New from NH

Hey! Tell us who you are and show us your Motorcycle!
If you don't have a Motorcycle, well that's okay!
If you don't know how to post a pic, scroll down to Forum Help.
reiobard
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 96 VS1400

New from NH

Post by reiobard »

Hey everyone, just purchased a 1996 VS1400 and will be looking into the cruiser life starting once it warms up a bit. I have been riding sport bikes for about 15 years and also have a Yamaha R1. Picking up the Intruder for work commute and starting to let my Daughter ride on the back (she will be 9 when the season gets underway).

so, about the bike, 1996 Intruder 1400, 21,000 miles, Jardine pipes, looks really clean and starts and runs smooth. That is pretty much all i know about it. Anything i should take a look closely at, any basic maintenance I should do while it is still cold before I start riding it? I'm planning on changing the rear drive gear oil, engine oil, and thinking about the hydraulic clutch and brake fluids as well.

Image0120181252 by Rob Christian, on Flickr

And for the heck of it, here is my R1:
ImageR1 by Rob Christian, on Flickr

Forge
Joined a 250cc Club
My Bike: 99 Valkyrie Interstate- 05 S83

Re: New from NH

Post by Forge »

Welcome aboard! Download the online OEM Service manual from this site. The most overlooked maintenance item on these bikes is the 2 air filters. The oem filters are foam and deteriorate and crumble away. Congrats on the Intruder. That’s always been one of my favorite color schemes.
Arthritis sucks!

reiobard
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 96 VS1400

Post by reiobard »

Forge wrote:Welcome aboard! Download the online OEM Service manual from this site. The most overlooked maintenance item on these bikes is the 2 air filters. The oem filters are foam and deteriorate and crumble away. Congrats on the Intruder. That’s always been one of my favorite color schemes.

Thank you, I downloaded it this morning, I am looking forward to learning about the bike, and i will add the air filters to the list of things to look into. Any reccomendations on what to replace them with if the factory ones are an issue? Cut to fit foam? K&N?

Marauder03
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: Intruder 1400vs

Post by Marauder03 »

Hi welcome to the site, both are very nice looking bikes. Now you have the best of both worlds, nice cruiser and a rocket. Good luck with the new toy.

KAJUN
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: HARLEY THE BIG MOTHER

Post by KAJUN »

welcome to the board

ride safe and post often [emoji106]
The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting.