New from MD...

Hey! Tell us who you are and show us your Motorcycle!
If you don't have a Motorcycle, well that's okay!
If you don't know how to post a pic, scroll down to Forum Help.
skunkle121
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: VS800gl

New from MD...

Post by skunkle121 »

New member here from Maryland. Been riding for a few years now on a few different sport bikes. My step father rode in his youth and was bit by the bug to ride again so I found him a 95 intruder 800 with about 10k miles on it locally really cheap. The paint is pretty faded and its a bit rough cosmetically around the edges but it was dirt cheap and ran. I got him his learners and he started getting familiar again then he had to have surgery that took him off the bike for several months.

The bike has not been touched between 6-8 months and upon getting a new battery in it and starting it up idle is pretty rough and it struggles to get moving from a stop and accelerating without a bunch of throttle. It felt like it was essentially running from mostly just one cylinder. I have done a ton of reading how terrible it is to get these carbs on and off again but I decided to take on the project.

After a few hours of sweating and cussing I managed to get the carbs removed and ordered rebuild kits. Got the carbs opened up and cleaned after dealing with many stripped screws. The rear carb didn't look too bad but the front carb especially the float bowl had quite a bit of junked up gas in it. I rebuilt the carbs and put in new idle/pilot screws in both carbs because one was almost completely stripped out and didn't want to put it back in.

Somehow in the process I managed to damage the rear throttle cable where the sheathing meets the end of the cable so I had to order another one and am waiting on its arrival. I can't wait to get this part in the mail to wrap up this project and get his bike all sorted again. When it ran good the bike seemed to have pretty nice power for a small v twin and my step dad is really itching to get back on it.

When I cleaned up the carbs I did separate them so I know the synch will probably be off. Once I get the throttle cable in and I get the carbs back in the bike what steps should I take to get it dialed back in?? Probably carb synch then pilot screws? Thanks for reading.

Skunkle121

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Re: New from MD...

Post by navigator »

Welcome :cheers:
Ask this over in the tech section.
Get the sync as close as you can statically, have both carbs start to open at the same time.
get her running and adjust the A/F at a lower idle, then raise the idle to ~1000 rpm and start your sync process.

MadCow
Site Admin
My Bike: 2023 Pan America Special

Post by MadCow »

Where ya at in MD? I'm in Mechanicsville..
-DBTO

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Post by old time rider »

Welcome :cheers: Made it to Mary-land for first time this month on a motorcycle. Too hot,too H!!,and too much traffic.Good thing did not get crabs! If weather had been perfect and no traffic sure its a great place! :cheers: :putput:

skunkle121
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: VS800gl

Post by skunkle121 »

@Navigator Thanks for the tips. My cables will be coming in on Monday and probably will have to mess with bike on Tues. Ill let you know how everything goes. I have never synced carbs on a pair that were separated with a cable. The only one I have done was on a sport bike with carbs in a stack that were done with screws for each carb. Hopefully I can get it back up and running without too much issue.

@Madcow I am in Bowie MD which is rather close to DC and Annapolis.

@Old Time Rider Yea this month in particular has been pretty hot. Probably a bit hotter overall than usual actually. And depending on location traffic can be absolutely terrible especially around DC and Baltimore but there are areas in western MD that are the complete opposite and are quite rural with little to no traffic and very picturesque the closer you get to the WV line.

MadCow
Site Admin
My Bike: 2023 Pan America Special

Post by MadCow »

skunkle121 wrote:
@Madcow I am in Bowie MD which is rather close to DC and Annapolis.

Welcome aboard!
-DBTO

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2020 Tri Glide Ultra Harley

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

Welcome to the board

Ride safe and Be safe [emoji106]
duc, sequere, aut de via decede
"frapper fort, frapper vite, frappée souvent-- Adm William "Bull" Halsey
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"