Hello...

Hey! Tell us who you are and show us your Motorcycle!
If you don't have a Motorcycle, well that's okay!
If you don't know how to post a pic, scroll down to Forum Help.
wallylong
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: VS 1400 Intruder

Hello...

Post by wallylong »

I am new to the forum. I have been riding a 2004 VS800 Intruder for about 2 years and just purchased a 2004 VS1400 Intruder. I am keeping the 800 for my son to learn on.

Image Image

I do have a couple of questions I am hoping someone can answer. Having just purchased the 1400 Intruder, there are a couple of differences between the two.

When gearing down or cruising in the first 3 gears, I get some popping from the mufflers. The 800 does not do this. I'm wondering if this is normal or if it is a result of the carbs needing some cleaning. It only has 8,400 miles on it so maybe the carbs are a bit gummed up.

Also, I have noticed a lot more vibration in the 1400 than in the 800. It's not bothersome but it is noticeable. Again, is this normal on the larger bike or is there something I need to look at?

I really like the 1400. It starts easy, runs strong and has a lot of power. I just need to know if there is something that needs fixing or not.

Thank you,
Wally Long

m2h
Scooter Enthusiast
My Bike: 03 VS1400

Re: Hello...

Post by m2h »

wallylong wrote:I am new to the forum. I have been riding a 2004 VS800 Intruder for about 2 years and just purchased a 2004 VS1400 Intruder. I am keeping the 800 for my son to learn on.

Image Image

I do have a couple of questions I am hoping someone can answer. Having just purchased the 1400 Intruder, there are a couple of differences between the two.

When gearing down or cruising in the first 3 gears, I get some popping from the mufflers. The 800 does not do this. I'm wondering if this is normal or if it is a result of the carbs needing some cleaning. It only has 8,400 miles on it so maybe the carbs are a bit gummed up.

Also, I have noticed a lot more vibration in the 1400 than in the 800. It's not bothersome but it is noticeable. Again, is this normal on the larger bike or is there something I need to look at?

I really like the 1400. It starts easy, runs strong and has a lot of power. I just need to know if there is something that needs fixing or not.

Thank you,
Wally Long
Hi Wally, Welcome to the board. You're in the right place. Lots of info and help here. I have a 2003 1400 and once they are tuned right they are a mean machine. If yours has been sitting for a while or not run your gas may be old. The popping you describe sounds as if it may be a bit lean. Check threads here for adjusting the air fuel screws that should fix it. As for the vibration. if it feels a bit like the cylinders are fighting each other you probably need a carb sync, also threads here to show you how.
Have fun brother.
:cheers:
M2H
" Old Guys Rule!" :rock:

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2020 Tri Glide Ultra Harley

Re: Hello...

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

Welcome to the board

Ride safe and Be safe [emoji106]
duc, sequere, aut de via decede
"frapper fort, frapper vite, frappée souvent-- Adm William "Bull" Halsey
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"