New member!

Hey! Tell us who you are and show us your Motorcycle!
If you don't have a Motorcycle, well that's okay!
If you don't know how to post a pic, scroll down to Forum Help.
Kingkoa1
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: Suzuki intruder vs800

New member!

Post by Kingkoa1 »

Hey thanks for letting me in the group. Just bought a 98’vs800 in pretty good condition, snagged her for $1000😀 she’s been sitting for some years though and after some basic tune up stuff i got her running but didn’t put a fuel filter after carb clean and now she’s not starting 🫣i cleaned the bottom carb again and no luck so I’ll try the top carb.. hopefully it will run after. It sounds like it wants to go but then nothing. Any thoughts would be appreciated thanks. Changed plugs, oil, front brake fluid, clutch fluid, and final drive gear oil. Cleaned both carbs and changed out most fuel lines. Drained gas and put new with seafoam to no avail. Will post pictures soon.
“If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle!!”

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Re: New member!

Post by Designer »

WELCOME! ...New Member Kingkoa1! :space: :clap: :cheers:

Sounds like you snagged QUITE a mightyfine deal there! :space: :rock:

May I suugest?...you will find an abundance of Great Advice for your mechanical issues over in the Tech Section. :space: There have been several recent Threads about long-sitting Intruders which had Carb/Running issues that were solved over there.

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

I would verify that fuel is coming out of the petcock and then that the fuel pump is pumping fuel. If there is trash in the tank it can plug up the petcock and/or the fuel pump.

I don't remember the wires on the fuel pump relay but it can be jumpered at the connector to make it run when the key is on. I had the relay go bad on my 1400 and I jumpered it. These pumps stop when a set pressure is reached so I never bothered to replace the relay.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Post by sgtcall »

Kingkoa1 wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 7:31 pm
Hey thanks for letting me in the group. Just bought a 98’vs800 in pretty good condition, snagged her for $1000😀 she’s been sitting for some years though and after some basic tune up stuff i got her running but didn’t put a fuel filter after carb clean and now she’s not starting 🫣i cleaned the bottom carb again and no luck so I’ll try the top carb.. hopefully it will run after. It sounds like it wants to go but then nothing. Any thoughts would be appreciated thanks. Changed plugs, oil, front brake fluid, clutch fluid, and final drive gear oil. Cleaned both carbs and changed out most fuel lines. Drained gas and put new with seafoam to no avail. Will post pictures soon.
Welcome!
Here are a couple of things to check out.

POSTING PICTURES ON INTRUDERS ALERT
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=13992

INTRUDER MANUALS AND INFORMATION
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=14168
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.