Hey! Tell us who you are and show us your Motorcycle!
If you don't have a Motorcycle, well that's okay!
If you don't know how to post a pic, scroll down to Forum Help.
Springer Fla
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: VS 1400 and C50

Post by Springer Fla »

Hello all and greetings from Florida, USA.

I was just up to Daytona Bike Week, last week. Had the best warm weather week for it. I just spent over an hour re-sizing the pixels for my Avatar. I've been years trying to get that done! Explaining - that I used to be on the old IA Board over a decade or so, ago. Back then, I designed and built a few of these Springers for the VS 750 and VS 800. I'm not very computer literate for posting photos and I have an aversion to the legal terms of posting via 3rd party, as I have proprietary things going on.

Long story - short; I was away for many years and now I'm back but with limited time for posting. Here, I'm getting my posting to a whooping count of two and thought you all might enjoy seeing an Intruder with a Springer. I have a VS 1400 currently under construction and maybe it will soon to be on the road. More on that later. I will say that the C50 Springers won't work on the 1400's, or I may need heavier springs. I'm back to stock for now.

In closing, I'll add that the C50 Springers were 6" over. Handled like stock, and used all OEM components like; Handlebars, cables, wiring, horn, headlight, fender, brakes, etc. Extra was a 6" longer speedo cable, + 6" of brake line, turn signals and a Timken lower neck bearing. All Nuts and bolts were SS, except for the rockers. All for now. :rag:

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Re: New Member

Post by sgtcall »

Welcome!
Here are a couple of things to check out.

POSTING PICTURES ON INTRUDERS ALERT
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=13992

INTRUDER MANUALS AND INFORMATION
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=14168
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

Springer Fla
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Springer Fla »

Correction... On my last post, the VS 750 and 800 are S50s and not C50s and the VS 1400 is a Sport (S83). I sold the S50s years ago. It is my force of habit to write (C50) since the 800cc Boulevard, fuel injected Cruiser is my every day rider. The Cruiser is outfitted with Jumbo Saddleman saddlebags, since I'm older and spoiled. For saddlebag supports, I cut a steel computer case in half. Then I drilled some holes and welded washers for mounting. I also added extra washers for attaching bungee cords. The solid steel "L" shaped computer case is strong enough that I can carry two gallons of milk or a watermelon plus other groceries in the saddlebags. The full bottom support also acts as a heat shield from the stock exhaust.

Springer Fla
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Springer Fla »

Thanks Sgtcall. I have the manuals and as you probably know... posting photos is a lot of work (for me) and takes time. While computers and posting to the IA Board is intriguing, I'd rather be more physically active like > having the wind in my hair or wrenching on my bikes. I'll post as I find the time. Currently, I have 3 - 4 bike projects and no time to get to them.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

Those springer front ends look great on the VS800/S50!!

Springer Fla
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Springer Fla »

Thanks Navigator. The bike with the stock exhaust was my original owner, 1990 VS 750. I had it for over 16 yrs and with more than 60,000 mi. I built the Springer in 2003. The other bike was an extreme basket case that I bought in 2006. Except for the lower motor end, I had every bolt out of the bike and totally refurbished it. Amazingly, the basket case had all of the parts. At the most, I replaced a few nuts and bolts. This bike was a VS 800 (S50). The extra 50cc was noticeable and the Cobra exhaust had a mellow rumble. It was a really fun bike to ride!

In those years, I was broke and riding a chopped Yamaha with saddlebags, to go for groceries, I got saddlebag spoiled and sold the two Intruders. I was on the old I-A Board back then and we each went away. Now, I've got a VS 1400 and I've been experimenting with that - w/o changing the neck rake. So far no luck and only as I have the time since I have more important projects and family / home issues to deal with. I'm supposed to be retired but recent world situations have been a real drag (like) Covid, supply chain, the high price of gas, etc. I've been attending Daytona Bike week for the past 30 years and it has changed alot. For me, it's getting harder to find custom parts and electric motorcycles aren't too far away. All for now, I've got some wrenching to do.