Hello!

Hey! Tell us who you are and show us your Motorcycle!
If you don't have a Motorcycle, well that's okay!
If you don't know how to post a pic, scroll down to Forum Help.
Duckiemonster
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 87 Intruder-08 gsxr750-17 husk

Hello!

Post by Duckiemonster »

Hi everyone, been looking over the forum for a few weeks now in advance of my purchase, an 87 1400 with 20k on it, cosmetics are a bit rough but the price was right! Never had a cruiser before, started on a vstrom, moved to a gsxr, and now the cruiser so my lady and I can go touring together with a bit more comfort! This place has been a huge help already with figuring out what I needed to look for on the bike, and in a few weeks it'll be in my garage! (Seller is going through the carbs and changing oil for me)

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Re: Hello!

Post by sgtcall »

That is a good lookin bike, welcome.
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

Welcome to the board. My first intruder was an '87 that I bought new (a left over) in 89. I loved the bike and put over 154,000 miles on it. Then I bought a '99.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

Welcome :cheers:
Does it come with that new chain? :jester:

Duckiemonster
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Duckiemonster »

navigator wrote:
Tue Dec 27, 2022 7:26 am
Welcome :cheers:
Does it come with that new chain? :jester:
That's the upgraded 545 chain drive option doncha know!

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

Since one of the first things you are going to need is a seat I will suggest just putting a new cover on. It is an easy DIY project and only takes and hour or two to do it. I bought this cover on ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/224034710276 then added some foam padding that you can pick up at any hobby or craft store. The only tools required are a staple gun, 1/4 staples and a hair dryer.
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

Duckiemonster
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Duckiemonster »

sgtcall wrote:
Tue Dec 27, 2022 10:58 am
Since one of the first things you are going to need is a seat I will suggest just putting a new cover on. It is an easy DIY project and only takes and hour or two to do it. I bought this cover on ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/224034710276 then added some foam padding that you can pick up at any hobby or craft store. The only tools required are a staple gun, 1/4 staples and a hair dryer.
I'm torn between a cover and a Corbin seat that I found on ebay for less than half price. Etsy has a couple nice covers as well for about 80, but the things that picture doesn't show are priority for now. The speedometer looks like someone took a harbor freight stick welder to the sides, idiot lights are missing the cover, and rear turn signals are MIA. I've browsed all the LED signal threads so I'm prepared for that, and I see there are quite a few speedo replacements (oe and aftermarket) on ebay as well.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

Try and put together a good list of parts you need and post it here on IA, we have a good number of people that have spare parts on hand.

viewforum.php?f=20

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

Duckiemonster wrote:
Tue Dec 27, 2022 3:09 pm
sgtcall wrote:
Tue Dec 27, 2022 10:58 am
I'm torn between a cover and a Corbin seat that I found on ebay for less than half price. Etsy has a couple nice covers as well for about 80, but the things that picture doesn't show are priority for now. The speedometer looks like someone took a harbor freight stick welder to the sides, idiot lights are missing the cover, and rear turn signals are MIA. I've browsed all the LED signal threads so I'm prepared for that, and I see there are quite a few speedo replacements (oe and aftermarket) on ebay as well.
If you go with an aftermarket seat, Corbin is a good choice IMO.
Be sure the seat is 1400/S83 specific, ie. a vs800 seat won't fit.

Duckiemonster
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Duckiemonster »

navigator wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:49 am
If you go with an aftermarket seat, Corbin is a good choice IMO.
Be sure the seat is 1400/S83 specific, ie. a vs800 seat won't fit.
Thanks for the tip, that's one of the things I was curious about and hadn't checked into yet! Just tried to register today but need a Vin inspection as it hasn't been a NV bike before. Once more reason I vote libertarian 🤣

tabasco
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: VL1500 C90T + VS1400 Intruder

Post by tabasco »