VS800 Rider!

Hey! Tell us who you are and show us your Motorcycle!
If you don't have a Motorcycle, well that's okay!
If you don't know how to post a pic, scroll down to Forum Help.
Pio412
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: 2000 Suzuki Intruder VS800GL

VS800 Rider!

Post by Pio412 »

Hello everyone my name is Marco and I live in Pittsburgh, PA. My day job is a CAD designer for a coal mining and infrastructure company. I just picked up a 2000 Intruder VS800 for $1000 with only 7000 miles on it. Its having some starting issues which I'm trying to sort out.. (thank God its winter). I'm looking forward to getting advice on these machines and meeting everyone. Thanks and God bless. :rock:

https://ibb.co/crsn49R

Designer/Engineer

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Re: VS800 Rider!

Post by sgtcall »

Welcome to the forum!

I hope you find this site to be a great place to meet and talk with a great bunch of riders about any type of bike. Everyone here is very willing to help with questions or problems for any type of bike. I have personally saved lots of time and money thanks to the skilled help I have received from our members.

As you cruise around the many different sections of this site you will find a wealth of information. There are technical sections and chat sections for various topics.

Please post help requests in the sections related to your bike’s model. Most of the time you will get quick, informed responses.

If you want to just hang out and shoot the breeze the Chit Chat Channel Section will be the place to stop in. Feel free to join in on the banter and debates (arguments), I assure you some of our members may seem like they hate each other but each of them will come together to fix a problem or drink a beer.

If you are searching for a specific problem use the search on the top right or go to the correct section by selecting ‘Board Index’ then scrolling down. If you are looking for something that you posted, go to the top left of the page, click on ‘Quick Links’ and select ‘Your Posts’.

At the bottom right of the page you will find the FAQs section that may help you with the board. If you have additional questions go to THE TEAM link, also at the bottom right, and feel free to send a PM to the team members.

If you haven't done so already please fill out your Profile and make sure that your Profile includes the year and model of your bike(s), and as a minimum, your general geographic location. Knowing where you are can help us help you.

Remember, the only "dumb" question is the one you don’t ask. The answers you get may save your bike, your wallet or your life!

I hope you enjoy the site. The moderators are here to help if you have questions or concerns. Thanks for joining Intruders Alert.

I wish you safe riding. Keep the Shiny Side Up!
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

For the starting issue the first thing to check on an Intruder is the battery. Even if you think it's good take the battery to an auto parts store and have it load tested. Make sure the terminals are clean and tight, use sandpaper to clean them. Don't forget to trace out the negative cable to where it grounds and clean it. When putting the battery back in add star washers to the terminal bolts, they tend to vibrate loose and the star washers will keep them tight.

When starting it in the cold make sure to turn the enricher (choke) on then turn on the key, leave the clutch out and press the start button. You will hear the fuel pump prime the carbs. Once they are primed the pump should stop then pull the clutch and press start. This is assuming that your clutch safety has not been bypassed, if it has you can't prime the carbs.

If you don't already have one get a battery tender. You can hook up the lead to the two connection points at the bottom of your fuse box under the left side cover.

If you don't know how long it has been sitting fresh gas may help and be sure to check the tank for excessive gas.

If you need a service manual send me a PM with your email and I can send PDF version compliments of
Herb
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

Pio412
Practicing Bicycling

Post by Pio412 »

Awesome, Ill try those suggestions! Thanks for the advise sgtcall and ill send you a PM for that manual
Designer/Engineer

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

Keep in mind that the 800 and 1400 are different.
The 800 is not wired for that priming feature.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

navigator wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:53 am
:bow:

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

navigator wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:53 am
The older 1400s aren't either. not sure when that was added to the 1400.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

Pio412
Your picture disappeared, take a look here to see how to post pictures.
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=13992

Pio412
Practicing Bicycling

Post by Pio412 »

sgtcall wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:13 am
Pio412
Your picture disappeared, take a look here to see how to post pictures.
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=13992
fixed it...(i think) :dunno:

Yeah I'm assuming its the battery.. the terminals on the old battery were corroded. I also removed it, noticed the fluid was bubbling when i was trickle charging it.. so i tested it and it was sitting at 10.5 volts. So i ordered a new battery, when that comes in hopefully it should fix the starting issue.-- (the starting solenoid was just rapidly clicking and the engine was not turning over) Gotta get some star washers as well..... and i plan on cleaning and sanding all connections to make sure i have excellent connectivity.
Designer/Engineer

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

What battery did you order?

Getting one that fits is important but you also need one that has enough CCA for the bike and it is helpful if the terminals are bolted from the side not the top or front.
navigator
or
Herb
Can recommend a good battery for the 800.

Also trickle charging and a battery tender are different, you don't want to leave it on a charger for to long.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

My Go To.
Shop around for best price.

Pio412
Practicing Bicycling

Post by Pio412 »

That's the exact battery I ordered. How should I store this for the winter? Keep it on a maintainer?
Designer/Engineer

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

If it is in a garage keep it on a tender for at least a few hours each week.

Pio412
Practicing Bicycling

Post by Pio412 »

Okay so battery came in so I stuck it in made sure everything is tight and secure. Go to turn it over and it turns really slow, like the battery is low on power ( which it's not. It's a brand new motobatt). I also heard a squeaking/buzzing noise from a solenoid.. Checked voltage of battery before I stuck it in and it's 12.6v. Scary part is I noticed smoke coming from under the driver seat ( starter solenoid?) took off seat to check starter solenoid terminals and they were HOT. Checked Solenoid terminals with voltmeter and they read 12.48 volts. Hm. Now all the lights are out and the key does nothing..... checked all fuses and were good there. What's going on here? I also noticed a clicking under the passenger seat when I attempted to start it after waiting 10 minutes. I'm stumped now. :bang:
Designer/Engineer

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

Clicking could be the fuel pump.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

Sounds like you have a bad connection at the start solenoid.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Pio412
Practicing Bicycling

Post by Pio412 »

:donno: clicking isnt coming from the fuel pump and the connections are tight at the solenoid..,.
Designer/Engineer

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

Note the area that was the hotest and search for a wire shorted to ground or burned out.

Check for power at the main fuse, if it isn't there, trace the main hot wire back to the tie point on the battery cable.

If the 800 is the same as the 1400 the hot wire from the battery goes to the start solenoid and a wire splits off of the battery cable for the fuse box and from the main fuse it goes to the ignition switch then back to the fuse box.

Pio412
Practicing Bicycling

Post by Pio412 »

Thanks herb I will do that when I get a chance.

Another quick note: if I let the bike sit for a few hours, the headlight and dash lights turn on as normal when I turn the key, but once I hit the start button. Everything goes out like I blew a fuse... but all fuses are fine. :uhh:
Designer/Engineer

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

That sounds like a massive short to ground that is draining the battery. I wonder if the problem is at the starter? If it is shorting out, it could cause the problems you are having.

While you are checking it out you need to have the battery tested. Draining it like that can damage it.