Hello there!

Hey! Tell us who you are and show us your Motorcycle!
If you don't have a Motorcycle, well that's okay!
If you don't know how to post a pic, scroll down to Forum Help.
Thedoctor
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 800 intruder

Hello there!

Post by Thedoctor »

Hello, I'm new to this forum and thought I'd introduce myself. I live in New England, I've had a couple bikes in the past but mostly dual sports. I picked up a 94 Intruder 800 over the weekend for 600 dollars, the bikes been sitting for years in a barn so it needs some work but it actually appears to runs good. Unfortunately the fuel tank has a few pinholes in the rear corners so I need to figure that out but otherwise I'm excited to get it going. Hoping I can lean on everyone's knowledge here when needed! Nice to meet y'all!

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Re: Hello there!

Post by hillsy »

Welcome - if the pinholes in the tank are just that, then a tank sealer should fix that up. Go for the POR15 kit if you can get it and be meticulous in the prep. Or get another tank... lol... :cheers:

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

Welcome to The Board ! Always good to hear from fellow Intruder Owners from Across The Big Pond.

I suggest you might want look into a different Tank as a more reliable "fix".

Decades of Experience has shown me that using a Chemical Tank Liner alone might work for stopping the Gas Leakage, ( and it is alotta work to get it right) but does not address the rusting of the Steel Tank itself.

As anyone who is more than a Shade Tree Mechanic knows, each pinhole will continue to rust out on you.

So if you follow theh advice of using POR-15, you will also need to refinish/repaint the Whole Tank also.

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

If you don't get rid of the rust completely before you use the liner it's kinda pointless. Hence my saying you need to be meticulous in the prep. Lots of people think "that's good enough" when it isn't...

I've done many over the years and they will work and last if you do the prep properly and use a good quality product.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

Here's the instructions from the POR-15 website.

https://por15.com/products/fuel-tank-sealer

For the preparation required, sadly, they do not say anything about refinishing/addressing any rust the outside of the Tank. And saying ..."be meticulous in the prep"... doesn't directly mention/address the rust situation so that Thedoctor can to know it is necessary either.

Hence my mentioning it our New Member,.... so he has The Best advice in making a choice of what he is looking at coming up,....and going forward.

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

Designer, New England is just down the road a bit. :Innocence:

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

navigator wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:23 am
Designer, New England is just down the road a bit. :Innocence:
My bad. In my haste, I saw England only. I had in my mind International Shipment of orders for my Springs.

Thanks! :ShitGrinandThumb:

Thedoctor
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Thedoctor »

Thanks for the pointers! I actually tried Tig brazing the tank yesterday and it just blew holes through it it's so thin. I ended up cutting out a chunk to see how bad it was. It's not beyond bad just rotted in the rear corners, I'm actually going to try an hammer some copper to fit and Tig braze it on there. The used tanks I've seen are north of 250 and very questionable.. is there any other Suzuki makes that use a similar tank?

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

Thedoctor wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:51 pm
Thanks for the pointers! I actually tried Tig brazing the tank yesterday and it just blew holes through it it's so thin. I ended up cutting out a chunk to see how bad it was. It's not beyond bad just rotted in the rear corners, I'm actually going to try an hammer some copper to fit and Tig braze it on there. The used tanks I've seen are north of 250 and very questionable.. is there any other Suzuki makes that use a similar tank?
You have good skills for this undertaking. :ShitGrinandThumb:

Yeah, having the holes keep getting bigger and bigger is what I have often seen when this sort of rust is encountered. The water on top of the gas has a lotta time to work on the Metal inside.

There's really no other tank that I know of that will bolt right on other than the Intruder tank. To me, they are about THE prettiest Tanks out there.

Keep us up-to-date on your progress ! :cheers:

Thedoctor
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Thedoctor »

I've actually never tried this with copper before but it sounded like a good idea at the time.. tanks junk anyway so if I can cobble it together again I'll be tickled.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

Given the very different coefficients of expansion/contraction of Steel and Copper, I am interested in how the use of Copper here comes out in the long run.

Thedoctor
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Thedoctor »

As a quick update I actually ended up just using steel, the tank was really thin in the corner so I cut out everything up to the petcock and replaced it. Not pretty but it doesn't leak and Ive been riding it quite a bit. I will say the seat is not very comfortable though. I feel like I need to be sitting 4 inches more rearwards.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

Thedoctor wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:38 am
As a quick update I actually ended up just using steel, the tank was really thin in the corner so I cut out everything up to the petcock and replaced it. Not pretty but it doesn't leak and Ive been riding it quite a bit. I will say the seat is not very comfortable though. I feel like I need to be sitting 4 inches more rearwards.
Do you have any pictures of the tank?

You might find that Forward Controls will alleviate the "cramped" feeling you are having.

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2020 Tri Glide Ultra Harley

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

Welcome to the board

Ride safe and post often :ShitGrinandThumb:
duc, sequere, aut de via decede
"frapper fort, frapper vite, frappée souvent-- Adm William "Bull" Halsey
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"