from Minnesota with 1400 intruder issues

Hey! Tell us who you are and show us your Motorcycle!
If you don't have a Motorcycle, well that's okay!
If you don't know how to post a pic, scroll down to Forum Help.
F2w
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 2001 Suzuki Intruder 1400

from Minnesota with 1400 intruder issues

Post by F2w »

:bang: Bought a 2001 Suzuki intruder 1400 a few weeks ago I just turned over 7,000 miles so it hasn't been ridden much. Anyway it was mint on the test ride and I didn't really think anything funny on the 90 mile ride home either subsequently rode thereafter and discovered problems I thought where caused by carbs and bad coil it was ruining like crap wouldn't stay idling really didn't care much for being at full operating temp but ran fine after you let it cool down and started it up again backfired a lot out of the front head honestly backfired from both but more from the front from running super rich I figured it stunk from it and I had some power loss redid the carbs and stopped the backfire and stink seemed to recover some power but after that I had let it idle for about 5 mins after riding maybe thirty miles so just a small small ride and it died while idling again and this time when I tried to start it up right away it wouldn't start got some what I'll assume is piston slap once or twice and heard some other horrible shit from the starter but anyway I let it cool off and it started fine I still haven't done the coils because now it's leaking oil from the breather hose connected to the air box above front head I'm super confused and I'm honestly ready to give up after spending what I have on this thing I can't afford to pull the engine and redo the front head of it's causing positive pressure In the case and that's why I'm leaking out that breather if this is actually a simple thing someone please help before I get rid of this bike out of exasperation

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder 1400

Re: from Minnesota with 1400 intruder issues

Post by FallenAngel »

Welcome to the Intruders Alert

From the symptoms you posted it sounds like you may have glazed one of the cylinders.
Runs fine cold but runs lick crap when hot
Check your compression or if you can do a leak down test.
And because yo mentioned it runs worse hot I would check compression after warming it up as well
First cold dry
Then cold wet(Add oil to the cylinders)
Then hot dry
Then Hot wet

And post the results

Or if you have a boro scope you can look at the cylinder walls they should be dull in appearance not shinny like a mirror

MadCow
Site Admin
My Bike: 2023 Pan America Special

Post by MadCow »

Any updates?
-DBTO

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by FallenAngel »

MadCow wrote:Any updates?
His profile says he logged in the day after making his post
If what I think happened My post may have scared him off as he mentioned he spent everything he had on his bike
Shame to I would have liked to see pictures

F2w
Tricycles are Cool

Post by F2w »

I'm still here everyone thank you for your feedback had a crazy last few days with the kids here from their mothers I'm gonna be tearing it down to do the compression test and check my air cleaner box for a sopping wet air filter in the next couple days I have to try to get it done before going back to work this weekend its just so odd to me that is not smoking out of either tailpipe...I just took it out on the highway and spanked it a bit too the other day and it seemed to react fine but I didn't ride for long either so I'm at a loss till I do the tests and invest in a borescope I will keep you updated and add pictures of the process as I get it underway

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

If you have an issue with the valve train or rings, etc it will not be crap one day and OK the next.

How is the oil level? If you have gas leaking into the engine from a dirty or stuck float valve it could increase the oil level and thin the oil enough to blow out the breather. Take off the oil fill cap and smell the oil. If it smells like gas, then there's gas in there.

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by FallenAngel »

F2w wrote:I'm still here everyone thank you for your feedback had a crazy last few days with the kids here from their mothers I'm gonna be tearing it down to do the compression test and check my air cleaner box for a sopping wet air filter in the next couple days I have to try to get it done before going back to work this weekend its just so odd to me that is not smoking out of either tailpipe...I just took it out on the highway and spanked it a bit too the other day and it seemed to react fine but I didn't ride for long either so I'm at a loss till I do the tests and invest in a borescope I will keep you updated and add pictures of the process as I get it underway
You can get a n inexpensive Borescope that plugs into your smart phone on line about $25.00 maybe even cheaper. I have a couple that I haven't used. I also have a couple with dedicated screens I paid a little under $300.00 for. Useful tools but more of a novelty tool
A compression tester would probably be the tool I would get first. It is a better diagnostic tool

Follow Hillsys lead first
hillsy wrote:If you have an issue with the valve train or rings, etc it will not be crap one day and OK the next.

How is the oil level? If you have gas leaking into the engine from a dirty or stuck float valve it could increase the oil level and thin the oil enough to blow out the breather. Take off the oil fill cap and smell the oil. If it smells like gas, then there's gas in there.

Hillsy made a good point about the stuck float If it thins out the oil you may not see much smoke.

If the oil smells like gas then do a flush and oil change with a new filter and take it for a putt.

Glad your still with us and best of luck

F2w
Tricycles are Cool

Post by F2w »

Just had the carbs cleaned three weeks ago and I changed the oil myself right after that according to the levels indicated in the service manual but I agree if it was something serious in the head or cylinder it would consistently run shitty you'd think and thank you I'll save the borescope till later I'm still wondering about poor coils I'm gonna check those

F2w
Tricycles are Cool

Post by F2w »

I know coils would have nothing to do with the oil but it could explain why it runs shitty sometimes after warming up and runs mint after its cool cause the electrical connections could be failing under full load at high temp idk just a thought

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by FallenAngel »

F2w wrote:Just had the carbs cleaned three weeks ago and I changed the oil myself right after that according to the levels indicated in the service manual but I agree if it was something serious in the head or cylinder it would consistently run shitty you'd think and thank you I'll save the borescope till later I'm still wondering about poor coils I'm gonna check those
Did you check the oil for a fuel odor?

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by FallenAngel »

F2w wrote:I know coils would have nothing to do with the oil but it could explain why it runs shitty sometimes after warming up and runs mint after its cool cause the electrical connections could be failing under full load at high temp idk just a thought
A glazed cylinder will run well cold and drop out when hot

One of my first jobs at a shop was to remove engine from one car(a tree fell on it) and install it in another.
It ran fine. Customer brought it back at night and said in ran like crap. We pulled it in the shop and it ran fine took it for a drive and it ran fine.
It ran fine when the customer picked it up. A couple days later they brought it back.My New employer kept saying I messed op the engine putting it in So I found the dead hole and looked at it with a borescope. The cylinder was as shinny as a mirror.
He sold the customer a bad engine
It had a leaky injector and the rings polished the cylinder wall

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by FallenAngel »

Also if you used synthetic oil it wont burn. Check your exhaust pipe for oil

F2w
Tricycles are Cool

Post by F2w »

No oil in either exhaust so far as I can tell

F2w
Tricycles are Cool

Post by F2w »

But regardless if it's a glazed cylinder that means pulling the engine right

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by FallenAngel »

F2w wrote:But regardless if it's a glazed cylinder that means pulling the engine right
Correct
Pull the engine
remove the head and cylinder
Hone the cylinder and re ring the piston
and re-assemble

First I would try everything else
You mention you had already changed the oil. If that oil has been contaminated with fuel then it needs to be replaced.

Also recheck your carb sync

F2w
Tricycles are Cool

Post by F2w »

Tore down the bike hit roadblocks everywhere sent my bro to the parts store for a compression tester and of course it happens to not fit being as it's a rental and I'm on a budget till I get paid I didn't buy the proper fitment to use so that didn't work the oil does not smell like gas However so since I couldn't really tell if there was oil in the exhaust through the finger sized hole in the end of the stock pipe I figured I'd take em halfway and leave the goosenecks on Wich would give me adequate room etc to check but that didn't work out either some of the bolts where fused didn't wanna snap em off so I hit em with penetrating oil gonna try again. Have to get at it again next week I work all weekend starting tomorrow

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by FallenAngel »

F2w wrote:Tore down the bike hit roadblocks everywhere sent my bro to the parts store for a compression tester and of course it happens to not fit being as it's a rental and I'm on a budget till I get paid I didn't buy the proper fitment to use so that didn't work the oil does not smell like gas However so since I couldn't really tell if there was oil in the exhaust through the finger sized hole in the end of the stock pipe I figured I'd take em halfway and leave the goosenecks on Wich would give me adequate room etc to check but that didn't work out either some of the bolts where fused didn't wanna snap em off so I hit em with penetrating oil gonna try again. Have to get at it again next week I work all weekend starting tomorrow
You may have a weep hole on the stock exhaust for water to drain. Depending on how long or how bad the problem is you may not see any oil seeping from the weep hole. A little soot is normal. I noticed a problem with one of my 87's after letting it idle in the rain. I had a patch of oil in the driveway (after some rain fall)behind the bike about 2 feet long. No smoke just oil and a wet exhaust pipe. It has synthetic oil in it. No blow by I determined it needs valve seals
I think I have 5 fittings with my compression tester and I think 7 with my leak down tester.

I feel your pain brother

May I ask how you synced the carbs when you rebuilt the carbs?

F2w
Tricycles are Cool

Post by F2w »

Carbs done professionally

Suzuki Johnny
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2020 Tri Glide Ultra Harley

Post by Suzuki Johnny »

Welcome to the board

Post often
Ride Safe and Be Safe :ShitGrinandThumb:
duc, sequere, aut de via decede
"frapper fort, frapper vite, frappée souvent-- Adm William "Bull" Halsey
“We’re not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we’re going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.”--Gen George Patton
"Our Liberty is insured by four "Boxes", the Ballot box, the Jury box, the Soap box and the Cartridge box"

Forge
Joined a 250cc Club
My Bike: 99 Valkyrie Interstate- 05 S83

Post by Forge »

Welcome aboard from San Antonio, TX!
Arthritis sucks!