First bike in over 16 years, Intruder 750

Hey! Tell us who you are and show us your Motorcycle!
If you don't have a Motorcycle, well that's okay!
If you don't know how to post a pic, scroll down to Forum Help.
KennyFSU
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: 1991 Suzuki Intruder 750

First bike in over 16 years, Intruder 750

Post by KennyFSU »

Hi. My first bike was a GSXR-600 that I bought while in college back in 2003, it was my only ride for over 2 years and loved it (except during the rains and hurricanes lol).

I started getting "the itch" so I just recently picked up a '91 Intruder with 16k on the ticker for $1000 (hope I didn't get shafted) and runs great. The front caliper tends to stick every now and then so I may need to replace or rebuild it.

What are some usual maintenance work that should be performed at the age and mileage other than the usual oil change, brake/clutch fluid bleed, coolant change, and spark plugs? Thanks all.

franktiregod
Joined a 900cc Club
My Bike: SUZUKI

Re: First bike in over 16 years, Intruder 750

Post by franktiregod »

Great bikes and you did well.

If you havent had a bike in that long you definitely need to take a training/refresher course.

Good luck and enjoy!!

Radmax
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 1993 VS800GL

Post by Radmax »

At that age... no matter how well it was maintained almost everything plastic or rubber is going to start going soon. Tires would be the first thing to look at. If it doesn't have very recent ones check and make sure the rubber is still grippy and not hard. Second would be fuel lines, they get hard and crack.. and you don't want a ruptured line igniting between your legs. I recommend the factory lines, they are pre-formed and won't kink on you. Third I would put some new coolant hoses on. Fourth go over the brakes and master cylinders. The rest you just have to be vigilant and inspect often and over time just start replacing and rebuilding things. Rebuild the carbs, put new o-rings in the intakes, check the various hoses, cables, boots and gaskets, make sure shocks are still working well. Having a bike that old is great if you also like working on them...
-- Zoom Zoom --

KennyFSU
Practicing Bicycling

Post by KennyFSU »

Radmax wrote:At that age... no matter how well it was maintained almost everything plastic or rubber is going to start going soon. Tires would be the first thing to look at. If it doesn't have very recent ones check and make sure the rubber is still grippy and not hard. Second would be fuel lines, they get hard and crack.. and you don't want a ruptured line igniting between your legs. I recommend the factory lines, they are pre-formed and won't kink on you. Third I would put some new coolant hoses on. Fourth go over the brakes and master cylinders. The rest you just have to be vigilant and inspect often and over time just start replacing and rebuilding things. Rebuild the carbs, put new o-rings in the intakes, check the various hoses, cables, boots and gaskets, make sure shocks are still working well. Having a bike that old is great if you also like working on them...
Great info, thank you for the input.

DevilsFan
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2018 Honda CB650F

Post by DevilsFan »

Just saw this thread, Welcome! And nice find!

Like everyone said, these bikes are pretty solid so ride the hell out of it!

Where abouts are you located? Is the FSU for Florida State University? You may be close by.
There will be a time where you will no longer be able to use, "But...I didn't know!", as an excuse. And if you're exiled from society, well, you were warned.

KennyFSU
Practicing Bicycling

Post by KennyFSU »

DevilsFan wrote:Just saw this thread, Welcome! And nice find!

Where abouts are you located? Is the FSU for Florida State University? You may be close by.
Thank you, my girlfriend and I have been enjoying it very much. Her only complaint was the rear seat, it's a little narrow and hurts her butt after about an hour of riding.

You are correct, FSU c/o 2006 but I now live in Tampa.

DevilsFan
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 2018 Honda CB650F

Post by DevilsFan »

KennyFSU wrote:
DevilsFan wrote:Just saw this thread, Welcome! And nice find!

Thank you, my girlfriend and I have been enjoying it very much. Her only complaint was the rear seat, it's a little narrow and hurts her butt after about an hour of riding.

You are correct, FSU c/o 2006 but I now live in Tampa.

Then you're in my neck of the woods!!!

Let me know if you ever want to hook up for a ride and lunch! I mean...whenever this upcoming rain stops!!! Figures, the week is hot and sunny. The weekEND...50-60% chance of rain and t-storms! :hellfire:
There will be a time where you will no longer be able to use, "But...I didn't know!", as an excuse. And if you're exiled from society, well, you were warned.

KAJUN
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: HARLEY THE BIG MOTHER

Post by KAJUN »

Welcome to the board Kenny

Ride safe and post often [emoji106]
The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting.