New guy with VS1400.

Hey! Tell us who you are and show us your Motorcycle!
If you don't have a Motorcycle, well that's okay!
If you don't know how to post a pic, scroll down to Forum Help.
navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Re: New guy with VS1400.

Post by navigator »

This is from your duplicate thread on the bike talk board:
Herb wrote:Welcome to the board.

All of the suggestions are good ones.

Also, check to make sure the choke cable isn't sticking.

There is a vacuum fitting under the carb on the front cylinder that has a hose going to the boost sensor. I had one break right where it comes out of the cylinder fitting.

BTW there is a downloadable electronic manual locked at the top of this forum.
Check the booster hose and the grip adjustment.
Let us know.

CheapHeap
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 2000 VS1400

Post by CheapHeap »

navigator wrote:This is from your duplicate thread on the bike talk board:
Herb wrote:Welcome to the board.

All of the suggestions are good ones.

Also, check to make sure the choke cable isn't sticking.

There is a vacuum fitting under the carb on the front cylinder that has a hose going to the boost sensor. I had one break right where it comes out of the cylinder fitting.

BTW there is a downloadable electronic manual locked at the top of this forum.
Check the booster hose and the grip adjustment.
Let us know.
I originally posted it on new members, then tried to move it to bike talk but couldn't get it to delete when i tried. Sorry for the double post. I will check all that stuff. Messed with it for a few but didn't get too far tonight before I had to stop. I'm going to look for and download that shop manual. Thanks!

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

No problem, the manual is at the top of the VS1400/S83 section.
Post any future issues there and they will be viewed more than the new member area.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3338

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder 1400

Post by FallenAngel »

CheapHeap wrote:
Tank and seat are off. Front air box sucks. Rear air box sucks. Carbs still look buried if you ask me. I am determined to get this thing running right. I refuse to pay another human to do something I can do myself. This thing is nothing like my Sportster
Im wondering if your slides are stuck open
Ounce you get the front carb intake (snorkle) off you can see the slide It should slide with little resistance and then return
The rear Ounce you get the rear rubber off you can stick your finger into the throat and feel the slide See if it moves and returns

I wounder if the spring that pushes the slide is missing or broken

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

FallenAngel wrote:
CheapHeap wrote:
Tank and seat are off. Front air box sucks. Rear air box sucks. Carbs still look buried if you ask me. I am determined to get this thing running right. I refuse to pay another human to do something I can do myself. This thing is nothing like my Sportster
Im wondering if your slides are stuck open
Ounce you get the front carb intake (snorkle) off you can see the slide It should slide with little resistance and then return
The rear Ounce you get the rear rubber off you can stick your finger into the throat and feel the slide See if it moves and returns

I wounder if the spring that pushes the slide is missing or broken
Good idea.

As long as it sat there is a good possibility that the slides are corroded and sticking. Since the vacuum is enough to pull the slides up against the spring pressure it might be enough to pull them up and the spring is not strong enough to push it back down. It is easy to pull the tops off the carbs with them installed and work them with PB Blaster to free them up.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

CheapHeap
Tricycles are Cool

Post by CheapHeap »

I know the front one has spring pressure against it and it moves and returns. I have to check the rear one to see if it moves

CheapHeap
Tricycles are Cool

Post by CheapHeap »

Ok so both slides are working however while fighting the air filter tube off of the rear carb i noticed where the carb was moving. Where the carb clamps to the manifold is loose. Starting pulling more things out of the way to access the clamp screw had to go inside due to numb fingers. A leak between the carb and manifold could mess with idle speed though. Hopefully that's all it is. I may go back out in a bit when my hands warm up some. I did also notice that the two hoses going to the shutoff valve on the left side are wet at the clamps and also the rear carb is wet in spots down low. Hopefully its just fuel seeping from that loose clamp and not another leak to deal with.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

CheapHeap wrote:Ok so both slides are working however while fighting the air filter tube off of the rear carb i noticed where the carb was moving. Where the carb clamps to the manifold is loose. Starting pulling more things out of the way to access the clamp screw had to go inside due to numb fingers. A leak between the carb and manifold could mess with idle speed though. Hopefully that's all it is. I may go back out in a bit when my hands warm up some. I did also notice that the two hoses going to the shutoff valve on the left side are wet at the clamps and also the rear carb is wet in spots down low. Hopefully its just fuel seeping from that loose clamp and not another leak to deal with.
Seeing you are in this deep you may as well take off the carbs and clean them.

Squisher
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: 2003 Intruder 1400

Post by Squisher »

Trust me these are going to be cake compared to getting 4 carbs out from the valley of an 84 v4 Magna! :jester:

However, since it's been sitting just bite the bullet and get them out. Either the cable is binding up, or the butterflies are sticky from nasty old gas turned to varnish. Either way, it'll never be "right" until it gets cleaned out. As long as you ride it regularly after you shouldn't have to go that far again.

Pull them out, fully disassemble and clean thoroughly. I've used Berryman's Chem-Dip (looks like a gallon paint pail, found at local auto parts store) with great success, even on some super nasty ones (13+ years sitting). Remove any plastic/rubber/non-metal and soak overnight then rinse. Comes out like new.

Since you'll have it apart at that time, it's a good idea to check/lube all the cables. If you dig around in the tech section for the 1400, somebody's got the shop manual posted up.

MadCow
Site Admin
My Bike: 2023 Pan America Special

Post by MadCow »

hillsy wrote:
CheapHeap wrote:Ok so both slides are working however while fighting the air filter tube off of the rear carb i noticed where the carb was moving. Where the carb clamps to the manifold is loose. Starting pulling more things out of the way to access the clamp screw had to go inside due to numb fingers. A leak between the carb and manifold could mess with idle speed though. Hopefully that's all it is. I may go back out in a bit when my hands warm up some. I did also notice that the two hoses going to the shutoff valve on the left side are wet at the clamps and also the rear carb is wet in spots down low. Hopefully its just fuel seeping from that loose clamp and not another leak to deal with.
Seeing you are in this deep you may as well take off the carbs and clean them.
Agree ^^
-DBTO