New guy with VS1400.

Hey! Tell us who you are and show us your Motorcycle!
If you don't have a Motorcycle, well that's okay!
If you don't know how to post a pic, scroll down to Forum Help.
CheapHeap
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 2000 VS1400

New guy with VS1400.

Post by CheapHeap »

New to the site and to Japanese bikes. Just picked up a 2000 Intruder Cleaned it up some, put a new battery in it and some fresh gas after sitting in a shed since 2015 and boom it fired right up. Only problem with that is the engine races at like 5k rpm at idle with occasional backfiring. I checked for pinched cables and that the linkages on the carbs move free and they are ok, and I tried adjusting the idle screw on the right side rear carb but it doesn't seem to change anything. I have never owned a bike with more than one carb and I think it has to be maybe sync or vacuum related maybe? I have been messing around with it a few nights a week and it has me so frustrated

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Re: New guy with VS1400. Help!

Post by hillsy »

Check the intake maniolds for cracks / air leaks. Sounds like it's pulling in some air and running lean.

Nice score for that money [emoji106]

CheapHeap
Tricycles are Cool

Re: New guy with VS1400. Help!

Post by CheapHeap »

hillsy wrote:Check the intake maniolds for cracks / air leaks. Sounds like it's pulling in some air and running lean.

Nice score for that money [emoji106]
Yeah it was a sweet score. This motor is packed in there pretty tight. Its hard to see anything without tearing half the bike apart. Would that cause it to race like that though? This thing screams from the second i start it up
(I moved the issue over to bike talk, seemed like it shouldn't have posted it under new member intro).
I'll have to look into that this week when I get back out to the garage

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club
My Bike: Suzuki Intruder 1400

Re: New guy with VS1400.

Post by FallenAngel »

Are both carbs resting at the stops?

CheapHeap
Tricycles are Cool

Post by CheapHeap »

FallenAngel wrote:Are both carbs resting at the stops?
I'm new to this so bare with me, I'm not sure what you mean by that. Do you mean fully returned via the throttle cable? The furthest I have gotten with it is made it start, shut it off because I didn't want to blow it up, watched both carbs when I twisted the throttle and both seem to have smooth full range of travel, and seem to move together. Are you saying maybe one is staying open?

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

CheapHeap wrote:
FallenAngel wrote:Are both carbs resting at the stops?
I'm new to this so bare with me, I'm not sure what you mean by that. Do you mean fully returned via the throttle cable? The furthest I have gotten with it is made it start, shut it off because I didn't want to blow it up, watched both carbs when I twisted the throttle and both seem to have smooth full range of travel, and seem to move together. Are you saying maybe one is staying open?
Do you have 1/8" of freeplay at the grip before the carbs butterflies start to open?

CheapHeap
Tricycles are Cool

Post by CheapHeap »

I will need to check when I go out to the garage again tomorrow. If I don't, where would I adjust it?

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

You adjust it where the cable exits the switchbox, chrome tube, slide the rubber cover up the cable to expose the adjuster.
I was over on the bike talk board.
Welcome, you have some great roads down there, I'm above Albany.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

If that adjustment is good, you may have an issue at the cable splitter under the tank.

CheapHeap
Tricycles are Cool

Post by CheapHeap »

navigator wrote:If that adjustment is good, you may have an issue at the cable splitter under the tank.
The cable splitter seems to move the throttles simutaniously. I am hating this dual carb thing so far. Does anyone make a manifold to run a single carb for these things?

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

CheapHeap wrote:
navigator wrote:If that adjustment is good, you may have an issue at the cable splitter under the tank.
The cable splitter seems to move the throttles simutaniously. I am hating this dual carb thing so far. Does anyone make a manifold to run a single carb for these things?
I'm thinking they are not fully closing, check the grip adjustment.
No commercially available manifold for a single setup.
Dual carbs rock....Once it is dialed in you will love it.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

Just thnking...also, perhaps the slides are hung open from sitting.

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by FallenAngel »

CheapHeap wrote: I am hating this dual carb thing so far. Does anyone make a manifold to run a single carb for these things?
I used to be intimidated by the Intruders Obnoxious carb set up
Ounce you understand them and work with them The mystery seems to go away

Nice Score By the way

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by FallenAngel »

navigator wrote:Just thnking...also, perhaps the slides are hung open from sitting.
I was thinking the same thing But it seems to me that even if the slides where hanging up If the throttle plates where not open it would die because of an over rich condition

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

FallenAngel wrote:
navigator wrote:Just thnking...also, perhaps the slides are hung open from sitting.
I was thinking the same thing But it seems to me that even if the slides where hanging up If the throttle plates where not open it would die because of an over rich condition
Yes - the butterflies govern the rpm....the slides adjust the mixture.

It takes very little opening of the butterflies for a motor with no load to start "racing". If the cable issues/checks don't resolve it you need to dig a bit deeper (as in get the carbs out).

CheapHeap
Tricycles are Cool

Post by CheapHeap »

Getting the carbs out is what I am dreading. It just looks aggravating. I'll check the butterflies next time I'm out there and let you guys know what I find. Thanks for all the help so far.

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by FallenAngel »

CheapHeap wrote:Getting the carbs out is what I am dreading. It just looks aggravating. I'll check the butterflies next time I'm out there and let you guys know what I find. Thanks for all the help so far.
hillsys correct
Next step would be to pull the carbs
It isnt as hard as it looks
Do you have a little slack in the throttle cable as suggested by navigator
Also the spliter is secured the the front carb intake by a small screw if this is not secured it may cause the problem your describing

CheapHeap
Tricycles are Cool

Post by CheapHeap »

I will have to check those things better either tonight or possibly tomorrow. I will report back my findings. Thanks again so far for everyone's help

FallenAngel
Joined a 950cc Club

Post by FallenAngel »

CheapHeap wrote:I will have to check those things better either tonight or possibly tomorrow. I will report back my findings. Thanks again so far for everyone's help
For my part Your welcome
You can get a better view of the carbs and the spliter after removing the seat and Tank
I hope that helps

CheapHeap
Tricycles are Cool

Post by CheapHeap »

FallenAngel wrote:
CheapHeap wrote:I will have to check those things better either tonight or possibly tomorrow. I will report back my findings. Thanks again so far for everyone's help
For my part Your welcome
You can get a better view of the carbs and the spliter after removing the seat and Tank
I hope that helps
Tank and seat are off. Front air box sucks. Rear air box sucks. Carbs still look buried if you ask me. I am determined to get this thing running right. I refuse to pay another human to do something I can do myself. This thing is nothing like my Sportster