Howdy from Oklahoma

Hey! Tell us who you are and show us your Motorcycle!
If you don't have a Motorcycle, well that's okay!
If you don't know how to post a pic, scroll down to Forum Help.
OkJlo
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 2005 S83 Boulevard

Howdy from Oklahoma

Post by OkJlo »

JLo here from Southwest Oklahoma. I've been riding older Japanese bikes for 20+ years starting with a '76 CB360T my uncle gave me as a truck load of crates.
Currently my garage is filled with these jewels;
1) bought new 2015 Yamaha SR400 to fill the zippy bill.
2) a basically new 2005 S83 from my buddy who had been unable to ride it due to medical problems. I picked it up with just over 2k miles on the clock.
3) A basket case Honda CX500 I've been fooling with off and on for 4 years. (I've got young kids so not lots of time)

I came here to get learned up on the VS1400s. I'm a jet mechanic by trade so not much I can't undertake. Certainly things I'd prefer not to do though, like anything involving a 21st century Goldwing.

OkJlo
Tricycles are Cool

Re: Howdy from Oklahoma

Post by OkJlo »

Yes...that's a very small Heeler mix, in a bow tie, on a motorcycle.

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Suzi 1400

Post by YoDude »

At least he know his manners! Welcome aboard!

Yo-
Intelligence is just the right thing to have, to render yourself extinct.

Ron Zee
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: 2003 Yamaha Roadstar

Post by Ron Zee »

Welcome to the board. If your Suzuki is anything like mine, your gonna love it. I also had a CB360. Drove it all one winter in Ct. when I let my twit girlfriend use my car after she killed hers. Sub zero temps couldn't keep it from starting and running. Hard to believe how good it handled the snow.
There's pretty much nothing you can't find out how to fix on the Suzuki on this site. Hopefully you wont have to do anything to it. [emoji106]
"Do, or do not, there is no try,,"

OkJlo
Tricycles are Cool

Post by OkJlo »

I can't imagine there will be much to fix for a while. I found a fouled plug on the first long ride. He kept it in his garage for years hiding behind stuff and only rode it short trips. This the fouling from old gas & cool engine. He put Jardine drags, k&n filters, a jet kit, & Corbin seat on it. He went to sell and I was like...yoink!

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Post by old time rider »

Welcome OKJlo :cheers: So easy to find low mile motorcycles.So many owners and a few riders. [emoji2] Had two 1980 SR 500s that the 400 like yours were made from.500 came with mag wheels ,but other wise look about the same. Same line the pointer up in the top glass and kick.I put over 80,000 on one of mine and about that on the other.I rode mine to work a 97 mile round trip.One AM when leaving from 3rd shift it fouled a high mile plug.They usually start by second kick every time.Took the little tool kid out for first time in around a year.The extra spark plug I had in it had ground it self all the way through the side of box and beat the threads all the way off one side of plug against the metal tool box.They may be plastic on yours?Had to go back in to my manchine floor job and use the sand blaster to clean up the fouled plug.They are so much fun solo on no line back roads.They do not like interstates.Even with two teeth up on front sprocket still took same bearing out of one of mine.Second time it took part of side case with it. Have fun and post often. :putput:

OkJlo
Tricycles are Cool

Post by OkJlo »

My tool box is plastic as you thought. I use an iridium plug and wring the heck out of it so no worries on fouling there. The good thing about the 400s as opposed to the 500s is less rotating mass and a shorter stroke. That plus the 30 years of advancements in oil and metals tech means I can run her at 6k rpm all day long. It is very fun in what few twisties we have around here. I put a 20 tooth sprocket on the front. Now I can comfortably run 75 actual for a half hour or so. After that my feet start to go numb from the sweet vibes. Riding it definitely makes me appreciate the big gal on the highway. The little Honda is as smooth as a Goldwing, but is a complex Electro-Gremlin filled monster.

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Post by old time rider »

Hope they are that much better at long life than a high mile SR500.Four years was all the SR500 was in U.S..1978 - 1981 The 80,81 have lighter fly wheels.Yamaha more than most the Japan bikes keeps bikes around and uses parts from others in the family.Looks like the 400 may have a short run all so as see lots of low mile and old/new ones for sale.Means good buys for us that like them but hope they stay longer than the SR 500 did? 500XT and TT are the first of this group. The all street SR has deeper fins for cooler running. The XT and TT sure had a long run.I like the old British look of the motor on these and the 650 twin. :putput:
The bearing that went out in mine can be viewed after taking off the small tray on bottom of motor.Guess the 400 still has it.Bearing cage bits are a real bad sign if seen when taking the inspection tray off! :eek: .I am way too hard on my motorcycles even in old age.Had cases replaced under warranty on a 1978 Suzuki GS1000 after a hunk of clutch basket went through the back of motor.A bad thing. Have fun on the SR 400. I would trade one of my big bikes fast for one just to keep. :putput:

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Stolen 1-7-15 Returned 1-21-15

Post by BlacktopTravelr »

Welcome to the board, :cheers: I'm in Eastern Okla at Eufaula and ride a 1999 Intruder VS 800 with 133,xxx miles on it. Had the valves checked at around 32,000 miles, the teck said they were ok and not to worry about them any more unless it started acting up. So I change tires, oil and filter when needed (every 3,000 miles) and fill it with whatever gas is available and ride it. [emoji106]
:putput: (putt putt putt)
90 to 95% of my replies are for my own entertainment :space: :XmasTree:

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

:cheers: Welcome to the Board!

You have quite a Stable full of fine Rides there. [emoji106]

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

OkJlo
Tricycles are Cool

Post by OkJlo »

I just found out Friday that I'll be picking up a '71 Honda CB175 in the next couple of days. It's an odd little bike, but I like them that way. That little aircooled twin turning 10K rpm is quite a sound. It'll be a fun project, but I've sworn to not touch it till the CX500 and kid's playset is done.