Juicy and Tasty Beer Can Chicken.

That's right. Ya'll gotta have some good home cookin', right?
Post your favorite stuff here. Show pics if ya wanna!
Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Juicy and Tasty Beer Can Chicken.

Post by Designer »

I have been cooking this method for over 17 years now. Made all kinds of mistakes (once I put out the fire with a tipped over chicken) :blink: . It is more involved than merely throwing steaks on the Grill,...but it is SO worth it. [emoji106]

I will post it with the reasons why for each suggestion so you know what to expect from them.

Chicken Preparations:
First:...use a Chicken only about 3-3/4 to 4 pounds.
Why: Because any larger and the Breast gets WAY too big as compared to the Wings and Drumsticks. You end up overdoing them both just get the Breast fully done. To make up for a smaller sized bird, cook two birds and once. Takes the same Grill Space and Cooking Time, and you get twice as many Wings and Legs that way.

Second: Soak your Chicken in HOT tap water in the Sink for about 15 - 20 minutes before putting the Seasoning on. This is crucial!
Why: Because it does two good things.

1. It preheats all the Bones so that there is less disparity between them and the Meat . Cold bones take a longer time to heat up being they are deep inside the Bird... and so to get the Meat near them fully cooked, you overcook the Meat on the outside and dry it out
.......makes for more even cooking all around.

2. It hydrates the meat portion of the Bird,... and that is a good thing

Third: : Clean out the inside cavity well.
Why: There is often some bloody stuff and junk in there. Also, trim off all the exterior Fat. Leaving it on results in LOADS of fire. as it melts and drips. Cut off lot of the Neck Bones so there is good passage for the rising steam from the Can inside too

Fourth : Take the birds out of the water hold them over the sink of a few seconds to drain the inside cavity drain but leave the skin wet.
Why: So the Seasoning will stick to the skin of the Birds

Fifth: Season both birds everywhere but the back and put them back on the pan. Be sure to get all of the Skin done even between the Wings and Breast and the inside of each Thigh. You season the Backs just before you put the Can inside and they go on the Grill.
Why: Any seasonings you put on the backs right now will be left behind on the pan when you go to put them on the

Sixth: Replace the Beer with Water.
Why: The Beer imparts zero flavor and takes longer to heat up and create the humid environment that helps make the chicken juicy. Fill the can only 1/4 the way full with HOT tap water Just Before you put the Chicken on the grill (Do both so the water steams sooner) Do take a Church Key and open up the to of the can with 3-4 more openings (to let the steam out better)

The Grill Preparations:
First: Ya gotta use Charcoal.
Why: Charcoal has Radiant Heat and that makes a difference in how quickly and deep the cooking goes on. I use the Chimney method for starting the Charcoal. All it takes is one sheet of newspaper and about 15 minutes. I NEVER use that Starter Fluid! It imparts a petrochemical flavor to everything you cook...even Burgers.

Second: Fill one of those Chimneys from Weber full of NEW Charcoal only.
Why: Because the Fire has to last an hour. used charcoal burns out too fast and you don't have enough heat all the way to the end. The unburnt can be reused and is GREAT for Steaks ( I will tell you why another time)

The Weber 22.5 Inch diameter Grill does the job perfectly when you put the charcoal round the outside. Leave an open space in the middle for the Drip Pan to catch the drippings. You don't want them falling onto the Charcoal and starting a BIG FIRE. I use an old aluminum Pie Pan.,

Cooking
Put the Birds Back-to back in the Center of the Grill over the Drip Pan. Place the two legs outwards so they hold the Chickens up. Cook them covered at 325- degrees for one hour....any more than an hour and you are cooking away juiciness. When you take them off, be sure to let them sit for about 3-4 minutes before cutting and serving.

Why: They are still very HOT and keep cooking just a bit longer. The last portion of the Birds to be done is usually the inner thigh.

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Re: Juicy and Tasty Beer Can Chicken.

Post by old time rider »

I don't care for chicken.Will this work on a four pound small ground hog? :cheers:

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

Sure! [emoji2]

If you are that fast and can catch 'em.......why not eat 'em! :lol:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS

Ed Monterrey
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: s83 2005

Post by Ed Monterrey »

Thanks for share, I will tray it. :cheers:

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

After you do..........please let us know how it turned out. [emoji2]

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

Ed Monterrey wrote:Thanks for share, I will try it. :cheers:
Did you get a chance to try it out? :confused:

It's really good eatin'! :cheers: