Speedo Issues and Solutions

Xafius
Studying MC Handbook

Speedo Issues and Solutions

Post by Xafius »

I own an 01 VL800 so that is what this post is about but most years have only minor differences.

So my original problem what that my speedo was not working. All other gauge functions were. I found several things on the net about troubleshooting this but not all of it was in one place.
This will be a library of issues and fixes all in one place.

First off we have the broken sensor gear.

Here is the gear part number straight from Suzuki

This is a fairly common problem with the Volusia. It is caused by not having the teeth on the gear lined up with the slots on the wheel hub or sometimes an accident in which the front is hit fairly hard.
Fixing this is relatively simple.

Start by jacking up the motorcycle just enough so that the front wheel drags a little when you spin it. This make removal and re-installation of the tire easier.

Next remove the pinch bolt on the left fork at the bottom. It is a 10mm allen bolt.

Next remove the wheel shaft bolt. It is a 12mm allen bolt. It is right next to the pinch bolt. This bold runs all the way through the center of the wheel and screws into the other side.
Inspect the shaft to make sure there are no deep wear marks from a bad bearing or debris caught in between the shaft and the hub.
Clean all the old grease off and set aside.

It is possible to get the wheel on and off without removing the brake caliper.
Just tilt the handle bars one way or the other and roll the tire out.

Now inspect both sides of the hub for damage. and clean all the old grease and dirt off.
These things will work there way onto the shaft and cause wear.

Next clean all the old grease and dirt off of the speedo sensor. Also make sure there are no remaining pieces of the old gear left in it.

Grease the new sensor gear and slide into the sensor. Make sure you use plenty of grease. To much friction will heat it up and make it brittle which will make it fail sooner.

Now position the wheel back between the forks. Put a little grease on the axle bolt and slide it through to hold the wheel in place. Don't go all the way through yet.
Make sure the larger part of the spacer bushing is up against the wheel bearing. This protects the bearing from water and debris.

Next put the speedo sensor in between the wheel and fork. Make sure to line up the tabs of the gear to the ones in the hub.
Also make sure that you line up the sensor with the stud coming off of the right side fork.

Push the axle bolt the rest of the way through and tighten. Make sure not to let the wheel rotate while you do this or you might mis-align the tabs on the sensor gear.
The axle bolt tightens to 55 ft lbs.

And finally install the pinch bolt. Make sure you bounce the shocks up and sown a couple times before you tighten it all the way. This ensures the axle bolt is seated right.
The pinch bolt tightens to 24 ft lbs.

Double check and make sure everything is back where it is supposed to be. Make sure the brake pads are aligned.
You can test the speedo by turning on the key without starting it and spinning the front wheel.

Hope this helps anyone with the same issue I had. There are a couple more things that can affect the speedo but that is for another post.

Jolsen
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: ZG-XII and VS-XIV
Moniker: Postmaster

Re: Speedo Issues and Solutions

Post by Jolsen »

Nice job.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
VS1400 Wiring Diagram INFOWARS
Its not my job to prove myself every time I state facts. Its YOUR job to look it up and find out what I say is true.

Xafius
Studying MC Handbook

Post by Xafius »

Thanks lol it was my first.

Jolsen
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by Jolsen »

To some people all they need is a little write up to go well that ain't so bad. I could do that. Then they save money to buy more gas to ride with. Its a win win

Its not my job to prove myself every time I state facts. Its YOUR job to look it up and find out what I say is true.

Xafius
Studying MC Handbook

Post by Xafius »

I also did the brakes and the clutch switch as well. gonna do write ups for them too.

Jolsen
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by Jolsen »

Cool beans I can't wait.