Might be helping out a seasoned rider

enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club
My Bike: 03 HD FLHT 01 Yamaha XVS650

Might be helping out a seasoned rider

Post by enforcer »

So, I've gotten an offer to trade my Beemer for a Volusia. I miss my old Intruder anyhow. I'm not really doing it because I dislike the BMW, on the contrary, I really like the BMW. It fit the criteria of the bike I was looking for to a tee. Except but being carbureted (not missing much with a bank of 4 carbs) and not being a cruiser (I've become accustomed to that). The gentleman I'm trading with has a tumor in his back that makes cruiser posture unbearable and he has already owned a BMW and wishes he never got rid of it.

Anyhow, I know a few of you have owned or knew someone close to you who owned a Volusia. (I'm looking at you Keith, Dan, Mark and Paul). Dr Bob (RIP) is no longer with us to weigh in. I know it's a bit of a pig, but it does have a Mustang seat and Hard Krome exhaust which I like and 20" apes, which I hate. Any qualms, advice or likes would be much appreciated.
Current rides: 03 HD FLHT & 01 Yamaha XVS650(BIP)
Former: 87 Suzuki VS700, 94 BMW K1100LT & 91 Honda CB250

I don't want to own them all, just ride them all.

enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club

Re: Might be helping out a seasoned rider

Post by enforcer »

Well, for those of you reading this thread (probably just Keith), the deal never went down. He backed out, like every other craigslist deal I've ever brokered. Looking at a couple other trades, that I'll have to add a little cash to, but hey, that's life.(And another thread) :o

enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club

Post by enforcer »

98VS1400 wrote:I've only had luck with CL once. I bought a Mustang from a buddy for $300 because the A/C didn't work. $3 later I had the vacuum line fixed and cold air. The vents just didn't open! I did nothing else and sold it for $1800 the same week.

I've tried to replicate that deal ever since, but no luck. Oh, I did buy a spare wheel and tire for my wife's Jeep, but that was a loss after I drove an hour to get it!

CL sucks, IMO. I still look at it all the time though! Sorry your deal fell through.
He said after he put the apes back on, he forgot how good it rode. I think that was just code for I got a better offer. Oh well, on to the next.

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Post by old time rider »

I got my 08 C50 for half book on E-bay a few years back when my drag strip starts on my 1700 had broken a third belt in less than 40,000 on my 1700 RoadStar.While lookin for a used yard belt and just lookin saw the C50 with a $400 Suzuki shield on it and small sissy bar for half book on the $3,250 start bid. I bid and was only bid and got it.E-mail with owner found it was a woman and she got the bike when her and hubby split.Had 6,000 miles and looked like new.This was 010 or 011?We were going to SC on bikes that week end with two other couples so me and friend rode the 200 miles double and I rode it back.Took cash and it was as good as she said.Put a half bottle of injector cleaner in it and filled with gas a block from her place.It ran fine but it got dark on us when we split ways in Lexington,Ky..I headed out the Bluegrass Parkway and had about 40 miles to go.About ten miles from my exit saw a light flashing on the dash and saw it was low fuel light.Slowed down from shown 75 to 65 and made it to about 1/8 mile from exit when it died.Took off cab and could not hear any gas when I moved it right to left but know a little had to be in it.Grabed my helmet and jacket and took one step to walk to the station at exit when :ahha: I still had the little half bottle of injector cleaner.Walked back took out and poured it in and left right to mix with any thing still in coners of tank.Got on and put helment and gloves etc on before hitting start.Made it all the way to station and it died ten feet from the pump on a rised part of lot.Got off and pushed to pump and filled up. [emoji106]
Did not know they had a record of bad cam chain guides untill Dr.Bob told us.His 06 blew with 30,000 and change.Told my dealer about it and he said"Early C50s seem the ones and by 08 the only ones we have done was just because they started making racket but should go a long time doing that.Mine has around 30,000 now with o troubles so hope he is right.Mine is the mag wheel one.Rode it to Savanna and back to middle of Ky.At 85mph they sound like they will blow any second but did not seem to hurt it.They sure are no power house.Rear wheel takes a lot more time to get off than most but for slow 65 and below crusing they are great.Gas,tires,and oil changes all I have spent on it.Same battery as when I got it but it does not look like factory?Was one recall only time it was at a dealers but can not recall what it was but must have been simple as think it was just a check or wire re route?

frodo
Learning My Moped
My Bike: Suzuki C-50

Post by frodo »

I'm kinda new in this forum and I never had a Volusia but when I was in the IA I had a 2004 Blue, C-50 and put over 25,000 miles on her. It wasn't the fastest of bikes and at the time I was into speed so I got rid of it but always felt bad about that because it was probably the most reliable bikes I ever owned. I had a few bikes in between but in the last few years I settled on a Yamaha Star "BOLT" which liked in a completely different way. Well, last month after hitting a pothole which sent me to the chiropractor I decided I would trade it in on another C-50 which I knew would have a comfortable ride.
I bought a "leftover" and will probably be in my garage by Saturday...I'll let you guys know how the new one is [emoji106]

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club
My Bike: 1996 Suzuki Intruder

Post by jonnycando »

Gonna need pix Frodo! :rag:

frodo
Learning My Moped

Post by frodo »

I got a pic up now on the chit chat channel that someone else was good enough to put up for me...It's the red one in the section that has my name on it. People were saying that it couldn't be made bigger but then it popped up thanks to Cuban.
:bow: [emoji106]

frodo
Learning My Moped

Post by frodo »

There used to be a Volusia/C-50 forum years ago, anyone know anything about it? I'd like to check it out again now that I have a C-50.

enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club

Post by enforcer »

frodo wrote:There used to be a Volusia/C-50 forum years ago, anyone know anything about it? I'd like to check it out again now that I have a C-50.
http://www.volusiariders.com

frodo
Learning My Moped

Post by frodo »

Thank you my friend... :bow: