Oil seep - how screwed am I?

Joe A
Learning My Moped
My Bike: The Legendary Classic

Oil seep - how screwed am I?

Post by Joe A »

Went to take advantage of the beautiful weather today and discovered oil seeping out halfway down the left side of the front cylinder:

Edit:

Found the cutaway in the service manual, and it looks like that's right at the head gasket. Anyone have a more educated guess as to whether tightening or replacing the gasket will fix it?

What all is involved in replacing the gasket? Is it possible with moderate wrenching skills and tools, or should I take it straight to a shop?

00Vs1400GLP
Learning My Moped
My Bike: 2000 Intruder 1400

Re: Oil seep - how screwed am I?

Post by 00Vs1400GLP »

****Just to be completely upfront, I haven't done this in years and the last time was on a single cylinder dirt bike.**** That being said, here is my take on it. It can be done by someone with mechanical competence and a good manual. You will probably need a hand because the engine has to come out to get the head apart. You have to be careful putting everything back together so you don't score the cylinder as well as to ensure you reset the cam timing correctly. It can be done in probably a few hours, give or take. As far as tightening, maybe try to torque to spec to see if that cures the leak. I personally would not over torque cylinder head bolts.

Joe A
Learning My Moped
My Bike: The Legendary Classic

Post by Joe A »

Thanks. I did a little exploratory tinkering until I lost the light and discovered that the motor will indeed need to come out of the frame. The bolts going through the chrome trim were super tight - and there's no way to fully remove them with it in the frame. There's not even room to get a torque wrench in there. I did loosen them and tighten them as tight as I could get with a short open end wrench. I have the same concern about overtightening, but I don't think it's too much of a danger given the size of wrench I'm limited to with it on the frame.

I'm going to take it by the shop I use tomorrow and see what he says. I'm on limited funds, so that'll be a big factor on what I end up doing. I found a Clymer's manual on ebay for $10 - hopefully between it and the .pdf of the factory manual, I can come up with a comprehensive tear-down plan if I go after it myself.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

Joe A wrote:Thanks. I did a little exploratory tinkering until I lost the light and discovered that the motor will indeed need to come out of the frame. The bolts going through the chrome trim were super tight - and there's no way to fully remove them with it in the frame. There's not even room to get a torque wrench in there. I did loosen them and tighten them as tight as I could get with a short open end wrench. I have the same concern about overtightening, but I don't think it's too much of a danger given the size of wrench I'm limited to with it on the frame.

I'm going to take it by the shop I use tomorrow and see what he says. I'm on limited funds, so that'll be a big factor on what I end up doing. I found a Clymer's manual on ebay for $10 - hopefully between it and the .pdf of the factory manual, I can come up with a comprehensive tear-down plan if I go after it myself.
I don't have much experience with the 1500, but have been into the trans on my 1400 twice. Since the basics of it are the same you will have to pull the engine, and it can be a PITA.

I have a seep in about the same place on my 1400. Been there for 2 years. I will wait until it gets much worse before I tear it down.

Keep in mind that the long bolts that hold the head on are also the cylinder bolts, if you change the head gasket, you will disturb the cylinder gasket and need to change it too.

The cam chain tensioner is a little tricky and getting the timing correct on it, especially if the rear isn't disturbed, can be difficult.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club
My Bike: CB450 GL1500CT

Post by WintrSol »

First, are you sure it's leaking at that gasket, and not somewhere else that just happens to flow along that line?
Florissant, MO
CB450K3, GL1500CTValkyrie

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Post by old time rider »

Not as good as most the gear heads here but done a little.On leaks I like to clean good and dry then dust with power.Start up and soon you will see at what point the leak starts.Have got lots of old bikes that had sat a while.Two five years.The gaskets can dry and seep a little till swell takes them back to ok. Not all ways that lucky by a long shot.
If you do try to just tighten a we bit all ways do it even all the way around.Seen head gaskets blown after just going for over the spot oil is showing.Good luck. :cheers: