New to me C90T

MrSteed
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: C90T

New to me C90T

Post by MrSteed »

SO I got a 2009 C90T from a friend and I'm having a couple things happening that I'm not sure about. I know it's fuel injected and yet when I first start it, it doesn't seem to want to run. I thought that went away with the FI? Also, when letting off the throttle there appears to be quite a bit of backfiring. Is that normal? Finally, does anyone have a link to an owners manual? I'd like to learn more about the bike. Thanks.

-MrSteed

enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club
My Bike: 03 HD FLHT 01 Yamaha XVS650

Re: New to me C90T

Post by enforcer »

Yes. And usually. If it has aftermarket air cleaner and pipes, it needs a tune installed to run correctly.

If it doesn't, could be the fuel pump not delivering enough fuel.

Service manual is just a Google click away.
Current rides: 03 HD FLHT & 01 Yamaha XVS650(BIP)
Former: 87 Suzuki VS700, 94 BMW K1100LT & 91 Honda CB250

I don't want to own them all, just ride them all.

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club
My Bike: CB450 GL1500CT

Post by WintrSol »

Get the service manual. There are some adjustments on the FI system, including the fast idle setting. Also, the decompression system may need an adjustment, but good luck figuring out the instructions in the manual. It took a couple hours and poking it for my friend and I to get it right on his C90T.
Florissant, MO
CB450K3, GL1500CTValkyrie

scootermcq
Joined a 250cc Club
My Bike: VS1400 + VL1500

Post by scootermcq »

WintrSol wrote:Get the service manual. There are some adjustments on the FI system, including the fast idle setting. Also, the decompression system may need an adjustment, but good luck figuring out the instructions in the manual. It took a couple hours and poking it for my friend and I to get it right on his C90T.
Decomp is dead easy my way.... start the bike and push the lever with your finger... you can feel the valves "bumping" the decomp. Back it off just a wee bit and take the slack out of the cable. Much easier than removing covers to set TDC etc.
Scott

MrSteed
Tricycles are Cool

Post by MrSteed »

I got the manual downloaded and haven't had a time to look at it but I'm guessing the lever being talked about is evident in there? I'll do some checking on the FI system and the idle system. When it's warm it idles about 1100 rpm. There is also a small hiccup sometimes when starting out, like it misses or skips. I hope to get it figured out. I like the bike. Definitely a different animal than the 800.

Thanks for all the support and the advice. I may find I like it here. :rag:

-MrSteed

jonnycando
Joined a 850cc Club
My Bike: 1996 Suzuki Intruder

Post by jonnycando »

follow the decomp cable to the engine and you find the little lever quite easily. Give it a gentle push while engine running and you will surely know you've got it.

MrSteed
Tricycles are Cool

Post by MrSteed »

So I got the manual someone posted and downloaded it and finally had a chance to open it up. It says it's a supplementary manual and has very little information. It keeps referring to another manual which I don't have. :bang:

I guess my question for you all would be is the C90 harder to work on than the 800 and am I going to get over my head without a real manual? It's been suggested I check out a different place for better information and guidance. What do you all think? :ahha:

-MrSteed

enforcer
Joined a 650cc Club
My Bike: 03 HD FLHT 01 Yamaha XVS650

Post by enforcer »

A motor is a motor. Simple issues are going to be the same. It's when you get into the electrical system that it gets complicated. There's various sensors, relays and switches that do different things at different times. That manual helps you troubleshoot and test those items.

My advice, check the simple stuff first. Battery, air filter, plugs, throttle cable, fuel, etc. Things that are the same no matter what bike you own. Then foray into the second system and find yourself a manual that helps test electrical items.
Current rides: 03 HD FLHT & 01 Yamaha XVS650(BIP)
Former: 87 Suzuki VS700, 94 BMW K1100LT & 91 Honda CB250

I don't want to own them all, just ride them all.

MrSteed
Tricycles are Cool

Post by MrSteed »

enforcer wrote:A motor is a motor. Simple issues are going to be the same. It's when you get into the electrical system that it gets complicated. There's various sensors, relays and switches that do different things at different times. That manual helps you troubleshoot and test those items.

My advice, check the simple stuff first. Battery, air filter, plugs, throttle cable, fuel, etc. Things that are the same no matter what bike you own. Then foray into the second system and find yourself a manual that helps test electrical items.
I understand things are basically the same. There are some differences and things that I'm wondering about. Such as the 800 is a carbed machine, the C90 is a Fuel Injected machine. I've no experience with FI. The other thing the manual helps with is learning how to access and check all such items. That's why I think it's nice to have a manual. Especially someone like me who is not quite mechanically inclined.

-Steed

MrSteed
Tricycles are Cool

Post by MrSteed »

HOLY CRAP!!! I've had this bike for 2 years? Crazy. Still struggling with some issues. I have updated a little like a Gman Bully EFI, Gbatt, upgraded the stator and the R/R. Still having some issues with it starting now.

franktiregod
Joined a 900cc Club
My Bike: SUZUKI

Post by franktiregod »

MrSteed wrote:HOLY CRAP!!! I've had this bike for 2 years? Crazy. Still struggling with some issues. I have updated a little like a Gman Bully EFI, Gbatt, upgraded the stator and the R/R. Still having some issues with it starting now.
Have you contacted Gman and told him what kind of problem you are having? He knows these bikes well and is a good source for help.

MrSteed
Tricycles are Cool

Post by MrSteed »

No I haven't. I will have to try that. I did try to talk to him over Facebook and ran into a dead end. I'll just have to make the time to call hime during the week.