V&H Pro Pipe with Supertrapp baffle

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

V&H Pro Pipe with Supertrapp baffle

Post by hillsy »

Hey!

I saw the tech folder was empty for the LC, so I thought I'd re-post my baffle conversion here as well :big grin:

So here goes:

OK - the baffle in my Pro Pipe was just too freaking loud for me.

We all know how they look, but here's a pic of the baffle anyway:

Not much baffle there, really...

Anyway, after seeing a guy on another forum weld a SuperTrapp baffle on the end of his existing muffler, I thought that could work with mine. I put the word out with my bike shop buddy to keep a look out for any old SuperTrapp mufflers that may come through his shop (it was kind of a long shot in my mind).

Well, to my surprise, he brought these around a few weeks back:

And here's what they look like inside:

So, the new baffle was a bit smaller at the end than the V&H one, so I welded some wire around it to make it fit better (and some new mounting tabs):

I won't win any welding awards, but you won't see any of this anyway.

I was in a bit of a pickle about the front of the baffle - to weld a locating plate on it would probably result in me just blowing more holes in the mesh, so seeing as the gap between the mesh and the megaphone wasn't that great, I ended up just spreading the mesh out to a snug fit.

Then I wrapped the baffle mesh in wadding and bolted it all up (sorry - didn't get a pic of the wadding)

So, after a few trial laps around the 'hood to work out how many baffle plates worked best I did a mild buff on the end cap and painted up the other bits with some black

And....job done:

Now I can ride the bike without having to wear earplugs - and I can add or subtract plates to alter the back pressure / tune.

Sweet :thumbup:

Jolsen
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: ZG-XII and VS-XIV
Moniker: Postmaster

Re: V&H Pro Pipe with Supertrapp baffle

Post by Jolsen »

Nice job on the pipes. Supertrapps are not very common on this side of the pond.
98VS1400 wrote:Very nice job! The 1500 has intrigued me. I'm still happy with the 1400, but if I upgrade, I'm considering this route. Or a VMax.
Vmax and 1500 are nothing alike. Its like comparing apples to hookers.
VS1400 Wiring Diagram INFOWARS
Its not my job to prove myself every time I state facts. Its YOUR job to look it up and find out what I say is true.

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Re: V&H Pro Pipe with Supertrapp baffle

Post by Lechy »

When I picked up my 800, it was fitted with Supertrapps, I hated everything about them so I made my own system using the "trapps innards as mufflers, much better sound and response, looks like shit but I'm happy with the outcome.
[emoji41]
Grow old disgracefully young man.