Levers

Scotty
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: Intruder vs800

Levers

Post by Scotty »

Hello all! New to the forum. (I've been looking around for sometime).

I have an 01 vs800. I'm wanting to change my factory levers with one that can adjust. I feel like I have to really reach out to grab them. I've tried doing minor adjustments, but nothing really helps.

I stopped by my local shop today to see what options I would have. They told me all they could look up that were available are the oem style.

Has anyone changed theirs before? Is there any universal levers that may work? I have used the search engine for this forum and didn't find the answers I'm looking for.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Re: Levers

Post by navigator »

Your choices are limited, there are no adjustable ones like on the 1500 LC.
You can get wide blade chrome levers however, which are more ergonomic.

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club
My Bike: CB450 GL1500CT

Post by WintrSol »

I replaced mine with Kuryakyn levers, which brought them a little closer: https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Kuryakyn-C ... 2348330663
Florissant, MO
CB450K3, GL1500CTValkyrie

Swcoinguy
Got My M1 License!
My Bike: Vs800+c90

Post by Swcoinguy »

You should be able to shave a bit off the push rod and that would bring them in closer to the grip.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

Swcoinguy wrote:You should be able to shave a bit off the push rod and that would bring them in closer to the grip.
A little iffy on the clutch side IMO, you may run out of travel.

Scotty
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Scotty »

WintrSol wrote:I replaced mine with Kuryakyn levers, which brought them a little closer: https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Kuryakyn-C ... 2348330663

We're these easy to install? Just plug in play?

Scotty
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Scotty »

Swcoinguy wrote:You should be able to shave a bit off the push rod and that would bring them in closer to the grip.

Would that cause a lot of free play in the lever then?

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

Scotty wrote:
WintrSol wrote:I replaced mine with Kuryakyn levers, which brought them a little closer: https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Kuryakyn-C ... 2348330663

We're these easy to install? Just plug in play?
Yup, one bolt, just reinstall the bronze bushing and align the clutch switch in the groove,
Brake side, just one bolt.

Swcoinguy
Got My M1 License!
My Bike: Vs800+c90

Post by Swcoinguy »

navigator wrote:
A little iffy on the clutch side IMO, you may run out of travel.
To be honest I've never done it-the C90 has adjustable levers and I replaced my VS800 levers with wide chrome levers from somewhere(Kuryakyn maybe). I never had an issue reaching them and I don't believe the replacements are any closer to the grip than the OEM version. I see a lot of people recommending it on different bikes because adjustable levers aren't available. If to much was taken off your definitely be in trouble. Do you think shaving an eighth off would be to much? That seems like a lot to me but it sure would move the lever closer.
The brass bushing is easily replaced too, what if he drilled it out just a hair?
I think I'd be happier with sanding the rod down myself and if it got to short id just pull it and get a used one to replace it and start over again lol.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

Scotty wrote:Hello all! New to the forum. (I've been looking around for sometime).

I have an 01 vs800. I'm wanting to change my factory levers with one that can adjust. I feel like I have to really reach out to grab them. I've tried doing minor adjustments, but nothing really helps.

I stopped by my local shop today to see what options I would have. They told me all they could look up that were available are the oem style.

Has anyone changed theirs before? Is there any universal levers that may work? I have used the search engine for this forum and didn't find the answers I'm looking for.
Just curious what you have for grips, if they are ISO or another aftermarket brand, that could be your issue.
Thicker grip, longer reach.
The stock grips are very thin.

Scotty
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Scotty »

navigator wrote:
Scotty wrote:Hello all! New to the forum. (I've been looking around for sometime).

Just curious what you have for grips, if they are ISO or another aftermarket brand, that could be your issue.
Thicker grip, longer reach.
The stock grips are very thin.

I'm really not sure if they're OE or not. This is what I have on the bike currently. ( I bought the bike used and some things have been changed by the previous owner).

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

Those are not OEM and may be fatter. hard to tell by the photo.
Stock grips have a circumference of 4.5"
Wrap a piece of paper around the grip, mark it and measure the length to find circumference.

Thinner grips may help your reach, but then you will also need the OEM bar weights as well.

FYI there are lots on ebay, most of them are incomplete because they left half the assembly in the bars when they removed them. :bonk:
They should have two rubber inserts and a nut....buyer beware.
They should look like this:

Good price but INCOMPLETE.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

Hard to see, but those levers look like aftermarket wide blades.
If they are chrome they are wide aftermarket, if they are polished aluminum they are stock.

Scotty
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Scotty »

They're defiantly chrome. I think I'm going to order the oe grips and bar ends and see how that feels

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

How fat are your grips?
look in the flea market here, someone may have a set for sale.

Scotty
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Scotty »

navigator wrote:How fat are your grips?

I just measured them. They are 5.5" in diameter. I'm not sure what OE is, but I'm thinking they're smaller.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

Scotty wrote:

I just measured them. They are 5.5" in diameter. I'm not sure what OE is, but I'm thinking they're smaller.
I previously told you stock were 4.5" circumference. That equates to 1.4" diameter, yours are 1.75" diameter

Scotty
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Scotty »

navigator wrote:
Scotty wrote:

I previously told you stock were 4.5" circumference. That equates to 1.4" diameter, yours are 1.75" diameter

You're right. You did mention that. :bonk: With the size difference, I'm sure that's most of my issue.