Wanting to go tubeless

Taker73044
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 2000 vs800 Intruder

Wanting to go tubeless

Post by Taker73044 »

Looking for a cheap mag wheel that will fit my bike. I found that some of the m50s had mag wheels and drum brakes and also shaft drive. Does anyone know if these wheels will fit a 2000 vs800 intruder? Direct fit or a bunch of crazy to get it done?

https://m.ebay.com/itm/2005-Suzuki-M50- ... SwB4BaNZNW

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Re: Wanting to go tubeless

Post by hillsy »

Taker73044 wrote:Looking for a cheap mag wheel that will fit my bike. I found that some of the m50s had mag wheels and drum brakes and also shaft drive. Does anyone know if these wheels will fit a 2000 vs800 intruder? Direct fit or a bunch of crazy to get it done?

https://m.ebay.com/itm/2005-Suzuki-M50- ... SwB4BaNZNW
I doubt an M50 wheel will be a direct swap. You could "make" it fit, but not sure how complex it would be.

Other option is to seal your spoked rim. There's a million examples on Google and you can even buy kits on eBay.

But the real question is why? I know true tubeless are easier to fix punctures on the road, but you can run a tubeless tyre with a tube.

Taker73044
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 2000 vs800 Intruder

Post by Taker73044 »

Wanting to go tubeless mainly for heat reduction and its not fun changing a tube on the side of the road in bfe. A tubeless tire I can just plug, air and go. And sealing spokes is not a great option as spokes tend to turn in time causing the seal to break and they need to be adjusted every so often to keep the wheel true. Mags have no adjustment.

hillsy
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by hillsy »

Taker73044 wrote:Wanting to go tubeless mainly for heat reduction and its not fun changing a tube on the side of the road in bfe. A tubeless tire I can just plug, air and go. And sealing spokes is not a great option as spokes tend to turn in time causing the seal to break and they need to be adjusted every so often to keep the wheel true. Mags have no adjustment.
Can't say I've ever heard of spokes turning....unless they are not properly tensioned in the first place?

Seriously, sealing spokes is done all the time on dirt bikes. It's not a new thing and it will be your easiest option.

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!
My Bike: VS 1400. Royal Enfield

Post by Fred »

I dont know what you call heat but they run tubes in Saudi. Most heat is generated from friction especially when accompanied with low pressure. You can buy a heavy duty tubes and believe me its heavy duty alright even difficult to fit. This along with lots of talcum that is a lubricant will give you trouble free riding.

If you must --dont use silcone as every one says, silicone is crap and we can all see it is on the bathroom and kitchen use. There are marine sealants far ahead of silicone that will not come off such as 3M 5200 which is on for good. Or less permenant but still way ahead is sikaflex 291

Forge
Joined a 250cc Club
My Bike: 99 Valkyrie Interstate- 05 S83

Post by Forge »

Some years of the VS800 came with oem “snowflake” mags. There was a set for sale in the classifieds several months ago. You can also check with Bronx Intruder and see if he has a set.
Arthritis sucks!

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!
My Bike: VS 1400. Royal Enfield

Post by Fred »

I know there is one ive seen it, could be off a Honda Shadow. Thing is making it fit is not just spacers it could mean shimming the brake disc to fit in the caliper---IF--- the brake disc is on the right side. Then you got to start swapping forks tubes but that might not be a bad thing as you could have double discs.

Lots of faffing about init. Why no one has done it.

Heavy duty tube and talc.

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club
My Bike: CB450 GL1500CT

Post by WintrSol »

I put about 15K miles on my S50/VS800 on tubeless tires with tubes inside; never had a problem with heat, nor did I ever have a flat. I kept the pressures at that recommended by the tire manufacturer, not the sticker on the bike, which was a lot lower.

I've only ever had two flats since 1968; first one was from a tube that was installed with a pinch, and the second was near a construction site, where I picked up a nail. Maybe I've had exceptional luck, but that's still a lot of miles.
Florissant, MO
CB450K3, GL1500CTValkyrie

BRONX INTRUDER
Joined a 850cc Club
My Bike: vs1400

Post by BRONX INTRUDER »

Forge wrote:Some years of the VS800 came with oem “snowflake” mags. There was a set for sale in the classifieds several months ago. You can also check with Bronx Intruder and see if he has a set.
Thanks brother.
I actually have a front mag.. I can try tracking down a rear.

Scotty
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: Intruder vs800

Post by Scotty »

In regards to the snowflake wheels. There's someone in KY selling a set.

https://lexington.craigslist.org/mpo/d/ ... 00675.html