vs 800 a/f mix questions

ajlm25
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 2004 vs800

vs 800 a/f mix questions

Post by ajlm25 »

Hey all new member to the board and having some issues with my intruder have a 2004 vs800. Had it taken to a shop about 5 months ago with low power issues at high speeds guy said he synced carbs but all he did was mess with the a/f screws and set idle screw all in. Well i have checked this board and have done a sync myself and think i got them pulling equal but i know my a/f is off. Even with the screws on both carbs all in lean the bike will still run. I checked the diaphragms on both carbs for holes/leaks and nothing where should i be looking? :confused: :confused:

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club
My Bike: CB450 GL1500CT

Re: vs 800 a/f mix questions

Post by WintrSol »

So, with the pilot screws all the way in (seated) it still idles; that tells me that you have fuel getting past the idle circuit. I'd check the 'choke' valves, as that is their function, to run the pilot fuel and air around the idle path, to enrich the mixture for starting. Also, if the fuel levels are too high, you could just be letting fuel through the main jets.
Florissant, MO
CB450K3, GL1500CTValkyrie

ajlm25
Tricycles are Cool

Post by ajlm25 »

And choke valve what is that? the air cutoff valve? I'm sorry carbs are new to me.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

These bikes don't have a choke that cuts down on airflow. They have an enricher circuit in the carbs. When you use the choke it actually puts more fuel into the system.

The explanation of the start system is on page 6-11 of the manual. Inside the carb is a plunger that is pulled up by the cable from the choke handle. If these plungers are held in the open position, you will end up with a very rich running engine.

There is a downloadable copy of the manual at the top of this forum.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

ajlm25
Tricycles are Cool

Post by ajlm25 »

i think we may be on the right track went out and pulled choke cable from front carb and the cable wasn't attached to the plunger but seems like its stuck in there will soak with some cleaner overnight and see what i can do tomorrow will keep updated :bow: but thank you for help

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Post by Lechy »

Make sure the assembly still has the spring before you put it back together.

[emoji41]
Grow old disgracefully young man.

ajlm25
Tricycles are Cool

Post by ajlm25 »

so i got in there put everything back together as should be with spring through cable then cable into plunger but bike is still running as it did and setting screws on carbs in still wont kill it any other directions i may take? ;IDunno:

ajlm25
Tricycles are Cool

Post by ajlm25 »

ok guys i decided to just take the carbs out completely and check everything. waiting on my kits to get here looks like my needle oring may have been the culprit had alot of crud on it like its been leaking. but i found that there is a small jet on the front carb under the coast valve that has a piece missing from it its split making it difficult to remove with a flat head but i got it out and im looking to buy it but i dont see it on any part schematic for the carbs. does anyone know part number for that jet?

ajlm25
Tricycles are Cool

Post by ajlm25 »

Got a pic of broken jet today not sure if this could affect performance of the bike?Image

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club
My Bike: CB450 GL1500CT

Post by WintrSol »

I think that is Pilot Air Jet #2, which doesn't appear in the parts diagram https://www.partsoutlaw.com/oemparts/a/ ... etor-front; #18 is Pilot Air Jet #1. The air flow from #2 is blocked by the Transient Enrichment (coast) Valve, when the vacuum rises enough, to enrich the mixture through the system without adding fuel. I can't imagine why someone would have disturbed it, unless it was blocked by debris that got past the air filter. If the damage doesn't extend beyond the screw slot, it is OK, but, how do you tell? If the center hole was damaged in the cleaning process, then it could increase air in the pilot circuit, making it a bit harder to get the idle set.

See page 6-9 of the service manual for a diagram of how it plays into the system.
Florissant, MO
CB450K3, GL1500CTValkyrie