Clutch slipping?

Bryced1
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 95 intruder 800

Clutch slipping?

Post by Bryced1 »

Hey all.

Recently got my first bike, a 95 intruder 800. Was riding around and when merging on a highway I've noticed my clutch is starting to slip at the top end. I can go wide open in second and don't notice it, but top end of of third and 4th I get the engine revving higher and a loss of power.

Anything I should try prior to just replacing the clutch? Guy I got it from claims to have replaced the clutch about 7k miles ago. But the clutch does engage pretty late in the clutch travel.

I do have motorcycle oil in the bike. (Motul 4t mineral 10w-40).

Thanks!

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Re: Clutch slipping?

Post by navigator »

You rarely need new discs...especially if his claim is true that it was replaced 7000 miles ago.
Clutch discs will usually last the life of the bike.
The springs however get weak.
You did not say how many miles are on the bike, but a $10 set of EBC or Barnett springs should cure your problem.

The other thing that will cause the clutch to slip is gunk in the master cylinder, blocking the small holes in the floor of the master cylinder.
They can be cleared with a small wire plucked from a wire brush.
The fluid should be changed and bled yearly.
If the fluid is dark like coffee, replace it now.

Bryced1
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Bryced1 »

Much appreciated. Springs ordered and will clean out the master cylinder. Thanks!

Bryced1
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Bryced1 »

Bit of an update here, replaced the springs and still does the same thing. Clutch plates looked good and like they had been replaced recently.

I also replaced the fluid and bled the master cylinder and it was pretty nasty in there. Immediately the friction zone changed to be far closer in. However after about 100 miles the friction zone returned to where it was previously. Thinking that is not a coincidence.... Any thoughts?

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Post by Lechy »

You probably have the slave cylinder chock full of nasty gunk and lacquer.

[emoji41] .
Grow old disgracefully young man.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

What Lechy says!
disassemble it and clean thoroughly or rebuild it, kits are cheap.
Pay close attention to the return holes in the floor of the master cylinder.

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Post by Lechy »

When you do any work on the clutch/brake master cylinders make sure you cover the paintwork well. The clutch master will spray fluid over a meter high when clean.

[emoji41]
Grow old disgracefully young man.

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!
My Bike: VS 1400. Royal Enfield

Post by Fred »

Unless you have a hydraulic lock the clutch master will not make your clutch slip.

Your description of clutch slip made me wonder if you have slip at all. Its only an 800.

The friction zone is called the 'bite' and will settle.

Park the bike up against a wall, put it in top gear and try to drive the bike through the wall. If you have a weak clutch you will find it.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

Fred wrote:Unless you have a hydraulic lock the clutch master will not make your clutch slip.

Your description of clutch slip made me wonder if you have slip at all. Its only an 800.

Park the bike up against a wall, put it in top gear and try to drive the bike through the wall. If you have a weak clutch you will find it.
I suspect he still has a hydraulic lock, which is caused by a blockage in the return holes.
The fluid can't return, and is holding the clutch partially disengaged.
This will cause the clutch to slip....even on an 800.

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!
My Bike: VS 1400. Royal Enfield

Post by Fred »

navigator wrote:
Fred wrote:Unless you have a hydraulic lock the clutch master will not make your clutch slip.

I suspect he still has a hydraulic lock, which is caused by a blockage in the return holes.
The fluid can't return, and is holding the clutch partially disengaged.
This will cause the clutch to slip....even on an 800.
I understand what you are saying. I this case he would have had difficulty bleeding. But its the most likely if slippage is present.