OEM riser question-hollow risers

Swcoinguy
Got My M1 License!
My Bike: Vs800+c90

OEM riser question-hollow risers

Post by Swcoinguy »

I need info about the factory risers that allow your hidden wires to pass through. I know that some 1400's had these hollow risers but I'm not sure if the 800 ever did. I'm wondering if the hollow risers can be used on a VS800. Is there a different rubber bushing that's used to allow the hollow risers to be used. There is no way that the hollow risers are going to work with the rubber bushings that are with my risers. The hollow bolt is way to big to fit through that bushing. Are the 1400 bushings the same as the 800 bushigs? If I get a set of hollow risers am I good as long as they include a set of bushings-even if they are from a 1400?
Someone must have used the hollow risers on an 800 so I'm sure someone here knows what is needed to make this work, thanks in advance.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Re: OEM riser question-hollow risers

Post by navigator »

My '98 has hollow risers, basically the riser is the bolt, threaded at the bottom with about a 1" hole through the center.
It has flat washers and rubber bushings shaped similar to what you would find on a shock absorber...T-shaped.
Then secured with a large nut.
The area where the handlebar passes thru is keyed to prevent the bars from rotating. With the buckhorns, this provided an area for the wires to pass, but was also prone to cracking the bars at that joint.

The big thing is you will need a new upper tree with a larger hole for the riser.

Look at the parts fiche for a '98 800.

Swcoinguy
Got My M1 License!
My Bike: Vs800+c90

Post by Swcoinguy »

So no matter what I have for parts from a bike with the hollow risers I will need to pull the upper tree from my bike and replace it with the upper tree from the hollow riser bike. That's a bit more work than I was hoping to need to do. I was hoping if I had the risers and bushings from a bike with those style risers I could just do a fairly easy part swap and go.
I have changed my bars and risers several times and thought I could go to the hollow risers and a 14" rise handlebar. From the sounds of it the hollow risers dont lend themselves well to aftermarket bars and I certainly am not going back to the buckhorns. I guess the hollow risers are out. Thanks for the info, saved me time and money [emoji106]

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Post by old time rider »

Have changed lots of bars.A center punch ,good drill bit,and file set can make or make right size hole for about anything. Hold bars in vice with good warp of shop towels. Wire tied to wiring and run through. Good luck. :putput:

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

Yea, any bars can be drilled to accept internal wiring and hollow risers, but you will need the larger holes in the upper tree as well.