Bronx, I need DS tire help

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Stolen 1-7-15 Returned 1-21-15

Bronx, I need DS tire help

Post by BlacktopTravelr »

Ok, a little background. I am putting a DS tire on my 800 and it is the same brand and size I took off and have used for years. What I'm having trouble with is getting the bead to seat properly. S what I need is an idea on what to use to help that bead slip over the wheel lip and seat on the lip properly. I've used the stuff the tire guy used, I've use dawn dish washing soap, and my next idea is to use WD-40.

The one real problem is I can't get the tire guy to air it up all the way as he is afraid it will blow up. I've told him he will not be held responsible for any damage done to tire or wheel due to the airing up to over recommended pressure. I got him to air it up to 70 psi once but that was it and he let air out as he was afraid the tire would blow up. :bang: IIRC I got the last tire to seat at 70 PSI, but I used the WD-40 to help seat the beads.

I remember reading somewhere that it was not safe to use WD-40 even tho I have used it before. Something about it not being safe to use on rubber. Have you heard this or better yet have you ever used WD-40 on a tire? Thanks for any help or advice you can provide. [emoji106] [space] :bow: [space] :soda:
:putput: (putt putt putt)
90 to 95% of my replies are for my own entertainment :space: :XmasTree:

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Re: Bronx, I need DS tire help

Post by Lechy »

Use a ratcheting cargo strap to stop the tire expanding outwards.

[emoji41]
Grow old disgracefully young man.

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Stolen 1-7-15 Returned 1-21-15

Post by BlacktopTravelr »

I think we tried that. I can't remember I have slept since then. :lolfall: I just need something to help slip that tire bead over the lip with the low pressure we are using and I think the WD-40 will do it. :Umm:
:putput: (putt putt putt)
90 to 95% of my replies are for my own entertainment :space: :XmasTree:

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

Someone on a DS thread said that KY Jelly works good on DS tires. Haven't tried it myself.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Post by Lechy »

I thought that KY was for mounting the exhaust.

:naughty:

[emoji41]
Grow old disgracefully young man.

BRONX INTRUDER
Joined a 850cc Club
My Bike: vs1400

Post by BRONX INTRUDER »

I did one before and it took a lot. If he's too scared.. Take it elsewhere. Lol. Or go find a place that you fill it yourself. It's great if you can have a line to it and put air from a distance in case of anything.

Swcoinguy
Got My M1 License!
My Bike: Vs800+c90

Post by Swcoinguy »

A lot of people have reported that 80 pounds was where there tire finally seated. I'd be a bit scared at that pressure too but sometimes ya have to do what you have to do to get the job done.