VS1400 Shocks on VS800?

Forge
Joined a 250cc Club
My Bike: 99 Valkyrie Interstate- 05 S83

VS1400 Shocks on VS800?

Post by Forge »

My son has a 2004 800 Intruder. I own a 2005 S83 and put progressive rear shocks on mine. I know the VS800 Shocks are 1/2" shorter than the 1400 shocks. We are wondering if by installing the 1400 shocks on his 800, if it would help increase the preload on his bike. His shocks are way to soft for his healthy size. We aren't worried about the extra 1/2" unless it will cause problems.

Has anyone done this and are there any issues that come out of doing this? Will they even mount up?
Arthritis sucks!

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Re: VS1400 Shocks on VS800?

Post by Lechy »

You should have no problems mounting them, maybe you will need a bushing or maybe not.
Just do it and see.

[emoji41]
Grow old disgracefully young man.

Swcoinguy
Got My M1 License!
My Bike: Vs800+c90

Post by Swcoinguy »

Forge wrote:My son has a 2004 800 Intruder. I own a 2005 S83 and put progressive rear shocks on mine. I know the VS800 Shocks are 1/2" shorter than the 1400 shocks. We are wondering if by installing the 1400 shocks on his 800, if it would help increase the preload on his bike. His shocks are way to soft for his healthy size. We aren't worried about the extra 1/2" unless it will cause problems.

Has anyone done this and are there any issues that come out of doing this? Will they even mount up?
Unless the springs are a heavier rate you won't notice any difference. A stock spring is considered single rate. Compressing it doesn't make it more resistant to weight. Example-stock spring=100 lbs equals 1 inch of compression so if you put 300lbs on it it will compress 3". A progressive rate spring would not act this way. As the progressive rate spring compresses the resistance increases. 300 lbs on a progressive rate spring may only compress it 2 inches.
Please understand that the example I just gave is completely hypothetical and in no way realistic. I used simple numbers to represent an example only. Factory springs are single rate and thus preload is a set factor. People will argue this point but if they do the research they will find that the numbers don't lie. If you need more spring resistance in the rear you should get replacements, either lower mileage OEMs or aftermarkets. I went with progressives in the rear and I can't say anything bad about them.

Forge
Joined a 250cc Club
My Bike: 99 Valkyrie Interstate- 05 S83

Post by Forge »

Swcoinguy wrote:
Forge wrote:My son has a 2004 800 Intruder. I own a 2005 S83 and put progressive rear shocks on mine. I know the VS800 Shocks are 1/2" shorter than the 1400 shocks. We are wondering if by installing the 1400 shocks on his 800, if it would help increase the preload on his bike. His shocks are way to soft for his healthy size. We aren't worried about the extra 1/2" unless it will cause problems.

Unless the springs are a heavier rate you won't notice any difference. A stock spring is considered single rate. Compressing it doesn't make it more resistant to weight. Example-stock spring=100 lbs equals 1 inch of compression so if you put 300lbs on it it will compress 3". A progressive rate spring would not act this way. As the progressive rate spring compresses the resistance increases. 300 lbs on a progressive rate spring may only compress it 2 inches.
Please understand that the example I just gave is completely hypothetical and in no way realistic. I used simple numbers to represent an example only. Factory springs are single rate and thus preload is a set factor. People will argue this point but if they do the research they will find that the numbers don't lie. If you need more spring resistance in the rear you should get replacements, either lower mileage OEMs or aftermarkets. I went with progressives in the rear and I can't say anything bad about them.
What we are hoping for is that the factory spring rate is higher on the 1400 shocks since the 1400 weighs 100 pounds more than the 800.
Arthritis sucks!

Swcoinguy
Got My M1 License!
My Bike: Vs800+c90

Post by Swcoinguy »

Forge wrote:What we are hoping for is that the factory spring rate is higher on the 1400 shocks since the 1400 weighs 100 pounds more than the 800.
That is a possibility. I have no idea where to get the rate info for the OEM springs but it might make enough of a difference. I say try it, it can't hurt anything.