:Parting Out: Engine/Trans shot.. Custom parts up for grabs.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Re: Back wheel locked up.. Engine still runs.. Causes??

Post by Herb »

Really curious as to what came apart.

A few years ago I had a piece on the shift drum break and it allowed the bike to go into 2 gears at once. Screwed up a bunch of stuff. But when I pulled it down I never saw anything that looked like the parts in the bottom of this tranny.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Post by Lechy »

[emoji41]
Grow old disgracefully young man.

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!
My Bike: VS 1400. Royal Enfield

Post by Fred »

Some one post up an exploded view of a 800 gearbox. I only got the 1400 stuff. let me have a look at it.

Getting 2 gears at once is a possibility,--if the tumbler is cracked up or the main shaft is floppng about allowing a selector to come out of its slot.

I would like to see the final drive bevel gear out too then we know for sure its inside. I have a feeling the final drive is a taper roller bearing!!!

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club

Post by Lechy »

All I can see that vaguely resemble the 2 pieces lurking are the fork shifter shafts.
[emoji41]

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!

Post by Fred »

We need a Gynecologist working through little holes like this, you up to the job wash your hands and mask up.

BRONX INTRUDER
Joined a 850cc Club
My Bike: vs1400

Post by BRONX INTRUDER »

I was thinking i needa get one of them wire cams with display to shove in them holes. Lol.

Lechy; The gear in that pic was removed deliberately to eliminate the starter as the issue. It was replaced and then clutch removed and starter turned engine. Replaced and with any pressure on springs.. It locks engine.

Here's a few more pics...

Little dark as hard to get proper lighting and take pic in there.. But looks like maybe a long bolt bent?

And here's the rollers and debris i used needle nose pliers to retrieve..

Final drive bevel gear... The gears inside the housing to the right of the starter motor that the u-joint connects to?
Will do.. Since i can't fix what i don't know is the exact issue. And i'm curious what happened anyways. Lol.

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club

Post by Lechy »

What you are looking at are the shifter drum and shifters inside the casing. If no other damage has been caused it shouldn't be too difficult or costly to replace the shifting forks and shafts, possibly a new drum too. It is major open heart surgery though, engine out and casing split. If you are going to tear into it we would appreciate a blow by blow pictorial.

[emoji41]

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!

Post by Fred »

The roller type things are a pin meant to locate something prob the tumbler and not too frightening but the aluminium bits are. That is part of the casing and really means thats it.

To continue is engine out, heads off including chains etc. Cylinders off and split the case, about 2 hours.

Its worthless as it is. get stuck in --your pics are great.

Its easy and fun to rip open and engine that you know is not going back together.

BRONX INTRUDER
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by BRONX INTRUDER »

Lechy wrote:What you are looking at are the shifter drum and shifters inside the casing. If no other damage has been caused it shouldn't be too difficult or costly to replace the shifting forks and shafts, possibly a new drum too. It is major open heart surgery though, engine out and casing split. If you are going to tear into it we would appreciate a blow by blow pictorial.

[emoji41]
:bonk:
I wonder what caused the thing to blow. And why bike reads neutral but engine and trans are locked together with pressure of the clutch springs?
If the shifter forks are gone.. And bike reads nuetral.. Shouldn't the engine and trans be disengaged?
I may as well yank the damn thing and get to it; i suppose.
May end up not putting it back together repaired but it's gotta come out regardless. Before i do that though; i think i'll leave the clutch plates out and put the covers and oil back in it to fire the engine up solo. This way i'll get to hear the engine without trans obstruction. Lol.
I'll charge up camera for pics of disection.

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club

Post by Lechy »

Could be a part of the shifter fork, the 2 tubes look like parts of the shaft that the shifter forks slide on and are the only hollow tubes in there.
I don't know but it may be possible to access the gear end through the sump plate, it would be interesting to find out.
If the shifter forks are broken the gears could become out of synch thereby causing a lock up, the neutral indicator is activated by a biscuit connection on the end of the shifter drum.

[emoji41]

BRONX INTRUDER
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by BRONX INTRUDER »

Lechy wrote:Could be a part of the shifter fork, the 2 tubes look like parts of the shaft that the shifter forks slide on and are the only hollow tubes in there.
I don't know but it may be possible to access the gear end through the sump plate, it would be interesting to find out.
If the shifter forks are broken the gears could become out of synch thereby causing a lock up, the neutral indicator is activated by a biscuit connection on the end of the shifter drum.

[emoji41]
Hmm.. Bicuits forks and plates.. Anyone getting hungry? Lol.
I'll see if i can get in there at the gear and find anything else before putting covers back on etc.

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club

Post by Lechy »

Nah, only way to get in is to split the engine.
Have a look here, items #3 could be the tubes you pulled:
http://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/199 ... #sch263227

[emoji41]

Fred
WHEELIES R FUN!

Post by Fred »

Why waste money on gaskets and oil its half in bits now. It would take more to refit covers than to drag it out and strip it.

BRONX INTRUDER
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by BRONX INTRUDER »

Fred wrote:Why waste money on gaskets and oil its half in bits now. It would take more to refit covers than to drag it out and strip it.
Oh no.. Not putting new gaskets and oil. Lol. Same gaskets and old oil. Lol. Just want to hear the engine alone run. If i'm parting.. I want to make sure certain parts are still good. Lol.

BRONX INTRUDER
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by BRONX INTRUDER »

Hmm.. That thing i shot a pic of that i thought looked like a bent bolt.. Found other end (head) of it on right side above gear selector..

BRONX INTRUDER
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by BRONX INTRUDER »

Engine started and ran but just front cylinder. Felt like rear was dead.. No pulsing air or anything from left port. Oh well.. She's done.

Who wants the red custom expanded tank and fenders with the ghost flames?

BRONX INTRUDER
Joined a 850cc Club

Post by BRONX INTRUDER »

PS: Lechy; you were right. Those tubes are from the fork shifter. Found that part inside but too big a pc to pull out the hole. Lol.

BRONX INTRUDER
Joined a 850cc Club

Re: Wheel locked up.. Trans shot : Time to Part It Out..

Post by BRONX INTRUDER »

Wondering if i can just cut the neck off and weld it to the 1400 frame since engine is still In it.. Then just build it up. It'll be a vs800 sleeper! Lol.

BRONX INTRUDER
Joined a 850cc Club

Re: Time to Part It Out : Wheel locked up.. Trans shot..

Post by BRONX INTRUDER »

Engine out. Will take pics as i tear down. Lotta crap pc's shaking n moving around inside. Smh.

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Stolen 1-7-15 Returned 1-21-15

Re: Time to Part It Out : Wheel locked up.. Trans shot..

Post by BlacktopTravelr »

Can we slip my 800 motor into that bike? I really like what I see in the pics and the red paint doesn't hurt my opinion of it either. I've only got 130,000 + miles on my bike and need to do something with it. yea, I know it is only just now getting broke in. :lolfall: [space] :soda:
:putput: (putt putt putt)
90 to 95% of my replies are for my own entertainment :space: :XmasTree: