Brake cable giving me trouble taking off rear

Brettmm92
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: Intruder 800

Brake cable giving me trouble taking off rear

Post by Brettmm92 »

Hey,

I'm following the directions in the manual. I am attempting to remove my wheel but this brake cable doesn't want to budge. It doesn't have much wiggle room. I started hitting it with a nail and it just looked like I was tearing it up, even though it almost got out but then started to go crooked. I'm hoping that ya'll have some advice as you usually do.
I was thinking an option was to take the wheel off first with the brake line connected and figuring it out that way.

Here's some pictures of where the brake cable attaches to the tire.

oops, trying to remember how to post pictures

Thanks in advance!
Shoot for perfect, get great, think it's good

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Re: Brake cable giving me trouble taking off rear

Post by Lechy »

The ferrule on the cable sheath tends to get glued in the mounting from roadcrap. Remove the adjusting nuts, spray the ferrule and mounting with WD or similar, leave to penetrate. Take a small hammer and gently tap the mounting whilst pulling and wiggling on the cable.

[emoji41]
Grow old disgracefully young man.

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club
My Bike: CB450 GL1500CT

Post by WintrSol »

So, you unscrewed the adjuster nut, #19: http://www.partsoutlaw.com/oemparts/a/s ... 1-k2-k3-k4
and unbolted the torque arm, #15: http://www.partsoutlaw.com/oemparts/a/s ... inging-arm
and the cable won't slide out of the arm, #12, or the guide on the brake panel, #6: http://www.partsoutlaw.com/oemparts/a/s ... rear-wheel ?
Florissant, MO
CB450K3, GL1500CTValkyrie

Brettmm92
Practicing Bicycling

Post by Brettmm92 »

Lechy, I actually tried something similar (well except I hammered what was inside the guide on the brake panel out) but as I did the brake cable (being very rigid) would contort all weird like as if it wasn't supposed to be hammered that way. It almost got all the way out but it was all bent and looked like it might not even go back in place if I continued. Was definitely like forcing a puzzle piece where it wasn't supposed to go.

WintrSol, That's exactly what's happening. As in the cable won't slide out of the guide on the brake panel (#6). I forced it out by hammering a blunt nail on it but there wasn't much flexibility at all with the brake cable on either side as it seems so rigid. As it came most the way out it bent upward and was almost too much of a challenge manipulating the thin part of the cable still stuck in the guide.

I kind of don't know what to do. I'm thinking I could force it out but it definitely looks like it's not supposed to, or take the rest of the wheel off and attempt sliding the wheel out a lil then using the wheel movement and brake cable(although slight) movement to take the brake cable out rather than manipulating just the cable to get it out. But I'm hoping there's another, proper way to do it that I'm just not seeing.

Anyways, thanks for the replies!

Brettmm92
Practicing Bicycling

Post by Brettmm92 »

Ok,

I just got it off, skipping the cable step was a good idea. When the wheel was undone it was very easy to slide the cable off. And

But as I took the axle, spacer and eventually wheel out I noticed there was a rubber washer that fell out somewhere that obviously goes around the axle but I'm not sure where. Anyone happen to know where?

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club
My Bike: CB450 GL1500CT

Post by WintrSol »

If it's not on the rear wheel parts diagram (third link I posted), it could be from the torque arm, second diagram, #25.
Florissant, MO
CB450K3, GL1500CTValkyrie

Brettmm92
Practicing Bicycling

Post by Brettmm92 »

Yeah, I believe your right.
Thanks again for the help!

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

Yup, rubber washer between the torque arm and drum.

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Post by Lechy »

For future reference.
Remove the bolt holding the reaction arm at the engine end, behind it is a clamp holding the cable, when removed this should loosen the cable enough to be able to pull it out of the socket on the brake plate.

[emoji41]
Grow old disgracefully young man.

Brettmm92
Practicing Bicycling

Post by Brettmm92 »

Thanks, I'll remember that

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Stolen 1-7-15 Returned 1-21-15

Post by BlacktopTravelr »

Lechy wrote:For future reference.
Remove the bolt holding the reaction arm at the engine end, behind it is a clamp holding the cable, when removed this should loosen the cable enough to be able to pull it out of the socket on the brake plate.

[emoji41]
Now you tell me. :bang:

Yes, I'm late getting into this thread, sorry. :bonk:
:putput: (putt putt putt)
90 to 95% of my replies are for my own entertainment :space: :XmasTree: