Headlight removal

mattalt18
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 2002 Suzuki Intruder VS800

Headlight removal

Post by mattalt18 »

Has anyone removed the two peripheral headlights on their VS800? I am trying to minimize as much as possible, was wondering if this is doable and if so how difficult it was. Thanks!

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club
My Bike: CB450 GL1500CT

Re: Headlight removal

Post by WintrSol »

'Peripheral headlights'? Do you mean the turn signals/running lights, or do you have an after-market light bar with white lights?
Florissant, MO
CB450K3, GL1500CTValkyrie

Swcoinguy
Got My M1 License!
My Bike: Vs800+c90

Post by Swcoinguy »

mattalt18 wrote:Has anyone removed the two peripheral headlights on their VS800? I am trying to minimize as much as possible, was wondering if this is doable and if so how difficult it was. Thanks!
If your refering to the signals then it's a simple unscrew and unplug in the headlight.
If you have auxiliary white running lights then it's very similar except-if the signals are mounted to the bar you need to have the OEM mounts on the fork tubes to put the signals back on the bike if you plan to use them. You could go the aftermarket route for signals also.
If the signals are not connected to the lightbar then it should be bolted to the tree somewhere and then the spotlights should have plugs in the headlight bucket. A picture would really shed some light on the subject(pun intended lol)
If it is a seperate lightbar that your trying to remove I would be interested in seeing it if you wanted to get rid of it.

mattalt18
Tricycles are Cool

Post by mattalt18 »

I bought the bike second hand and I guess i just figred they were stock, but maybe not. Picture is below.

https://s22.postimg.org/ap5u0j7ld/image.png

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Post by Lechy »

Not stock, just remove them and seal off the wires.

[emoji41]
Grow old disgracefully young man.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

What Lechy says!
Lots of non-stock parts on that bike...aftermarket grips and Jardine forward controls. [emoji106]

Swcoinguy
Got My M1 License!

Post by Swcoinguy »

mattalt18 wrote:I bought the bike second hand and I guess i just figred they were stock, but maybe not. Picture is below.

https://s22.postimg.org/ap5u0j7ld/image.png
Like others said, it's an add-on lightbar. What did you plan to do with it after you take it off?

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

To answer the original question.
Remove the two screws on the BACK of the headlight bucket, remove the headlight and bezel.
Trace the wires and unplug them....probably in the bucket.
Remove the two nuts under the headlight bucket and slide the lightbar out.

mattalt18
Tricycles are Cool

Post by mattalt18 »

Navigator, I did know the controls weren't stock but not the grips actually. Thanks for the tip on light removal, also received the delete kit and I am installing today, so thanks again for that!

Swcoin, if you are interested in the lights please message me.

Swcoinguy
Got My M1 License!

Post by Swcoinguy »

mattalt18 wrote:Swcoin, if you are interested in the lights please message me.
I am interested depending on what you want for them. I sometimes get an idea that I might like something so I keep an eye out for it. If it comes up for sale for a reasonable price I'll grab it. My problem is I'm notorious for trying something and then deciding to go a different route. I have a lot of parts that I've purchased and then put back on a shelf or traded for something else so I don't want to spend a ton of money on something that I'm not sure of. My VS800 is pretty well stripped of anything I don't need to just ride it. No bags, no extra shiny stuff, basically just what I need to enjoy the ride. The light bar is an idea to get more light on the road at night but if I don't like how it looks or if it doesn't work with my windshield/lowers combo then I'm stuck with it and potentially out whatever I spend on it. I have a National Cycle shield but the Harley lowers are fully custom. They are a combination of Memphis mounts and a set of chrome Harley deflectors that I had to modify to make work. There is a good chance that the lightbar will not work because of the deflectors and I can't pull the deflectors because I get to much wind without them.
It all comes down to how much you want for the lightbar and if I can afford to put that money on a shelf if I don't use it. If we agree on a price I'll have you send me pictures of it. I might be able to trade parts for it too. Is there anything your looking for or in need of?

Swcoinguy
Got My M1 License!

Post by Swcoinguy »

mattalt18 wrote:Swcoin, if you are interested in the lights please message me.
I sent you a private message