Rev limiter? Or something Else?

mattalt18
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 2002 Suzuki Intruder VS800

Rev limiter? Or something Else?

Post by mattalt18 »

Hi All,

I have a 2002 Intruder VS800 that I've been riding for about a year now. I bought her second hand with only 2900 miles and she ran beautifully until a small hiccup recently that I can't quite figure out. When pushing the bike past 85mph on the highway the engine will sort of stutter and the revs will drop drastically for a second and then catch its self, maintaining between 80 and 85mph. This is sometimes accompanied by a backfire, but not always. Now I know I'm only sitting on 800cc, she's screaming at those speeds, but in the past I've been able to put it up into the 90s with no problem, even tapping 100+ once in awhile without complaint from the engine. I'm not so much concerned with being able to go that fast as much as I am concerned that it is an issue with the bike.

I changed the spark plugs (they were filthy anyways, and I just figured with the backfiring it may be an ignition issue) and it did not help. Could it be the rev limiter cutting power to the engine? And if so is it normal for it to be kicking in at that speed? If anyone has any insight or has had the same issue I'd really appreciate some help. Thanks!

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Re: Rev limiter? Or something Else?

Post by navigator »

The 800 does not have a rev limiter, and as you say should easily do 100.
They are very battery dependent though, make sure your battery connections are clean so you get good spark at high rpm's.
Make sure you have no restrictions in the air filters...critters, etc.
Maybe you need a carb sync, although not likely since you have been up to higher speeds.
Another thing to try is unscrewing the plug cap from the high tension lead, and slicing 1/4" off the end of the wire, then reinstall.