Tubeless tire with innertube?

ClassicfnRD
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: Intruder vs800

Tubeless tire with innertube?

Post by ClassicfnRD »

So my shinko front tire, a brand I REALLY like, just arrived today, and it's a tubeless tire. I did not see anything on the description about it being tubeless before I ordered it, it just said it would fit my bike! Haha...but sure as shit the sticker on the tire says it's tubeless, which it's kinda obvious from looking at the inside of the tire. Now, I've never done it, but I understand that some say you can run tubeless tires with innertubes, even though the tubeless tire is more robust, and also it brings down the speed and load rating, even though that's not a big deal since I don't plan to sustain speeds over 80 for extended periods of time.....

Any of you guys ever done it? Anyone recommend against it?

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Re: Tubeless tire with innertube?

Post by Lechy »

A lot of tires are rated as to be compatible with both tube and tubeless applications. I would contact Shinko and find out if yours fell into this category. You really don't want a front end blow out at any speed.

[emoji41]
Grow old disgracefully young man.

Blaine
Passed the Circle Test
My Bike: 05 S83 07 M50

Post by Blaine »

I have always used Tubeless tires with tubes........Never had a problem.....Most tires manufactured today are the "Tubeless" virarty.
If at first you succeed,don't be surprised.

Swcoinguy
Got My M1 License!
My Bike: Vs800+c90

Post by Swcoinguy »

I run Dunlop 404's with tubes and I've never had a problem. They are a tubeless tire and perform fine below, at, and above 80 mph :wink:
You can contact the manufacturer but I'd be very surprised if there is any issue using a tube in a tubeless tire. Just be sure to look at the inner carcass of the tire and ensure that there is nothing that will poke a hole in the tube. I have been told that tube tires are smoother inside but I've never seen a tubeless tire that wasn't smooth inside. Better safe than sorry though so take a peek or run your hand around the inside of the tire before you mount it.

lonerider
Joined a 650cc Club
My Bike: vs1400

Post by lonerider »

Use a tube in your tubeless tire. Go for it! Don't worry 'bout it. How could that be a problem? It can't. Have fun. 10-4.

:cheers:

ClassicfnRD
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: Intruder vs800

Post by ClassicfnRD »

So, since I've never had to mess with a tube-up tire, I decided to do the research. Turns out, most manufacturers make their tires to swing both ways. The sticker that was on my tire did say "tubeless" but inspecting the tire, it said it can be used with an innertube on the sidewall. Rule of thumb is, evidently, that it will just just drop the speed and load rating down one, if that makes sense. Which is no big deal.

Spacecoast
Passed the Circle Test
My Bike: Yamaha FZ-09 Suzuki S83

Post by Spacecoast »

I installed a new Shinko 777 front tire on my S83 last month. Originally I was going to install a tube, so I checked with Shinko and they told me that the 777 can use a tube. I don't know what model you have, but I would just check with them....generally cruiser bikes run with bias-ply tires, which are suitable for tubes, regardless if the tire is a tubeless or tube-type tire. Radials...generally no tube allowed. Tubleless tires mean that the tire will hold air without a tube...it doesn't mean that tubes can not be used, but there are exceptions. Be sure to check the inside of the tire for any stickers and remove them...and also feel for any "sharp" inside edges and fix that prior to installing so it doesn't chafe the tube.

I'm not using a tube since I sealed the spokes. I only had one spoke that leaked, and was able to squeeze the tire together, expose the leaking spoke and re-apply sealant, thus not removing the newly installed tire. So far, no other leaks.

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Stolen 1-7-15 Returned 1-21-15

Post by BlacktopTravelr »

I'm sure you already know that spoked rims use tubes and mag wheels can go tubeless. So if your rims have spokes you will have to use the tube no matter what type tire you use. :blink: Put the tube in and ride the bike like you stole it. Just keep an eye out for the other guy as they don't see bikes (especially motorcycles) all that well. :cheers:
:putput: (putt putt putt)
90 to 95% of my replies are for my own entertainment :space: :XmasTree: