Rolling in Gear

TogaRiderNY
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 1994 Suzuki Intruder 800

Rolling in Gear

Post by TogaRiderNY »

Hey folks!

So my 94 vs800 was sitting outside for a couple of years without any real use and minor maintenance (oil changes, gas treatment). Clutch/brake fluid changed last spring.

So my issue here is that when the bike is OFF and IN GEAR, it still rolls almost as easily as it would in neutral.

I haven't done any real digging just yet but I have bled the clutch twice in the past few weeks, and there seems to be an appropriate amount of pressure on the clutch lever (not loose or spongy). I also plan on changing out the friction plates and the springs once I get in there.

Oil has been changed at the same time as the bleeding and ill change it out again once I get new plates and springs in.

So what would be the general cause of the bike to just roll while in gear? Is there something else I should be worried about?

I should also note that when bike was started after the initial clutch bleed, she would die when attempting to get her in gear. This makes me think that there is still air in the lines.

Let me know what you guys think and if there's anything else I should be doing/looking for as I'm trying to solve the problem.

Thanks!!

Blaine
Passed the Circle Test
My Bike: 05 S83 07 M50

Re: Rolling in Gear

Post by Blaine »

Sounds like the clutch plates are stuck.....Common when a bike sits with no use.....You may want to get the front wheel against a wall & give it a good jolt into first gear......Thats usually enough to break the plates free.
If at first you succeed,don't be surprised.

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club
My Bike: CB450 GL1500CT

Post by WintrSol »

TogaRiderNY wrote: So my issue here is that when the bike is OFF and IN GEAR, it still rolls almost as easily as it would in neutral.

So what would be the general cause of the bike to just roll while in gear? Is there something else I should be worried about?
I assume you mean when the clutch lever is released, which would indicate the clutch slave is stuck in the extended position, disengaging the clutch. It could be the fluid in it has turned to sludge.
I should also note that when bike was started after the initial clutch bleed, she would die when attempting to get her in gear. This makes me think that there is still air in the lines.
This implies just the opposite - that the clutch is sticking, and attempting to move the bike, even though it is disengaged. Does it still do this AND roll in gear?
Florissant, MO
CB450K3, GL1500CTValkyrie

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Post by Lechy »

Get some rags, pump the clutch lever a couple of times, put the rags under the banjo bolt and slowly back it out, If you get a stream or flow of fluid you will need to clean out the return hole on the bottom of the master. If no flow you will need to remove, dismantle and clean the slave as they do get full of crud as WS pointed out,

[emoji41]
Grow old disgracefully young man.

TogaRiderNY
Tricycles are Cool

Post by TogaRiderNY »

Blaine wrote:Sounds like the clutch plates are stuck.....Common when a bike sits with no use.....You may want to get the front wheel against a wall & give it a good jolt into first gear......Thats usually enough to break the plates free.
Thanks Blaine I'll give the trick a try!

TogaRiderNY
Tricycles are Cool

Post by TogaRiderNY »

WintrSol wrote:
TogaRiderNY wrote: So my issue here is that when the bike is OFF and IN GEAR, it still rolls almost as easily as it would in neutral.

I assume you mean when the clutch lever is released, which would indicate the clutch slave is stuck in the extended position, disengaging the clutch. It could be the fluid in it has turned to sludge.
This implies just the opposite - that the clutch is sticking, and attempting to move the bike, even though it is disengaged. Does it still do this AND roll in gear?

Sorry the wording can be confusing (for me at least). So I'll explain it so there's no misunderstanding.

When the bike is OFF it can ROLL while in gear, with a little bit of resistance (not much but I can feel it).

When I turn the bike on (in neutral), and attempt to shift into 1st, there's the grinding noise (as if the clutch lever is not pulled in) and the bike shuts off.

So to sum it up....the bike rolls while in gear as if the clutch lever is pulled in, but when attempting to shift, it dies as if the clutch lever is not pulled in.

Sorry for being redundant :hat: :soapbox:

:)

TogaRiderNY
Tricycles are Cool

Post by TogaRiderNY »

Lechy wrote:Get some rags, pump the clutch lever a couple of times, put the rags under the banjo bolt and slowly back it out, If you get a stream or flow of fluid you will need to clean out the return hole on the bottom of the master. If no flow you will need to remove, dismantle and clean the slave as they do get full of crud as WS pointed out,

[emoji41]

Thanks lechy, I'll give that a go as well.

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Post by Lechy »

If you try to engage a gear with the sidestand down it will cut out. For now it would be advisable to disconnect the wires from the switch and jumper them together.
[emoji41]
Grow old disgracefully young man.

WintrSol
Joined a 450cc Club
My Bike: CB450 GL1500CT

Post by WintrSol »

TogaRiderNY wrote: When the bike is OFF it can ROLL while in gear, with a little bit of resistance (not much but I can feel it).
So, the clutch is, at the least, mostly disengaged, indicating the slave cylinder is extended. There is a pressure relief hold in the bottom of the reservoir which, if blocked, can cause increased pressure in the slave, but that, by itself, wouldn't cause this. Take the slave apart and clean it, then bleed the system again.
When I turn the bike on (in neutral), and attempt to shift into 1st, there's the grinding noise (as if the clutch lever is not pulled in) and the bike shuts off.
Lechy's comment about the side stand switch may be the key here. The transmission input shaft would be spinning, even if the clutch is mostly disengaged, so you would hear the gear clash. But, if that switch is not working properly (or the stand is down), the engine would still die. It isn't hard to bypass the switch, especially if you have the cover off to access the slave cylinder, as there is a connector in there you can easily jumper.
So to sum it up....the bike rolls while in gear as if the clutch lever is pulled in, but when attempting to shift, it dies as if the clutch lever is not pulled in.

Sorry for being redundant :hat: :soapbox:

:)
Good luck finding the problem.
Florissant, MO
CB450K3, GL1500CTValkyrie

TogaRiderNY
Tricycles are Cool

Post by TogaRiderNY »

So just wanted to update everyone on my progress....

- thanks to everyone that pointed out the obvious regarding the kickstand being down. I have to say I kicked myself for not even realizing that might have been a possible cause of the bike shutting off. :bang:

- regardless of the kickstand being down though, the gears were still grinding as I attempted to shift into 1st.

......so I bled the clutch two more times, messed around with the banjo bolt, and hit the bike with a rubber mallet a couple of dozen times....two days later, bike stays in gear and doesn't roll when it's off.

I'm still planning on changing the friction plates and springs, but I'm glad to say my girl is feeling better today :)

Thanks to everyone for suggestions and help!