New front tire on it's way

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Stolen 1-7-15 Returned 1-21-15

New front tire on it's way

Post by BlacktopTravelr »

I ordered a new Shinko 712 Front Tire (100/90H-19/Blackwall) today. When it gets here I can either put it on myself or pay the man to put it on ($40). Since I need a new compressor I think I will buy one and put the tire on myself. [emoji106] I still have to buy a rear tire also, but it will be a car tire. 165/80 15
:putput: (putt putt putt)
90 to 95% of my replies are for my own entertainment :space: :XmasTree:

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Re: New front tire on it's way

Post by navigator »

Three spoons will mount your tires forever.

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club

But all I have are plastic spoons. I do have a metal pocket knife. :blink: [space] :OhNo; [space] :lolfall:

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

These will do many tires for a lot less than the shop is for one tire.

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywo ... sz61_e_p19
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club

Just ordered the rear tire online at a price of $66. It is the Darkside 165/80-15 NANKANG CX-668 80R R15 TIRE. I have used this one before and like it. Now I hope to get to Tulsa and buy the air compressor to mount these tires myself. A man needs an air compressor for these types of things and maybe a little painting as well. [emoji106] I hope walmart still sells the tire spoons. :lolfall: If I had looked on the internet a little longer I could have found it cheaper and a different brand but same size for $15 cheaper. :bang:

Edit: Ebay and UPS both say the tire will be here Friday. :shock:

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club

Got back from a ride to the bank (67 miles one way) and both tires were here. Heck I just ordered the back one yesterday. :bonk: [space] :eek:

linesider
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: Suzi vs1400 Kawasaki Nomad

Post by linesider »

they probably shipped from someplace between your home and the bank!! :jester:

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club

Well, it seems I had a brain fart. Besides losing the tool to take out the front axle and buying a complete set of allen head sockets for $22 once I got the tire off I realized I didn't have a way to break the bead off the wheel. So now I have a bike setting on a normal jack that could fall over at any time I have a tire with no air in it and no way to break it down or put air in it. If that wasn't bad enough the van fuel gauge is on empty. I can't win for losing. Starting to feel a little like Hillary. :bang:

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club

Kieth, I thought about doing that but since I have the snowflake rims I didn't want to take the chance on busting the rim. So I ended up going to Harbor Freight and buying a tire changing tool with a bead breaker when I found out my neighbor was going over there anyway. I didn't plan on adding any tools when I set out to put these tires on, but it looks like I didn't have much choice. :bonk: Now I will have to put a base on the changer but that shouldn't be that hard since I have an old piece of plywood laying around here someplace. [emoji106]

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

I have used a jack under a car to break a bead. Bumper jacks work the best but even a scissors jack can be used. It is easy to control the placement of the jack so that it doesn't hurt the rim. Use a board or piece of plywood under the area of the rim where you are working to protect the rim from the ground.

Front tires can usually be broken by putting a board on the tire and jumping on it.
Again, put something under the rim to protect it from the ground.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club

Front tire is on and aired up. I still have a small wobble in the front end when taking off, but it's not as bad as the one I had with the old tire. I'm beginning to think it might be because of a lack of oil in the front fork caused by a leaking fork seal. What really brothers me now is the fact that my rotor was covered in oil. So that means the brake pads are soaked in oil also. :eek: [space] :bang: Just another thing to buy, new brake pads, fork oil, and fork seal. I have to wait til next month to get the rear tire changed since I can't find anyone that is willing to air up the car tire or willing to let me air it up. That's what I get for being honest when asked what kind of tire it is. :bang: The air compressor will cost me $70 more next month and I'll also need to get an air hose. Jeezs will I ever get ahead money wise? :OhNo;

Truckingeek
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: Ones with two wheels

Post by Truckingeek »

When I did a darkside conversion I took it to my locale semi-truck tire roadside repair guy. He put it in a cage he had, hooked the airline to it and reminded me that if it blew out the sidewall he wasn't responsible. He has a MUCH bigger compressor than any shop would have since he fills a lot of big ass tires all day.

Side note... If a guy is willing to stand on the shoulder of an interstate to repair a tire while traffic whip's by a couple feet from his ass, over inflating a small tire doesn't even make him frown. Just food for thought.

OH and BTW... no, you will never get ahead. No matter how much money you get there is just to many cool things to spend it all on.

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club

Truckingeek, you're probably right on everything including the getting ahead, maybe I should say especially the getting ahead thing.. :bang: There is a tire shop just a mile from here I will check out asap. [emoji106]