oil and temp light

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Stolen 1-7-15 Returned 1-21-15

oil and temp light

Post by BlacktopTravelr »

On the way home Tuesday from the bank I noticed my oil and temp lights , the top two lights, were just barely glowing. After about 26 miles they seemed to be a little brighter so I stopped and put a qt of oil in the bike since I knew it could use some oil since it has a leak and it was time to change the oil and filter, which I will do Friday when I get my SS money. Anyway, back to my problem, the lights would go from bright to dim or off completely for the whole 50 mile trip home. So I added another qt thinking it might be lower than I thought. I took a short 30 mile trip to Wally world and the lights were still shining sometimes bright and sometimes dim. So on the off chance it was empty of oil when all this started I bought a third qt of oil but didn't put it in. when I went out this morning to check on the oil and put in that third qt I checked the oil sight glass and it looked over filled. At least I didn't see any dirty oil. :bonk: So of course I didn't put any oil in.

Now I need some help or ideas on what to check to see why my lights stay on. Could the stator be going bad? Would that make my oil and temp lights come on? Could it be a bad battery connection? I haven't had any trouble starting it since that time I left the key on right before I put the forwards on. I doubt if that has anything to do with it, but I did have to r&r the brake light switch and the side stand safety switch.
:putput: (putt putt putt)
90 to 95% of my replies are for my own entertainment :space: :XmasTree:

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Re: oil and temp light

Post by Lechy »

Sounds more like the earthing wire from the cluster is starting to short to ground. Black/white.
[emoji41]
Grow old disgracefully young man.

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club

Lechy wrote:Sounds more like the earthing wire from the cluster is starting to short to ground. Black/white.
[emoji41]
I was afraid you would say something like that. Now where do I start my search for this bad ground? :OhNo;

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

As near as I can tell, according to the wiring diagram, the switches for these 2 are 2 different circuits, although the power comes from the same point, AND both switches provide a ground to turn on the lights.

Are you sure that the issue isn't overheating?

If there is a wiring problem, the most obvious place for it to happen is inside the headlight or where the wires go under the triple tree.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club

Post by Lechy »

I had a brainfart here, but I'm occupied with a starter motor.
Turn on the ignition with the bike cold, are you getting lights? If yes, you will need to trace both wires back from the sensors to the lights and see if there are any crushed points or chaffed insulation where Herb said. If not, check the rad for water.
[emoji41]

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club

Before I go out and start something I would prefer not to do, tell me why if it is hot why the oil light would come on but the fan wouldn't? :Umm: [space] :OhNo; But it does sound like a ground short someplace. :blink:

Oh and who has a decent download of the 800 manuel? I lost mine when my laptop crashed. :bonk:
As you can tell by my questions I am as dumb as a box of rocks when it comes to this stuff. :bang:

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club

Post by Lechy »

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club