New clutch installed, friction plate won't grab

fishingmafia
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: Intruder VS800

New clutch installed, friction plate won't grab

Post by fishingmafia »

I have a 94 Suzuki Intruer VS800. I ordered a new set of clutch plates from EBC Brakes (part #ck3377) I installed the plate with the larger inside diameter first with the two rings that fit inside it then alternated steels and plates after that. My problem is that it seems the post that pushes the friction plate out is too far out and the plate won't grab the stack as I'm tightening the clutch spring bolts. Do I have to adjust the slave cylinder? I'm not sure what to do here. If I install the larger diameter plate last it will grab but I did that and it just ripped up the cork on the first plate. It ran for a while with the plates installed the wrong way but just gave out on me. Also the clutch seemed to engage too soon (1/2" from the bar) any help would be appreciated.

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Re: New clutch installed, friction plate won't grab

Post by Lechy »

Try pulling and reseating the pin in the slave cylinder, it could have got hung up in the piston. Whilst you have the slave off, it would be a good idea to dismantle it and clean as they do get full of nasty crud.
Just a suggestion.

[emoji41]
Grow old disgracefully young man.

fishingmafia
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: Intruder VS800

Re: New clutch installed, friction plate won't grab

Post by fishingmafia »

Thanks, that's what I was kind of wondering. When I first put the new clutch in the return on the master was clogged, so I used a guitar string to clean it out and almost shot myself in the face when I squeezed the clutch lever. I also gravely bleed the clutch and filled with new fluid as it bled until it ran clean.