Rejet procedures?

ClassicfnRD
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: Intruder vs800

Rejet procedures?

Post by ClassicfnRD »

From my understanding, the vz800 and vs800 are the same? If that's the case, will the GS3 rejet (courtesy of migcruisers) work on this bike? If not, what have you guys done? Definitely gonna either slash cut the pipes that are on the vs800 I'm buying (not stock, but not sure what brand) or throw on a custom set. I like em loud. Also, any opinions or knowledge on Springer seats, and rigid struts, or shorter shocks would be greatly appreciated.

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Re: Rejet procedures?

Post by Lechy »

You don't need to rejet unless you mess with the intake system. Just give the carbs a good cleaning, synch them and adjust the AF mix.

[emoji41]
Grow old disgracefully young man.

ClassicfnRD
Practicing Bicycling

Post by ClassicfnRD »

Oh I'm definitely gonna gut the air boxes out of there, and toss some k&n filters in. Or maybe velocity stacks? I dunno. Stacks probably wouldn't suck that much more air, and wouldn't ever be seen, so unless they provide a sizeable gain over k&N's, probably won't use em. The bikes definitely gonna be bobbed and made to run.

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club

Post by Lechy »

On the 750/800's there is no gain in fitting pod filters except for looks, all you will achieve is the opening of a can of worms and a load of frustration. Many have tried and have not been happy with the results.
But, it's your machine, do what you want to it.
[emoji41]

ClassicfnRD
Practicing Bicycling

Post by ClassicfnRD »

That's weird. I don't see why? If these motors are as similar to the vz800 as everything I've read says, then I don't see the problem. Gonna have to look further into that, and see if anyone figured something out. Better yet, gonna have to research the vs motor a lot more.

ClassicfnRD
Practicing Bicycling

Post by ClassicfnRD »

Since I can't sleep I did some research and found other threads, some on this forum, some on others, of people doing what I want to do, and as said...no one's seemed to have any luck. That's discouraging, but at least I can keep this experiment cheap with just jets, needles, and shims.. The filters for my vz800 were like $60 a piece....

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club

Post by Lechy »

Air filters are not expensive:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EMGO-Suzuki-VS7 ... 4r&vxp=mtr

[emoji41]

ClassicfnRD
Practicing Bicycling

Post by ClassicfnRD »

Are those the stock filters that go inside the box?

Cause these are what were in my marauder, and they were pricey, but that's expected, as they're k&n.
URL=http://s80.photobucket.com/user/Rmuhfki ... 3.jpg.html]Image[/URL]

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club

Post by Lechy »

Yep, stock in the box.
The reasons fitting free flow filters is a bad idea is that the carbs are constant velocity type and require a balance between air flow through the throat and a slight negative pressure above the slider diaphragm. The air boxes also act as a reservoir and pulsation damper to ensure a smooth flow through the carbs.
A very simplified explanation but will give you the basic idea.
I'm about to carry out a few experiments with pods and socks. The previous owner fitted a stage 3 jet kit but didn't alter anything else, my needles are set at 2 down on the front and 3 down on the rear, still running quite rich and returning about 18 km per liter which is about right for an 800. I'll be posting my findings good or bad in a few weeks.
I will not remove the air boxes just in case it all goes tits up and I return to stock.

[emoji41]

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

Lechy wrote:On the 750/800's there is no gain in fitting pod filters except for looks, all you will achieve is the opening of a can of worms and a load of frustration. Many have tried and have not been happy with the results.
But, it's your machine, do what you want to it.
[emoji41]
What Lechy says. [emoji106]
The VS800 is pretty much optimum in the performance dept. in stock condition.
You need air boxes or some kind of sock on the pod filters to lift the slides.
You can uncork a VS1400 successfully, the VS800, not so much.
You will probably lose midrange performance, and reduce gas mileage when rejetting....to each his own.

ClassicfnRD
Practicing Bicycling

Post by ClassicfnRD »

We definitely keep us updated on your findings, lechy. I'm hoping for some good results. I understand this bike is pretty "torquey", as it is slightly quicker than the Vulcan 750 I had, which was pretty damn quick, especially with an "ear shave"., Though, after the ear shave, and rejet, the Vulcan would smoke the intruder, amongst many other bikes. That was a sweet ride. It's kind of a let down that rejetting won't do much for the intruder, but on the other hand....less hassle I guess?

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club

Post by Lechy »

I will not be looking for an increase in power, that would only be possible if I could get hold of a set of VR51A heads and cams which would give a considerable increase, I am looking to be able to keep the performance as near as possible to stock, an increase would be a bonus. The reason is that living in Thailand parts for the Intruder are like rocking horse shit and to import them is very expensive due to postage charges and import duties. I also want to re-position the battery into the void left from removing the rear airbox as the roads and often flooding really makes a mess of the battery where it is located.

[emoji41]

ClassicfnRD
Practicing Bicycling

Post by ClassicfnRD »

Ahhhh. Well thanks for the parts drop. Gonna look into that.

ClassicfnRD
Practicing Bicycling

Post by ClassicfnRD »

What are these V5 1A heads, you speak of? Heads from a 750?

Also, that stage 3 jet do anything for the bike, or was it just on there cause the exhaust was changed out?

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club

Post by Lechy »

The '85 750 was not exported to America due to federal regulations. It kicked out 63 hp at 7k rpm. The designation 1A indicates an unrestricted model. I have 2 Intruders, an unrestricted 750 and an 800 with the detuned engine, both are set up correctly and the 750 will blow the wheels off the 800. I doubt very much that the 1A set up will be easy to find anywhere most definitely not from the dealership.
The stage 3 is not worth a shyte with an original set up, best to stay standard. Also, replacing the mufflers only requires an AF adjustment, putting on larger bore headers will have a detrimental effect on mid to high performance.
[emoji41]

ClassicfnRD
Practicing Bicycling

Post by ClassicfnRD »

You've been my hero so far as to intruder knowledge.

I've found a complete head and cam assembly, but it's gonna be a little out of my price range for this riding season. You've pretty much talked me into leaving the jetting and induction alone, which honestly, isn't that big of a deal, since I'll be able to focus fully on the aesthetic of the bike instead. I do want some different pipes, though. But I'll have to find a place that'll make me some custom. Don't really dig what I'm seeing online. May take off the mufflers in the meantime, depending on sound, and the effects on the tuning. Pretty much gonna strip this bike down to bare bones.

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club

Post by Lechy »

Go for broke, post pics as you progress.
Good luck and happy trails.

[emoji41]