Sputtering at High RPM's

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Re: Sputtering at High RPM's

Post by navigator »

IIRC one carbs screw is Phillips, the other is allen.

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Post by old time rider »

A thin paper clip is good to make the poke tool from and leave part as a handle.Tap on float bowl with a small plastic hammer or screw driver handle before starting to take screw out . I like to flush them a few times if any crud was in them before putting drain screw back. Cheap good stuff to all ways have with tools .Ice cream sticks,paper clips,and emery cloth.Good luck. :cheers:

gatorkea
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: Intruder VS800GL

Post by gatorkea »

Ok I examined my rear air filter. Image
My air box looks like it has oil in it and kinda dirty Image
Not sure what the small hose is on top of the large one, but I think it was disconnected I put it back onto what I think is where it belongs 0_o Image
I see this shaft hanging down with a screw above it, is that the drain plug? It is stripped out bad so I need to get it out Image

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Post by Lechy »

Yep, that's the drain plug. It's a taper end so backing it out just a thread or 3 should open it up unless the bowl is badly crudded up. Catching the fuel can be a bit of a problem, I shove a short length of 3mm hose over it and drain into an aerosol lid, still not easy to do if you are ham fisted.
[emoji41]
Grow old disgracefully young man.

old time rider
Back on the Road
My Bike: 650Vstrom

Post by old time rider »

On draining it making a mess is not that big a deal to me if going to wash it after the work.If it is to you I take old plastic bottles like a dish wash or even a drink bottle.Take a sharp knife or anything that will cut them.A water bottle is real easy.Cut the bottom off then cut a side to fit around and the rest enough to do your work and let it drain out the mouth that is now down.A hose or another bottle can be at mouth or tape it to it.One time use from stuff you are throwing away is so easy.Good luck. :cheers:

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

On your rear air filter:
The engine vents the crankcase to the rear air box. If your oil is over full, it'll vent the extra to your filter.
'Some' oil in there is normal.
Your front filter likely wont look as bad.
Just wipe the airbox out, and replace.
The small hose is a carb vent to air, no hookup on the other end.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

On the sputtering:
Your intake manifold has a crack in it. (In your pic with the float drain.)
This may be causing a vacuum leak at high rpm's.
Check both manifolds.
Smear some RTV in the cracks.

Swcoinguy
Got My M1 License!
My Bike: Vs800+c90

Post by Swcoinguy »

navigator wrote:On the sputtering:
Your intake manifold has a crack in it. (In your pic with the float drain.)
This may be causing a vacuum leak at high rpm's.
Check both manifolds.
Smear some RTV in the cracks.
Good catch sir. :clap:

gatorkea
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: Intruder VS800GL

Post by gatorkea »

Thanks I did not see that before, Just bought some gasket sealer to see if it does anything.

HDR
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: 1997 Suzuki Intruder vs800gl

Post by HDR »

98VS1400 wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:23 am
gatorkea wrote:I switched the spark plugs with no change, before I take the carbs apart should I add seafoam to my gas tank?
Yes, absolutely. You won't hurt a thing by using Seafoam, so it can only help. The recommendations are 1 ounce of Seafoam to every 1 gallon of gasoline in the tank. You can go slightly higher, but you won't really gain much. What Seafoam does is it breaks down any deposits left in the fuel system from using ethanol gas. Ethanol gas has a tendency to attract water and gunk up the fuel system. You may eventually need to pull out the carbs and do a proper cleaning, but most of the time a few tanks of gas with Seafoam in it will help to clear out minor gunkage.

You might be well served to pull out the air filters and have a look at them, if you haven't. And if your bike hasn't had the carburetors synced in a while, it might be a good idea to look into that.

P.S., our member "navigator" is most likely the single most knowledgeable person I've ever had the pleasure of meeting when it comes to the Suzuki Intruders, particularly the VS800 model. He and his wife each have one and his expertise on the care and maintenance of them is unmatched. What I'm trying to say, is if navigator gives anyone advice, you can take it to the bank.

Ok.. so i just read through this whole thread because my 800 is sputtering after being down for a few months. And i gotta say, i went from over exhilaration at reading that all i have to do. Twice. Is to add seafoam to the fuel tank. To "Oh Lord , please no, !! Frek (sorry😔) with my damn luck, that's exactly what I'm going to have to do, redo,rebuild the little thingys, the jet things. Add to that, that I'm fearfully estimating... that in any of the next few sentences, gatorkea is gonna say....that a seance... needs to be performed on the bike! 😯🤣😂 In my mind I'm like "ok, ok, wait, what? What? ...what? Why? D@mmit.. fine" after seafoam and an articulate, simple & clear explanation of why and how the seafoam was gonna be used, , I saw carb cleaning, air filters, and carburators. I .. i just want it to stop shaking so much that's it, i don't want it to do flips🤣. Ok I'm done . Wheeew.. i apologize. But gatorkea thank you so much for your input and for taking the time. As I read your comments and saw the reason, or rationale behind it, it makes absolute sense. Some of these parts, are a pain to get to, perhaps delicate. So if you're in there and something else can be checked, then it should be checked, serves the rider best anyway as far s performance, and safety most important. I should be having to still up the tank tonight or tomorrow morning, I'll be sure to add the seafoam as you advise. And go from there. The carbs were just cleaned but, then the bike was on standstill for a few months. I'll post back with results. Thank y'all for your input, and ride safe.