Spark plugs

BlacktopTravelr
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Stolen 1-7-15 Returned 1-21-15

Spark plugs

Post by BlacktopTravelr »

I use Iridium plugs and have many more miles on them than I would admit to anybody. I did find this and thought the tech board might be interested. I know I have more than 30,000 miles on mine. So when riding season gets here I will put in a new set.
Q. How long will Iridium Last?
A. Iridium use represents the most significant technological advance in automotive spark plug manufacturing, since platinum was introduced in the early eighties. As vehicle manufacturers produce increasingly complex and efficient automobiles, there is a greater need for long-life plugs that can tolerate leaner fuel mixtures and improved combustion processes. DENSO has responded to this need by developing its Iridium alloy, originally for OE applications. For example, many newer Lexus? and Toyota models carry an ultra long-life Iridium plug variation (.7mm with platinum tipped ground) that is capable of up to 120,000 miles of service. DENSO Iridium Power plugs, with their .4mm center electrode, have been developed for performance applications. Because gradual wear will ?round-off? firing points over time, the concentrated firing power and voltage requirement benefits will be reduced. For this reason, DENSO advises replacement after 30,000 miles.
:putput: (putt putt putt)
90 to 95% of my replies are for my own entertainment :space: :XmasTree:

YoDude
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Suzi 1400

Re: Spark plugs

Post by YoDude »

Hey John, I think the last part was about using Iridium plugs in performance applications, recommending them to be replaced every 30k miles. You're not a performance rider, leave 'em in there for another 90k miles. You'll be just fine!

Yo-
Intelligence is just the right thing to have, to render yourself extinct.

ddog6900
Joined a 250cc Club

Re: Spark plugs

Post by ddog6900 »

Regular replacement of plugs, and to a lesser extent caps and wires, aid in a more complete combustion and cleaner combustion chamber. Plugs, even platinum and Iridium, should be changed at 12K to 20K. Proper gap and clean connections are also essential. In these times of out all the MPG we can, the low cost of plugs, filtereekingfilterslar fluid changes and proper maintenance (like proper pressure in your tires) go a long way to a higher MPG and longevity of your ride.

My 2¢