My First Intruder

Minnow990
Practicing Bicycling

My First Intruder

Post by Minnow990 »

Just kinda migrating previous posts over here :)

Original Thread

Again, I've got two things ordered and coming in this week: new rear brake cable, and new ignition switch/gas cap/helmet lock

Next most important items will be pipes & Speedometer (found out the speedometer gear on the front axle is busted, won't turn, part is #8 in this diagaram)

Pipes
So my father-in-law (not yet, but soon lol) says that we can get 1.5" straight pipes for the bike from pretty much any exhaust shop, cheap. I'm just wondering if anyone has any better suggestions or ideas to contribute.

Speedometer
There's this one from an '87 700 or is this part pretty much universal? There's a bunch here in this search but i'm not sure if they'll all work or not. Much advice is needed.

Handlebars
Open to suggestions here - I'm looking at getting different bars since these ones are at an odd angle. I've gotten suggestions from my father-in-law, but i'm looking for many different (cheap) options. ;)

Tail lights/Turn Signals
Front turn signals work, back ones do not. Looking at getting a maltese cross tail light to match the mirrors. Objections/suggestions welcome.

Electrical
Wires galore under my seat - is this normal? Or should I clean it up. If so, how should I go about it because I've never really worked with wires...

Other stuff
This is an intruder forum. If there's cool sh!t you guys have done that'd you like to share with a first-timer, let me know! If you need more pictures, tell me of what and I'll make it happen.
Minnow990
1987 Intruder VS700
New Supporter of Bikers Against Child Abuse

DMIntruder
Riding on Learners Permit

Re: My First Intruder

Post by DMIntruder »

Before you go spending money on that speedo gear hub, check out my post here where you can refurbish it.

http://www.intruderalert.com/cafe/index ... cID=243114

It could save you over $100. I wish the spare I have would work for you because I have a nice one ready to go.

I was going to share a picture with you on what a proper wiring harness should look like under the seat, but freaking Photobucket SUCKS now.

DMIntruder

Post by DMIntruder »

Ok finally Photosucket let me in. here is a picture of the wiring harness in my 97. It looks pretty good to me and that is how I found it when I bought the bike.

Here is my 88's rats nest. Again this is how it was when I bought the bike.

DMIntruder

Post by DMIntruder »

98VS1400 wrote:Your '88 looks like a rat went in and took a dump where your harness used to be! :big grin:
Yes, the real issue is that there are very few connectors left. Most are gone and connected with slide lugs. Replacing the wiring harness only gives me one side of the connectors too and there isn't a good source for the mates.

Minnow990
Practicing Bicycling

Post by Minnow990 »

Thanks for the pics DM, those will come in handy. Do you know what each of them are? I'd like to label mine for future reference. And for more immediate purposes, is one of those connections the ignition wires? I'm replacing mine around Saturday or so, and I need to know where the wires are for when I take it out.

Thanks guys, you're really helping me out!

Check out my newest post back on the original IA - I've got clutch problems now. I hate to be posting in more than one place, so I think I'm going to ask everyone to start posting replies here.

Pretty much won't disengage completely. A few things I've heard could be the culprit: air in the line, bad fluid, corrosion, adjustment, etc.

I just want to know if this can be easily fixed or will I need a whole new master cylinder?
Minnow990
1987 Intruder VS700

DMIntruder

Post by DMIntruder »

No I think for clarification and to keep threads less confusing, you should start a new thread on your clutch issue. others that need that information will not know it is in this post. JMO.

No, off the top of my head I don't know which ones go to what component. Hopefully you will not need to mess with them often enough to need them labeled. Of course my pics are also from a 1400, an 800 might be somewhat different.

Minnow990
Practicing Bicycling

Post by Minnow990 »

Yeah I think that makes more sense.

Will do that.
Minnow990
1987 Intruder VS700