I Thing I may have a plugged clutch line/

mbeauchene
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 2003 Intruder VS800

I Thing I may have a plugged clutch line/

Post by mbeauchene »

Hi All, brand new here. I just bought a 2003 Intruder 800VS with only 2,370 miles on it, so it obviously sat for a while, like 10 years. the clutch wasn't working when I picked it up and the reservoir was plugged and damaged. Bought a replacement master cylinder that is in darn good shape. I tore it down, cleaned and lubed everything, put it back together, primed it, connected the clutch line and the lever will only depress a fraction. It pulls only about half an inch then hard as a rock. I crack the bleeder valve and it still wont depress. I'm thinking maybe the clutch cable is plugged or failed.

Should I replace the slave cylinder before going at the clutch cable? Not sure I would want to tackle the clutch cable myself, sounds like areal bitch from what I can find so far.

Thanks in advance,
Matt

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Re: I Thing I may have a plugged clutch line/

Post by hillsy v2 »

Your diagnosis sounds about right - blocked hose.

I would disconnect the hose from the slave first and see if you can squeeze fluid though it - you might be lucky in that the blockage could be at the fitting at the slave and easily cleared.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Post by sgtcall »

mbeauchene wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:59 pm
Welcome!
Here are a couple of things to check out.

INTRUDER MANUALS AND INFORMATION
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=14168

POSTING PICTURES ON INTRUDERS ALERT
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=13992
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

I am not real sure of the 800 clutch hose situation. Is it the same as the 1400 with the first part a hose that mates up to a hard line under the tank and is hard line the rest of the way?

If it is the problem is most likely in the first part, the flex line, of the line.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Post by Lechy »

What Hillsy said. Plus. the first part of the line is hose, if it sat for a long time, the inner coating can deteriorate and unbond from the wire reinforcement. This can bunch up thereby plugging the line. Mine blew out on the steel part of the line so I measured up and had a SS braided Teflon line made locally (Truck Hydraulic shop). Not cheap but well worth it. When the new line is laid out, the banjo couplings should be orientated at right angle to each other.
Grow old disgracefully young man.

mbeauchene
Tricycles are Cool

Post by mbeauchene »

Herb wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:22 pm
I am not real sure of the 800 clutch hose situation. Is it the same as the 1400 with the first part a hose that mates up to a hard line under the tank and is hard line the rest of the way?

If it is the problem is most likely in the first part, the flex line, of the line.
I have a buddy that makes custom lines and he thought that might be the case. He called it a collapsed inner hose.

mbeauchene
Tricycles are Cool

Post by mbeauchene »

hillsy v2 wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:30 pm
Your diagnosis sounds about right - blocked hose.

I would disconnect the hose from the slave first and see if you can squeeze fluid though it - you might be lucky in that the blockage could be at the fitting at the slave and easily cleared.
Good idea, would sure beat replacing the entire line. I think I'll go ahead and remove the slave while I'm at it to see what kind of shape it's in.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

Lechy wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:39 am
What Hillsy said. Plus. the first part of the line is hose, if it sat for a long time, the inner coating can deteriorate and unbond from the wire reinforcement. This can bunch up thereby plugging the line. Mine blew out on the steel part of the line so I measured up and had a SS braided Teflon line made locally (Truck Hydraulic shop). Not cheap but well worth it. When the new line is laid out, the banjo couplings should be orientated at right angle to each other.
What Lechy says is important.
When the new line is laid out, the banjo couplings should be orientated at right angle to each other. 90 degrees apart.

I made a new line and brazed the lower steel portion to a fitting on the new line. The area at the slave is tight and reusing that end fits cleanly.