LED blinkers

Celtics1
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 2000 Intruder 800

LED blinkers

Post by Celtics1 »

What’s up everyone,
I know this has been asked a bunch of times, so thanks for bearing with me lol

I’m looking to change the stock signals on my 2000 intruder to LEDs. I just want to make sure I have a better idea before I get into it. Not too much electrical experience besides car radios back in high school.
I understand I’ll need a led compatible flasher relay to replace the current one, and that I may need to install diodes for each signal? This bike has just the single indicator light for both blinkers, and I’ve read that is the situation that you need diodes. Side note - these bullet connectors just pull off to be disconnected?

My other main question is on the blinkers themselves, the stock ones have the screw on the side and 1 underneath that connects to the bottom side of the stalk. I don’t want to go wild with modifying it, so I’d prefer to find blinkers that can fit in the stock assembly - I’m curious if anyone has any examples of what they’ve done or if they know the sizes of the bolts/what similar led blinkers you guys have put on.

Appreciate the help!

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Re: LED blinkers

Post by navigator »

As far as diodes go, I am not sure...hopefully an electrical guru will chime in.
IIRC, you can use the stock housings, just replace the incandescent bulbs with LED replacements. 1156 in front (single filaments), 1157 in rear (dual filaments)

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

The bullet connectors in the headlight, just pull apart.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

if you use the original housings with amber lenses, buy white LED bulbs, not colored.

Celtics1
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Celtics1 »

navigator wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:22 am
As far as diodes go, I am not sure...hopefully an electrical guru will chime in.
IIRC, you can use the stock housings, just replace the incandescent bulbs with LED replacements. 1156 in front (single filaments), 1157 in rear (dual filaments)
Appreciate all the help!I misspoke, I am trying to change the blinkers all together, not just the bulbs.
I was meaning to ask if there’s similar setups that have the screw going thru the bottom side, so that it still fits into the same mount, but it seems like mostly im seeing indicators that just thread directly into the hole without that bottom screw…..unless I’m mistaken and I can just thread a new one into the old mount if it’s the right size

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

I have not seen any aftermarket Turn Signals that will bolt-onto the Stock Suzuki Turn Signal Mounting.
I ended up making my own.

In all the Intruders I have seen, the Stock Rubber Mounting does not fit well with any aftermarket Turnsignal mounting methods.

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

Celtics1
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Celtics1 »

Designer wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:26 pm
I have not seen any aftermarket Turn Signals that will bolt-onto the Stock Suzuki Turn Signal Mounting.
I ended up making my own.

In all the Intruders I have seen, the Stock Rubber Mounting does not fit well with any aftermarket Turnsignal mounting methods.
Would love to see your setup if you have anything handy!

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

Celtics1 wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:20 pm
Designer wrote:
I have not seen any aftermarket Turn Signals that will bolt-onto the Stock Suzuki Turn Signal Mounting. I ended up making my own.
Here You Go!
This is my Chopper with a Stock Frame;

viewtopic.php?f=48&t=1193&start=125

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

Kuryakyn makes a small silver bullet which is about the same size as the stock signal. They also make clamps that go on the forks. They can either have a hollow bolt for internal wiring or the external variety. You can run halogen or LED in the housing.
They can be expensive, but it is an option for the front.
You would have to get creative to run them on the rear.

Celtics1
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Celtics1 »

Designer wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:25 pm
Celtics1 wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:20 pm
Designer wrote:
I have not seen any aftermarket Turn Signals that will bolt-onto the Stock Suzuki Turn Signal Mounting. I ended up making my own.
Here You Go!
This is my Chopper with a Stock Frame;

viewtopic.php?f=48&t=1193&start=125
Wow looks great! Thanks for the pic

Celtics1
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Celtics1 »

navigator wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:17 am
Kuryakyn makes a small silver bullet which is about the same size as the stock signal. They also make clamps that go on the forks. They can either have a hollow bolt for internal wiring or the external variety. You can run halogen or LED in the housing.
They can be expensive, but it is an option for the front.
You would have to get creative to run them on the rear.
From everything I’ve seen, it looks like fork clamps on the front and mounting them on the fender in the back is probably the way to go.
Thanks!