Changed oil now clutch is slipping!

69intruder
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: 96 intruder

Changed oil now clutch is slipping!

Post by 69intruder »

Bike worked great drove it a few 100 miles no slipping at all, 2 days ago I changed the oil with Valvoline 10-40 motorcycle oil now the clutch is slipping badly. Clutch fluid is fresh and the compensating hole is open. Should I wait and hope it settles in or just change it? It slips badly in 4th and 5th with 1/2 throttle. I wish I didn't change the oil now, it wasn't even dirty! damit! :bonk:

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Re: Changed oil now clutch is slipping!

Post by hillsy v2 »

Is the oil synthetic? Intruders want dino oil.

69intruder
Studying MC Handbook

Post by 69intruder »

it was dino but I suspect there was synthetic in it because the old oil was very clean like new. Not sure what I should do. I looked around for a Suzuki clutch kit but I can't find factory kit. I see EBC brand buts only the fricton plates no steels. The bike works very well before this............. very disappointed!

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Post by sgtcall »

I would start with Springs before you go all in on the clutch. Barrnett springs come highly recommended for the 800s. Or try Rotella 15w40 diesel oil and see if that helps. Plenty of threads here on both to look into.

And don't forget the Star Washers.
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

Chances are good your clutch plates do hot need replacing.
As mentioned, Barnett springs for the 800.
Clean the discs with spray brake cleaner, dry them and then soak them in dino 10-40.
Reassemble.
Pay close attention to the wave washer orientation, and the first friction disc (closest to the engine) is different from the rest and must go back in the same position.

69intruder
Studying MC Handbook

Post by 69intruder »

I ordered the springs, will try that 1st.

Long long time ago friend of mine had a very old Low Rider. Clutch slipped terrible and he asked the dealer about fixing it and they told him major work type deal so I took the derby cover off and looked at it. Hmmm looked pretty simple to me so I took the springs out and added a flat washer behind each one. Clutch never slipped again. Pretty cheap fix. The weirdest thing is I haven't seen him in 25 years BUT ran into him TODAY! the old harley is long parked back in the corner just like it was when I last worked on it! And now my clutch is slipping same on the day I meet up with him! Spooky stuff.

69intruder
Studying MC Handbook

Post by 69intruder »

sgtcall wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:26 pm
I would start with Springs before you go all in on the clutch. Barrnett springs come highly recommended for the 800s. Or try Rotella 15w40 diesel oil and see if that helps. Plenty of threads here on both to look into.

And don't forget the Star Washers.
Where are the star washers?

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

69intruder wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:52 pm
Where are the star washers?
You put them on your battery terminals.

Long standing contentious issue with the Intruders....

69intruder
Studying MC Handbook

Post by 69intruder »

Well i found out what happened, previous owner was using Maxima 10-40 full synthetic race oil in the bike. So I went to the dealer and bought a gal(85 freakin dollars!) and changed it back. Clutch works much better now but If I hit it really hard in 5th still skips some SO I'm going to replace the clutch and springs and go to Valvoline dino.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

69intruder wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:04 pm
Well i found out what happened, previous owner was using Maxima 10-40 full synthetic race oil in the bike. So I went to the dealer and bought a gal(85 freakin dollars!) and changed it back. Clutch works much better now but If I hit it really hard in 5th still skips some SO I'm going to replace the clutch and springs and go to Valvoline dino.
There's still old (new) oil in the friction plates. You may or may not be able to wash this out - but if are are at the point where you have the clutch apart it's probably a good idea just to put in new friction plates and ditch the synthetic.

Glad you worked it out.

69intruder
Studying MC Handbook

Post by 69intruder »

Thanks to all.

69intruder
Studying MC Handbook

Post by 69intruder »

I pulled it all apart today, found the clutch looks like new but the springs were weak. I installed a new clutch and plates anyway and new EBC heavy duty springs. Now I need to decide what oil to put back in it. The new clutch plates came pre-oiled so who knows what they used. I'm thinking using the Valvoline again or Rotella?????

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

At the risk of the dreaded oil thread...any dino 10w-40 or rotella 15w-40. JMO. :OhNo;

69intruder
Studying MC Handbook

Post by 69intruder »

LOL I know oil is a touchy subject. The stock springs were really weak, that was the issue. The old disks looked exactly like the new ones and measured exactly the same. What I did notice with the Valvoline dino the trans seem to shift easier. With the synthetic Maxima the trans really feels rough. Me thinks i'mma buy more of the valvoline dino and ride off happy. :cheers: I saved the Maxima oil because it was 85 bucks, it looked like new coming with no discoloration at all. It surprises me the inside of this engine looks absolutely brand new inside @ 18k ? You'd think being almost 30 years old there would be something but nothing at all. Just surprising to see.

69intruder
Studying MC Handbook

Post by 69intruder »

I forgot to mention something, THOSE SAFETY PINS IN THE FOOTPEG CRADLE BOLTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! insane! It took longer to get them out than to change the clutch. I had to break them apart then force the bolts out. Bet I spent 2 hours removing 4 bolts. Every available curse word was used.

I discovered something else too, someone before me did some serious right turns. The right footpeg edge has at least a 1/2 inch ground off and the cradle is worn hard on the right side.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

With regards to the oil debate - if you're going to use "non motorcycle" oils then diesel oils are generally safe for wet clutches. This includes the synthetic stuff but dino is far cheaper....and dare I say "safer" :OhNo;

azazelakira
Riding on Learners Permit
My Bike: VS1400 2002

Post by azazelakira »

hillsy v2 wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:53 pm
With regards to the oil debate - if you're going to use "non motorcycle" oils then diesel oils are generally safe for wet clutches. This includes the synthetic stuff but dino is far cheaper....and dare I say "safer" :OhNo;
What is dino oil? I use t4 rotella for big rigs non synthetic.
More RPMs please :putput:

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

azazelakira wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:14 am
hillsy v2 wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:53 pm
What is dino oil? I use t4 rotella for big rigs non synthetic.

Dino is short for dinosaur - meaning mineral oil.

69intruder
Studying MC Handbook

Post by 69intruder »

When I hear DINO OIL I think nonsynthetic, ok my eyes are open again after a nice nights sleep. I'm off to the local walmart to score some valvoline MC oil and if they no gots i'mma buy the valvoline atv oil. For some reason they always have that?

Then I filler up and try her out, I hope she is kind. LMAO

69intruder
Studying MC Handbook

Post by 69intruder »

Put the Valvoline dino in and clutch doesn't slip at all with the new clutch pack and EBC heavy springs. I'll say 2 things about non synthetic oil, 1 the engine alot quieter and 2 the trans shifts much smoother.