Hard starting hot

69intruder
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: 96 intruder

Hard starting hot

Post by 69intruder »

96 Intruder starts great cold and drives perfect but if I stop for fuel and the bike is off for a few mins when I try to start it the starter engages and starts to turn over the engine but can't and stops. If i let off the starter button and try again it will usually start right up. Yesterday I was out for a 100 mile ride and at the end of the day I stopped just for a min, turned off the engine and tried multiple times but it would not turn over. The starter engaged but couldn't crank the engine. After 3 tries I let it sit for 5 mins then it started right up. Was about 45 degrees out, I figured in the 5 mins it cooled off a little and thats why it started easier? Anyone ever have such a issue? Thanks

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Re: Hard starting hot

Post by hillsy v2 »

Did I see this on FB?

Suspect the starter solenoid. Had the exact same issue on my old GS1150.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

Or loose cable connections.

69intruder
Studying MC Handbook

Post by 69intruder »

No I don't do face book, but I was thinking something electrical too but I think it might be hard to track down because it doesn't do all the time. I'm going to take a VOM along next ride and watch battery voltage when it stops cranking. If its low maybe the battery is bad because it is old. If high I'll pull the solenoid and rebuild it if its possible. Someone added a trickle charger cable setup to the battery so maybe its battery connection too. Guess I'll have to check carefully because I'm too old to stuck in the middle of nowhere. Thanks for suggestions, I'm a electrical engineer so electrical is right up sleeve. I was thinking because no compression release it was stalling the starter hot but it didn't make sense because if I hit it again it normally starts right up.

PS how do you all deal with everyone following too close ALL the time? I haven't ridden in 25 years and back then it was nothing like it is now. I can't go a mile without someone on my azz and i'm driving the posted speed limit or better. I know I need to get frt and rear facing cameras, maybe just the presence of seeing cams will stop some of it. Seriously my entire ride is spent in the mirrors and I'm not really enjoying myself. So far I've gone about 200 miles and 80% of them were with someone following way too close for my comfort. If I need to stop quickly I know I would get hit. :confused:

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

If EVERYONE is up your azz ALL the time then maybe you're not actually doing the speed limit? Maybe try your phone GPS to plot your speed - your bike speedo might be out.

69intruder
Studying MC Handbook

Post by 69intruder »

no its right, everyone is just nuts driving fast here. Everyone is at least 10 over and most of the roads here are 45 so 50-55 on roads made for 45 on a motorcycle with pot holes and poorly maintained roads just makes for no fun. Another effed up thing is the faster I go they just speed up! Same deal in the car but in the car it doesn't stress me out. Years ago it was nothing like this. I've ridden well over 100k miles on a motorcycle, I know what it feels like to be comfortable with traffic. Last week from the ski resort where i live to Allentown mostly is 45 and I was doing 55 all the way with a line of cars behind me! Close behind me. After about 15 miles I had enough and pulled over with cars beeping at me as they went by. Mostly Jersey plates that come over to PA to go skiing. I'm mounting cams frt and rear for this reason alone. While back over the summer I stopped at a yard sale, guy had alot of riding wear for sale. I bought a few things and asked him why he was selling all this. He was about 40, he told me too many close calls and tailgaters had enough. I understand now what he was experiencing. I'm almost 70 so maybe its just not for me anymore. Thinking about finding a classic car and messing with that instead but unfortunately I love to ride. Fortunately this intruder does kick azz so it easy to power away from some of these losers but that gets old quickly when I'm out to relax and enjoy myself. Thats the trouble today, no one enjoys the ride its just another part of their crappy boring electric computerized molded lives and I'm in the way enjoying the view they will never see.

69intruder
Studying MC Handbook

Post by 69intruder »

I changed the final drive oil today and what I found makes me think the rear seal is leaking. I noticed when I bought the bike the rear rim was very dirty with old dried dirty oil, but its not leaking any oil. When I dumped the old oil I was greeted with 250 weight gear oil and lots and lots of glitter. I refilled with Yamaha 80-90 and ordered some Amsoil 75-140 severe gear.

I found a very low mileage drive on fleabay for 120, think i'm going to swap it out.

DonGee
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: 2005 Boulevard S50

Post by DonGee »

Can't help with the hard starting, but regarding tailgaters, this may not be the answer you want to hear. Yeah, there are more idiots on the road. For your sanity and enjoyment, I suggest two options.

1. Find roads where there is less traffic.
2. If #1 is not possible or practical, take a deep breath, pull over, and let them get the ticket. Feel free to offer a one-finger salute as they zoom by.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

If everyone is speeding you should probably contact your local member and suggest more speed cameras. They are obviously missing out on a ton of revenue if everyone is doing it.

69intruder
Studying MC Handbook

Post by 69intruder »

Local and state police are thin here, you can do as you please unless you get very unlucky they are around. Budgets are so tight they don't do much patrolling and only go out on calls. I must have called 5 times the past few years about the traffic and speeding on the mt road going past the ski area. They do nothing and basically told me to move if I don't like it! Honestly that was the response from the PA state police. We went to eat yesterday about 45 mins from here and I watched the speedo in the car like a hawk. There was NO ROADS where traffic wasn't at least 10 over and on the highway its standard 20 over. The roads here in eastern PA are terrible condition, just not safe for a motorcycle 10-20 over all the time. I found a nice 92 Trans Am low miles I'm going to look at this week.

Last week I drove the bike about 100 miles up the back to Hickory run state park. From Jim Thorpe I took rt 903 2 lane rd , speed limit is 45-55 I was going 10 over the posted entire time. Till I got up to the turn off to the park at least 10 cars=trucks had passed me and there was a line of at least 10 cars behind me. Its just nuts here anymore.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

When the chance of getting caught is low people will do what they want.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

69intruder
Studying MC Handbook

Post by 69intruder »

Unfortunately when someone is pacing me on the MC I can't focus on the road and traffic. Then I get extremely agitated and had enough. Shame you just can't enjoy yourself today, too many cars on the road and everyone is racing to go no place. When I was working my job was 45 mins away and I always allowed 1 hr to get there. Today people live an hour away and allow 45 to get there.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

I am sorry to hear that the roads/drivers in your area are such a problem. You might try looking for roads with less traffic.

Even in San Diego county I was able to find roads with minimal traffic. After riding to work all week on freeways with 6+ lanes of rush hour traffic I and the wife would go out on weekends and ride the back roads, leisurely.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

If the roads you want to ride to get away from the cagers are crap.....maybe you should look for an ADV bike? Even the mid sized ones can handle highway speeds easily.

69intruder
Studying MC Handbook

Post by 69intruder »

LOL how can a old man look cool on a ADV bike? LOL

I looked at the 92 trans Am today, very nice cool car bright red and nice rumble to the exhaust, BUT compared to a motorcycle it don't do a dam thing to excite me! This Intruder just so dam cool I can't explain how it makes me feel. Nice turquoise blue with nice loud but not obnoxious exhaust and the power is just over the top(before the clutch started slipping today) it whispers to me lets go have fun.

Pio412
Practicing Bicycling
My Bike: 2000 Suzuki Intruder VS800GL

Post by Pio412 »

I live in western pa. All the young kids love to tailgate here...... I have noticed though since i added much louder pipes to my intruder, people tend to stay way farther back. They don't like the sound and the smell :ShitGrin:
Designer/Engineer

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

Mount a windshield squirter tank in the sissy bar, place the nozzles facing rearward. Use a liquid of your choosing. :cheers: :rag:

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Herb »

navigator wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:29 am
Mount a windshield squirter tank in the sissy bar, place the nozzles facing rearward. Use a liquid of your choosing. :cheers: :rag:
:lolfall: :lmao: :cheers:

69intruder
Studying MC Handbook

Post by 69intruder »

Years ago back in the 90s I had a few encounters with tailgaters and started carrying LARGE CHROME BALL BEARINGS in my jacket pocket. I remember driving along the MT road on a beautiful summer Sunday afternoon when a soccer mom came up on us and refused to pass. No one else on the road straight flat you could see for a few miles. I slowed to a crawl and STOPPED and the stupid woman in her soccer van would not go around. I pulled out the ball bearings and held them in the air to show her what she was asking for. SHE INSTANTLY DROVE AROUND and sped off!

69intruder
Studying MC Handbook

Post by 69intruder »

Years ago back in the 90s I had a few encounters with tailgaters and started carrying LARGE CHROME BALL BEARINGS in my jacket pocket. I remember driving along the MT road on a beautiful summer Sunday afternoon when a soccer mom came up on us and refused to pass. No one else on the road straight flat you could see for a few miles. I slowed to a crawl and STOPPED and the stupid woman in her soccer van would not go around. I pulled out the ball bearings and held them in the air to show her what she was asking for. SHE INSTANTLY DROVE AROUND and sped off!