Tire Valve Stem Fishing Tool

LSU Tiger
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: 2000 VS 800 Intruder

Tire Valve Stem Fishing Tool

Post by LSU Tiger »

I had a friend change my 2000 intruder vs 800 15" tire. He bought a tire valve fishing tool from NAPA but it was too big to go thru the rim hole. It fit .453 to .625 inch rim holes. Dale also looked at carquest but they carried the same. I looked on amazon and did a google search. None of them specified the rim hole size. Does anyone know the rim hole size and where i might buy a tire valve fishing tool that will work on my fifteen inch rear tire. Thanks. Joey Broome

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Re: Tire Valve Stem Fishing Tool

Post by navigator »

If you are talking about a fishing tool to help you pull the valve stem thru from the inside...any that thread on the outside won't work.
I made my own with a valve core and a long piece if thin wire...twist the wire thru the top of the valve core and then thread the core into the valve stem. :ShitGrin: :cheers:

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

I'm not sure why you need one. I have always just pushed the stem up and put a nut on it to hold it until I got the tire on then pulled it up far enough to get the air chuck on it. I have used this method since my first motorcycle tire repair/change over 60 years ago.

Car tires and tubes are made different and require a different procedure.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

Herb wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:04 am
I'm not sure why you need one. I have always just pushed the stem up and put a nut on it to hold it until I got the tire on then pulled it up far enough to get the air chuck on it. I have used this method since my first motorcycle tire repair/change over 60 years ago.

Some of the 90 degree valve stems can be tough to fish through.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

navigator wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:02 pm
Herb wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:04 am

Some of the 90 degree valve stems can be tough to fish through.
My 1400 has a 90deg stem and I pull it through before I finish mounting the tire, put the nut on with a couple of threads. After the tire is mounted I push it almost all the way back in to make sure the tub isn't pinched then air up the tire. Never had a problem with it.

The only time I never mounted the tires on my bikeswas when I sprained a wrist pulling the wheel because I was clumsy and fell backwards I had it mounted at a shop and as soon as I was able to use the wrist put the thing on the bike.

A lot of tires in almost 400,000 miles on the 2 bikes, not counting on how many I did on other bikes and dirt bikes.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

ok :putput:

LSU Tiger
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: 2000 VS 800 Intruder

Post by LSU Tiger »

Thanks. I got the tire back on the bike. Running great.