Neutral and temp light out

gman04
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 1996 suzuki intruder vs800

Neutral and temp light out

Post by gman04 »

So i bought my 96 vs800 last april for my first bike. everything was stock and worked perfectly. i was in an accident last october which caused me to have to do some repair work. well ever since that crash my neutral light hasn’t come on but it will roll around and act like it’s in neutral just fine. on top of that just a few days ago my oil temp light stopped coming on when i turn the electrical on. i’m thinking it might be a bulb or a bad wire but i have no idea on how to go about replacing them. any help would be appreciated.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Re: Neutral and temp light out

Post by Herb »

I would be most inclined to check bulbs first.

You can access the manuals and wiring diagrams in the drop box. They are down loadable and they can be accessed from here:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=14168
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!
My Bike: Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster

Post by sgtcall »

Welcome!
Here are a couple of things to check out.

INTRUDER MANUALS AND INFORMATION
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=14168

POSTING PICTURES ON INTRUDERS ALERT
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=13992
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Post by hillsy v2 »

Both circuits are completed by grounding to the engine. You can check the operation by removing the wires from either the neutral switch or the oil pressure sensor at the engine and grounding the wires. Each light should come on.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

You really don't need the neutral light so I would just leave it. Mine stopped working about 2 years after I bought my intruder and I still had it for another 12 years after that. Hell my speedometer didn't work for about 2 years at one point but, in the end I broke down and fixed it.
If you have any type of electrical issue, have your battery load tested before you do anything else. Any auto parts store will test it for free.

sgtcall
LICENSE SUSPENDED!

Post by sgtcall »

From the service manual.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

gman04 wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:08 am
So i bought my 96 vs800 last april for my first bike. everything was stock and worked perfectly. i was in an accident last october which caused me to have to do some repair work. well ever since that crash my neutral light hasn’t come on but it will roll around and act like it’s in neutral just fine. on top of that just a few days ago my oil temp light stopped coming on when i turn the electrical on. i’m thinking it might be a bulb or a bad wire but i have no idea on how to go about replacing them. any help would be appreciated.
Your accident may have pinched a wire in the cluster, it is pretty tight in there.
Removing the one screw in front under the speedo and removing the cover will expose the wires, give them a wiggle.