96 vs800 fuel pump circuit description

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Re: 96 vs800 fuel pump circuit description

Post by hillsy v2 »

69intruder wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:10 am
Of course it has moving parts but the stock Suzuki pump uses electronics not points to operate. I think they are using the ignition to tickle a transistor in the fuel pump to operate it. But without any diagrams I can't prove it. How can I attach a picture?
They are not transistorised - they are mechanical points.

Here's a set of replacement points for the 1500 pump:

https://www.wemoto.com/bike/suzuki/vl/1 ... int-switch

It's really not voodoo - it's just a mechanical points setup that stops when there is too much pressure to operate the pump diaphragm.

69intruder
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: 96 intruder

Post by 69intruder »

Image inside pump ImageI guess this is the correct diagram for the pump with 4 wires, hard to understand how it works. The reason I don't believe its right is my pump does not run when the starter button is pressed. I know the 1400's it does so this may be for the 1400's but its the only diagram I can find. Spring is still 2 months away so I have time to come up with something. Prolly gonna carry a spare pump and ignitor unit. Even this doesn't show the control circuit, its a little crazy if you ask me?

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Post by hillsy v2 »

The control circuit in your picture does the same job as the remote relay on the 1400 - it stops the pump operating if there is no signal from the coil (IE: the engine is not running). The points for the pump are underneath the circuit board.

You can connect a 2 wire pump to the O/W wire (+ve) and the B/W wire (-ve or ground). That way the pump receives power when the ignition is turned on. You do not need the relay for the bike to run - hundreds of people have bypassed the fuel cut-off relays on Intruders without any dramas.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

The 800 is not wired like the 1400.
Your pump does not run when the starter button is pressed...unless you have the clutch pulled in. Then it does. You can't prime the carbs like on the 1400.

69intruder
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: 96 intruder

Post by 69intruder »

I tried without the clutch pulled in, no pumpee. Pull the clutch in and it starts pumping. Next I want to change the coolant, I hope that goes ok. Looks straight up so we will see. I found a buyer in MI wants to fly here PA and drive it home. I want to be sure he has no issues driving back. Bout 650 miles all highway<thats alot on a 800 Intruder to be honest @ 70 mph with the stock final drive gear. I'm probably going to use my Subaru to run out west this time, I think time has limited my riding days and how much I can stay in the saddle. I'm almost 70.