Final straw

Deedubforum
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: 96 intruder 800 epa edition

Re: Final straw

Post by Deedubforum »

Well I’ve been enjoying this bike but noticed today some oil on the radiator and on my jeans left pant leg, turns out my fork seal is weeping a little and it’s blowing onto the rest of the bike so I guess it’s time for some new seals, is this a hard job? Any tips or suggestions before I start looking into it? Never changed fork seals before any advice helps.
Not a goodbye , an I’ll see ya later :cheers:

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Post by hillsy v2 »

Deedubforum wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:39 pm
Well I’ve been enjoying this bike but noticed today some oil on the radiator and on my jeans left pant leg, turns out my fork seal is weeping a little and it’s blowing onto the rest of the bike so I guess it’s time for some new seals, is this a hard job? Any tips or suggestions before I start looking into it? Never changed fork seals before any advice helps.
Google / YouTube it. Intruders have "normal" forks (not upside down) and it's pretty much the same procedure for any bike with these types of forks.

Some tips? Crack the fork caps whilst the forks are still in the clamps. Undo the damper rod bolt with the fork still assembled (springs in). The spring under tension stops the damper rod from spinning. Rattle gun helps with this.

Check the fork tubes for any pitting or chips where it passes the seal - these will damage the seals and cause the leak. If you have rust on the fork uppers you can clean this off by rubbing with scrunched up aluminium foil and some WD40.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

I don't know what kind of facility/tools you have to work with or your experience level but the job really isn't that difficult. Time consuming but not hard

There are complete instruction in the manual which is available in the dropbox.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=14168

There are also a number of videos on youtube that show what needs to be done.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

Deedubforum
Studying MC Handbook

Post by Deedubforum »

hillsy v2 wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:27 pm
Deedubforum wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:39 pm
Google / YouTube it. Intruders have "normal" forks (not upside down) and it's pretty much the same procedure for any bike with these types of forks.

Some tips? Crack the fork caps whilst the forks are still in the clamps. Undo the damper rod bolt with the fork still assembled (springs in). The spring under tension stops the damper rod from spinning. Rattle gun helps with this.

Check the fork tubes for any pitting or chips where it passes the seal - these will damage the seals and cause the leak. If you have rust on the fork uppers you can clean this off by rubbing with scrunched up aluminium foil and some WD40.
Okay thanks, is it safe to assume then that any fork seal kit will do assuming it’s the correct diameters and what not ?

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

Basically you have a seal and a dust cover for each fork.
Lots of cheap chinese knockoffs out there, and some name brands such as All Balls.
But for the money, I have found that OEM work the best.
A 2 foot section of 1-1/2" white PVC pipe from home depot for install and you are set. A long allen wrench for the damper bolt at the bottom of the fork and a 22mm socket for the cap.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Post by hillsy v2 »

Seals are essentially perishable items which can go hard prematurely if they are not stored correctly. This can apply to both OEM and aftermarket but OEM ones seem to have a better track record for this. All Balls are pretty good from my experience - I imagine it's because they have a relatively high turnover if stock.

Deedubforum
Studying MC Handbook

Post by Deedubforum »

Okay makes sense what you guys are saying I’ll see if I can find a pair of oem ones and definitely gonna make that pvc slider tool.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

with the 800, you can use a piece of pvc pipe with no modification, nothing to "make", slot or etc.

69intruder
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: 96 intruder

Post by 69intruder »

Good work, finding a broken off needle like that is very unusual to say the least. I've probably done a few thousand carbs in my day and never have seen that. When I adjusted my carbs on the 800 I started out at 2 turns and ended up at 2 5/8 turns on both carbs. Idles nice and runs great in this 40 degree weather. Probably need to reduce them a 1/4 turn or so when summer arrives. Factory setting was 1 1/2 turns from the factory but it was insanely lean in cold weather and constantly POPPED coming off idle. Ride ON!

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

69intruder wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:59 pm
Good work, finding a broken off needle like that is very unusual to say the least. I've probably done a few thousand carbs in my day and never have seen that. When I adjusted my carbs on the 800 I started out at 2 turns and ended up at 2 5/8 turns on both carbs. Idles nice and runs great in this 40 degree weather. Probably need to reduce them a 1/4 turn or so when summer arrives. Factory setting was 1 1/2 turns from the factory but it was insanely lean in cold weather and constantly POPPED coming off idle. Ride ON!
...fork seals...
perhaps the wrong thread?

Deedubforum
Studying MC Handbook

Post by Deedubforum »

lol got the seals changed was much easier then I made it out to be in my head, but now I’ve got another thing, at some point in this bikes life the plastic headlight housing(why the hell is it plastic?) broke and while riding it became worse so now I bought an auxiliary metal headlight from drag specialities, my question is since the bucket is about the same size, will I be able to fit all the crap back in there? If not what are some suggestions on what to do.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

Not knowing which bucket you bought....If it is smaller, you may have a tough time stuffing it all back in.
I went with a bucket and lens package from Adjure, which is deeper and allows the use of a LED lamp.

Deedubforum
Studying MC Handbook

Post by Deedubforum »

navigator wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:39 pm
Not knowing which bucket you bought....If it is smaller, you may have a tough time stuffing it all back in.
I went with a bucket and lens package from Adjure, which is deeper and allows the use of a LED lamp.
Okay, yea it’s basically exactly the same shape and look just maybe 5% smaller then the stock one so I may need to make the opening on the underside bigger to allow room for all the wires since right now it’s just the 3 wires for low high and ground.

Deedubforum
Studying MC Handbook

Post by Deedubforum »

Not the greatest look in the world but it’s close enough was also basically plug in play so I’m pleased definitely brighter then stock which is cool.

69intruder
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: 96 intruder

Post by 69intruder »

navigator wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:37 pm
69intruder wrote:
...fork seals...
the thread was about a carb problem, which evolved into a leaking fork seal after repairing the carb. If you read the entire thread you will get it. I;m not forking around LOL. I was congratulating them on their diagnoses skills, thats not a easy find or repair.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

69intruder wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:40 am
navigator wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:37 pm
69intruder wrote:
...fork seals...
the thread was about a carb problem, which evolved into a leaking fork seal after repairing the carb. If you read the entire thread you will get it. I;m not forking around LOL. I was congratulating them on their diagnoses skills, thats not a easy find or repair.
My Bad. :cheers:

Deedubforum
Studying MC Handbook

Post by Deedubforum »

So my job requires parking passes that are inverted and go on a windshield otherwise I’ve got nowhere to put it on my bike, for that reason as well as the actual wind deflection purposes I’m going to install one does anyone have a recommendation for the 800? Maybe just a universal one that clamps to forks?

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

This is what I have on my 1400. Memphis shades has a large selection of shields.

https://memphisshades.com/products/memp ... windshield
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

+1 on the Memphis shades slim.
The 7" cutout works with the stock headlight, 15" high is good unless you are extremely tall.
you want to look over the shield rather than through it...like when they get fogged up.

The mounting bracket is sold separately.
The rings that go around the forks can be flopped to move the shield forward or back, be sure to clear your speedometer housing.

Deedubforum
Studying MC Handbook

Post by Deedubforum »

Okay looks nice you guys think that would look weird with the 5.75 inch headlight though? :ahha: