Final straw

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Re: Final straw

Post by navigator »

Deedubforum wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:05 pm
Okay looks nice you guys think that would look weird with the 5.75 inch headlight though? :ahha:
No, 5.75 is the glass, add the rim and you are over 6.25. Leaves about enough room for your finger all the way around.

Deedubforum
Studying MC Handbook
My Bike: 96 intruder 800 epa edition

Post by Deedubforum »

Okay heard I’ll lyk how it goes
Not a goodbye , an I’ll see ya later :cheers:

Deedubforum
Studying MC Handbook

Post by Deedubforum »

So I decided to go with the slipstreamer spitfire, love the look and fitment, I took the bike to work today on the highway for the first time, took it up to 80 and man this bike screams with the exhaust on it, definitely need some good earbuds, I knew the bike was geared low or high? Either way the rpm’s were sky high at that speed so my question is, is there anything to look out for with that? Any issues with running high rpm for duration? Obviously it’s a motor vehicle so it’s made to go that speed but rlly sounds strained let me know.

Lechy
Joined a 1000cc Club
My Bike: VS800 Honda Phantom 200

Post by Lechy »

The early pre export Jap models red lined at 9K RPM, subsequent export models were downrated to red line at 7.5K RPM. So the engines cannot reach full potential. For highway use many swap out the final drive for one off a 1400 to lower the revs at cruising speeds.
Grow old disgracefully young man.

Deedubforum
Studying MC Handbook

Post by Deedubforum »

Is the final drive one of the gears In the rear “diff”?

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

Deedubforum wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:24 am
Is the final drive one of the gears In the rear “diff”?
Yes,....sort of.

You must replace the entire "Diff" unit though.

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

The 800 LOVES high rpm's.
Unlike bikes with a rev limiter, that will grenade an engine when going over redline, the 800 never reaches it's redline. The carbs will not deliver enough fuel to get there. You will get well over 100mph with no danger of hurting the engine. It may sound like it is screaming, but it's loving it.

Deedubforum
Studying MC Handbook

Post by Deedubforum »

navigator wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:01 am
The 800 LOVES high rpm's.
Unlike bikes with a rev limiter, that will grenade an engine when going over redline, the 800 never reaches it's redline. The carbs will not deliver enough fuel to get there. You will get well over 100mph with no danger of hurting the engine. It may sound like it is screaming, but it's loving it.
good to know I figured the smaller stroke and what not probably makes for that, still may look into the 1400 final drive for fuel economy if I decide to go on longer trips, and maybe also my ear health lol

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

Deedubforum wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:49 pm
good to know I figured the smaller stroke and what not probably makes for that, still may look into the 1400 final drive for fuel economy if I decide to go on longer trips, and maybe also my ear health lol
I, long ago, took to using Ear Plugs when Riding. and now will never Ride without them.

I noticed the prolonged, and rather loud, Wind Noise in my ears was making my shoulders and upper back muscles tense up. I first used the plastic Ear Plugs ( that go into the Ear Canal). Wayyyy too uncomfortable. Now I ride with the Beeswax Ear Plugs and cannot do without them. They act as more a "cap" over the Ear. You can still hear well, for they take off about 35 DB from the Road Noise/Wind Noise.

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!