LED turn signal relay question

jfaith15
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 2003 Suzuki Intruder VS800

LED turn signal relay question

Post by jfaith15 »

I saw other people post about this topic, but I wasn’t sure what to make of the answers. Sorry if this is repetitive - I’ve never done anything like this before.

The previous owner of my 2003 VS800 told me the bike’s four turn signals were aftermarket LED’s. He said I’d need an LED-compatible turn signal relay to pass MA inspection, otherwise the signals would flash too fast.

I need an LED-compatible 2-pin turn signal relay, and the part number for the OEM relay is 38610-26E01 - that’s all I know. Amazon seemed to have many compatible ones, but that felt suspiciously simple. Is it really that simple and I’m just overthinking this?

Should the relay be a specific voltage or amperage or anything like? Does it make a difference that both the front and rear turn signals are aftermarket? Is $10 a normal price? Are any recommended?
I put my faith in Youtube and strangers on the internet to solve my problems.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Re: LED turn signal relay question

Post by navigator »

Any parts store should have a 2 pin, electronic, signal flasher, for a reasonable price.
The stock 2 pin flasher is a thermal type, and doesn't work well with LED's, it's meant for incandescent.
Don't overthink it, it's an electronic flasher that will work with any LED turn signal, which most new cars today have.