Footrest won't reattach to frame

Hadrian
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: 1990 Suzuki Intruder 750

Re: Footrest won't reattach to frame

Post by Hadrian »

Lechy wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:56 am
How are you keeping the bike upright without a sidestand? If you can, pack a plinth under the battery box to release any stress on the frame, as Nav suggested, loosen the 4 bolts holding the rh frame section to give a bit of wiggle room. When you finally get things sorted don't forget to fit new split pins in the drilled bolts it's a very important safety feature.
Once I realized my error mid-job I stood the bike up and used 2x4's to create a stand under the battery-ish area. The wood sits on the frame all the way across the bike and holds it upright at the moment. Those safety pins crack me up, they wanted to make this as hard as possible, couldn't just use some loc tight haha.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: Two 1400 Custom Made Choppers

Post by Designer »

Hadrian wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:45 am
I'm confused about how this part could possibly be a structural part? Its just a footrest. No other bike I have ever seen has a one piece metal footrest spanning the underside of the frame of the bike. In any case thank you for letting me know.
It's strength in holding up the Bike when on the Kick Stand comes in large part to the Footrest Bracket going al the way over to the Right Side and attaching to the Frame at that point.

Hadrian wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 9:31 am
Yes or bent the receiving brackets that are welded to the frame. This is a great idea but if I remember correctly I need to move the frame outwards not inwards so I dont think the ratchet straps would work, I can't recall for sure but I will look into this when I get back home to confirm.
If indeed you need to move the frame outwards, that might not be so difficult.

Before attempting such,...could you send us some pictures of existing conditions?

It may be a compound problem of the Frame being tweaked AND the Receiving Brackets on the Frame bent in such a manner the they will accept the Bolts at an unworkable angle (relative to the Footrest Bracket)

Time To Ride Country Two Laners. :ShitGrinandThumb:

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS
Si vis pacem, para bellum!

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock
My Bike: Too many to list

Post by hillsy v2 »

Hadrian wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 9:35 am
Those safety pins crack me up, they wanted to make this as hard as possible, couldn't just use some loc tight haha.
They use the same setup on brake torque arms - again, not something you want to come adrift under any circumstances. I've seen many a time where a brake stay bolt has come loose and the nut has only been kept in place by the split pin. Latest one is the bike I have in the garage right now.

Hadrian
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Hadrian »

[/quote] If indeed you need to move the frame outwards, that might not be so difficult.

Before attempting such,...could you send us some pictures of existing conditions?

It may be a compound problem of the Frame being tweaked AND the Receiving Brackets on the Frame bent in such a manner the they will accept the Bolts at an unworkable angle (relative to the Footrest Bracket)
[/quote]

This is my first time posting pictures so bear with me. In the photos what I did was to reattach the right side of the footrest with the brake lines. Ten I let the bike go down onto the kickstand on its left side to see if its weight would be enough to move the frame to marry with the footrest holes. Before I had simply been trying to line them up without any pressure as the bike was vertical. This didn't work unfortunately. There may be too much give in the kick stand. I thought about maybe trying to use a cement block against the footrest with the kickstand up and a rag in between to get better leverage on the weight.

Also thought about using a clap on the the two sections to get them to come together and then another clamp to get it to alight but I dont want to snap anything off doing that...

[/img]

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club
My Bike: VS800

Post by navigator »

Try using a long tapered drift or a punch in one of the holes to align it, then insert bolts in the adjacent holes.
Loosening the right side down tube ends will help.

Hadrian
Tricycles are Cool

Post by Hadrian »

navigator wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 9:04 am
Try using a long tapered drift or a punch in one of the holes to align it, then insert bolts in the adjacent holes.
Good idea! Thank you.

I did see the two bolts on the right side down tube but have been too much of a chicken to mess with them. I will make sure to only loosen them and not remove them. Do they have a torque spec for retightening?

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

Just use the generic torque spec for the bolts diameter.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

No offense to Navigator and his wanting to help,...but,...I have my reservations about this idea.

Given there is an Engine-to-Frame Mounting point not far up from the Foot Rest Mounting "flanges" that are on the Frames Downtube,...this effort might not be as easy to do....remembering the Frame Tube has been bent inwards by a sizeable leaning force when the Footrest Bracket was bolted to it (that caused the mis-alignment needing to be fixed).

CENSORSHIP IS WHAT TYRANTS RESORT TO WHEN THEIR LIES LOOSE THEIR POWER. :space: MORS TYRANNIS

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

Loosen everything up and use a pry-bar to line up the holes. Get all the bolts threaded in before you tighten/torque them.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

If you go this route, may I suggest you be very careful about all that you loosen and how much.

From the pictures ( thank you, btw) you might want to loosen the Left Side Exhaust Header as it appears to be very close to the Frame right now and re set it away from the Frame after you are done.

Also keep in mind that if you loosen the Bolts holding the Removable Lower Frame Tube (which is on the Right side) you will also need to loosen the Forward Engine-to-Frame Mounting Bolt too. This will allow the Ride Side Lower Frame Tube to move outwards so you can align all the 8 Foot Rest Bolts. However, re-tightening the Engine-to-Frame Bolt and the Removeable Lower Frame Tube Bolts will likely not move the Left Side, Bent-in Frame back outwards, ( back to original position). So do keep an eye out for any issues that might crop up over that.

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

hillsy v2 wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 9:44 pm
Loosen everything up and use a pry-bar to line up the holes. Get all the bolts threaded in before you tighten/torque them.
THIS ^^^

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

Were it mine, I would perform an Outward Re-alignment of the bent-in Left Side Frame back to it's original position.

Better longevity and integrity of all the Fasteners/Parts.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

When he pulled the right side loose the mount on the left side would have twisted down from and out from the weight of the bike. Twisting pushint it back up should realign everything. getting it bolted back together should bring the mounts back up where they belong.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

navigator wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2023 7:34 am
hillsy v2 wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 9:44 pm
THIS ^^^
Yeah it ain't rocket science.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

Herb wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2023 8:27 am
When he pulled the right side loose the mount on the left side would have twisted down from and out from the weight of the bike. Twisting pushing it back up should realign everything. getting it bolted back together should bring the mounts back up where they belong.
Yes,. and pushing the Left Side Frame Tube back into it's correct original placement would be the professional "fix".
Doing so would avoid the lateral Sheer Forces on the Foot Rest Bolts caused by the misalignment,.. along with the other non-standard stresses at the Front Engine-to-Frame Mounting and the Two Bolting Points for the Removable Frame Tube.

Using the Method that I am thinking, it shouldn't be too hard to re-straighten it. :space: :dunno:

navigator
Joined a 1100cc Club

Post by navigator »

Hadrian wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 9:27 am
navigator wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 9:04 am
Good idea! Thank you.

I did see the two bolts on the right side down tube but have been too much of a chicken to mess with them. I will make sure to only loosen them and not remove them. Do they have a torque spec for retightening?
How did you make out with your repair attempts?
Inquiring minds want to know.

rikkie
Tricycles are Cool
My Bike: vs700 1986

Post by rikkie »

You can loosen the frame on the right side with the 4 bolts, the front engine mounting behind the radiator and loosen the bracket at the bottom of the radiator. This gives you plenty of room to place the footrest.

Designer
Joined a 1200cc Club

Post by Designer »

Yes,....doing so will allow the Footrest to be attached. :space: However, this will not fix the problem,....that being,..... the Left Side Frame Tube is bent inwards.

This will just move the mis-alignment issues to other nearby spots on the bike, so to speak. Firstly,...the Front Engine Mounting point on the Frame will get bent and/or cracked. Also,. the lateral forces induced on the Foot Rest Bolts ( called Shear) is not a desirable thing. :space: It is the Bolt's weakest Stressing Manner..( those being Tension, Compression, Shear) .

Personally I'd perform a Method to re-align the Left Side Frame Tube outwards to it's original position,....it's not all that difficult, ....and would return things to sound and good order once again.

hillsy v2
Bike out of hock

Post by hillsy v2 »

Maybe the guy should just get another frame.

Herb
Joined a 1200cc Club
My Bike: 1999 1400 intruder

Post by Herb »

Designer wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 1:47 pm
Yes,....doing so will allow the Footrest to be attached. :space: However, this will not fix the problem,....that being,..... the Left Side Frame Tube is bent inwards.

This will just move the mis-alignment issues to other nearby spots on the bike, so to speak. Firstly,...the Front Engine Mounting point on the Frame will get bent and/or cracked. Also,. the lateral forces induced on the Foot Rest Bolts ( called Shear) is not a desirable thing. :space: It is the Bolt's weakest Stressing Manner..( those being Tension, Compression, Shear) .

Personally I'd perform a Method to re-align the Left Side Frame Tube outwards to it's original position,....it's not all that difficult, ....and would return things to sound and good order once again.
Since I cannot inspect the bike in person I am not sure of the real problem. Although from my experience of almost doing the same thing, I can say that it is most likely that the foot peg bracket on the left side is twisted down. If the frame were bent it would be bent in, not out, because the weight of the bike would have pushed the frame in not pulled it out.

When I did it I was pulling the right side bolts and had pulled all but the inner most rear bolt. As I losened it I realized that the weight was on the kickstand and was pulling the crosspiece down. When I went to put the other bolts in they would not line up until I tightened the one bolt that was halfway out. Then everything lined up.

I have pulled the crossmember off numerous times and reinstalled it with no issues.

Keep in mind that all of the metal is mild steel and bends easily. Once everything is realigned the heat and vibration of riding will slowly re-align on it's own.
I can't seem to win the lottery. I think I have used up all of my good luck riding motorcycles.